5.0L or 4.6L - Which One?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
so we're going from pushrod/modular to old moldular/new modular.

Let's talk about rotary engines too while we're at it.

n00bs.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
so we're going from pushrod/modular to old moldular/new modular.

Let's talk about rotary engines too while we're at it.

n00bs.

Well piss people have even taken a old 351 with nothing more then OEM ford parts and push 400 to the tires. So yeah 390 with a blower isn't impressive

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well, if we're going to talk about ford OEM parts... let me tell you 'bout the 03/04 terminator cobra...

forged OEM internals - check.
supercharger - check.
dual overhead bumpsticks - check.
8 bolt crank - check.
oversized oil pick up tube - check.

pffft. all that, straight from the factory.

number of pushrods from the factory with a windage tray? hm? hm?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I think the "modular" term is a misnomer for the Coyote. I don't believe they're modular with anything.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think the "modular" term is a misnomer for the Coyote. I don't believe they're modular with anything.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was true. I haven't looked into any of the coyote swaps going on -- but they seem to be a pretty new design.

The 03/04 Cobra had great factory build parts.

The part about the windage tray was a legitimate question. Any of the old pushrods come with one? or a crank scraper?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
The part about the windage tray was a legitimate question. Any of the old pushrods come with one? or a crank scraper?

Not that I know of. I don't believe the OHV motors turn enough RPM from the factory to see much benefit. That's one of the problems with the 4.6L - they added all this fancy OHC stuff, but didn't have a commensurate increase in the RPM range over the 5.0, so they were not able to realize any gains from all that magical new technology. What's the point of OHCs if you can't spin the crap outta them?

My Coyote turns 7000 rpms stock. The Boss motors even more.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
thats a good point indeed. perhaps better MPGs from less drag on the crank?? ? ??? :dontknow:

but i'm with you on that. lets add a windage tray then not put it too good use.... thannnnks ford. lol.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Maybe the terminators spin more RPM. I dunno all the specifics. I don't the 2v 4.6 shitboxes do no better than the 5.0 in that respect.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
not to throw fuel to the fire, i have stroked 4.6 2v. even at my power level i don't boast power but rather efficiency. 4.6 loses in power and efficiency to a coyote. so i have nothing further to add. it doesn't take rocket science or trying to preach to the choir.

Thank you vermillion ... Being that ur 2v makes more power then 90% of these super had ass 4v's around here ...

Hey cobraracer46 his car has 2 less cams and way more power

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Coyote or pushrod or **** it .... [MENTION=9404]Paul[/MENTION]

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Cobraposer only understands if you post pretty pictures and quote factory literature and magazines and such. That's real tech.

HEY COBRAPOSER - POST YOUR TIMESLIPS.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Cobraposer only understands if you post pretty pictures and quote factory literature and magazines and such. That's real tech.

HEY COBRAPOSER - POST YOUR TIMESLIPS.

Pure awesome post , how's the fox I'm not expecting much updates seeing ur busy as **** these days with house renos and various other stuff.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I'll probably start working on the notch again this fall when it cools off. Right now I'm focused on getting my mom's bathroom remodel done. Once that's done, I have the GT500 brakes and steering wheel swap on the Coyote. THEN, I can start again on the notch. Although there's been some progress that just isn't reflected in my build thread yet. Haven't gotten around to taking/posting pics.

Paul.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'll probably start working on the notch again this fall when it cools off. Right now I'm focused on getting my mom's bathroom remodel done. Once that's done, I have the GT500 brakes and steering wheel swap on the Coyote. THEN, I can start again on the notch. Although there's been some progress that just isn't reflected in my build thread yet. Haven't gotten around to taking/posting pics.

Paul.

Nice dude , yea gotta make mommas bathroom nice dude ,can't wait to see coyote updates and fox

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
you're welcome musturd... Modular aspect comes in mind that the same basic architecture and tooling between 4.6, 5.4 and yotes. they each share the same block styling and can be assembled in the same plant. although "yotes" have differences. beefier powdered rods and cylinder material are the main differences. the head cooling and head geometry is the special uniqueness. The yote boss engine "roadrunner" is just an upgraded intake manifold. I will add that Ford should have evolved quicker to the "yote" engine. We all know how ford spans out evolution. 30+ years from pushrod to 20+ years of modular OHC to "yotes" .. i'm just waiting a few years to see enthusiast workings of the "yote" engine as the previous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online