600hp supporting mods

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Is a windstar intake really going to be enough to get you to 600hp? I know I'm a V8 guy, but I find it hard to believe that a top tier manifold came on a mini-van. Haha. Why not look into sheet metal intakes?

He only needs like 30 psi and to redo the whole car and it will be enough

Gold4.6

Reaction score
This may be stupid. But will a motor daily driven at 30psi of boost hold up for very long?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The windstar has generally become accepted as the best intake for the 3.8/4.2 I mostly put it on because it looks good though. More of a pain than anything to me lol

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cool. Orange must be smarter than me since his built, blown V6 barely makes half the power this guy is asking about. No problem doubling that.
My car is far from built. I never said I was making a ton of power. Its 300hp... I never said 600hp is easy.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
This may be stupid. But will a motor daily driven at 30psi of boost hold up for very long?

Its all relative but 30 psi is way more boost than you can safely run on most larger engines on pump gas for the most part...maybe a low compression 2.0 4 banger.

Most likely would detonate and self destruct very quickly if you tried that on a 3.8.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
why do you think that. forged low compression? nobody has had issues with these blocks. Just throwing it out there :)

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
why do you think that. forged low compression? nobody has had issues with these blocks. Just throwing it out there :)

This.
138138762.jpg

1ccfffb5.jpg

piston2.jpg

Pistoncarnage002.jpg

Because you can only run so much boost before running into detonation issues on pump gas...its the way it is, its not my thoughts, its reality.

You can have a forged bottom end and the strongest block in the world and still destroy it internally with detonation.

Its the pistons that you've gotta worry about.

Theres a reason every boosted car doesnt run 50 psi. lol

95opal

Reaction score
Prepare to rebuild your entire car top to bottom to handle 600 hp reliably.

Motor, trans, rear, complete fuel system, should do some sort of frame stiffening and suspension work all around and more.

Justin has said all there needs to be said here.

Burninrock24

Reaction score
My buddy was running 24lbs on his WRX with E85 for lower temps and cooked his motor really good. ONE rod bolt gave out and kaboom. Pretty much the whole motor was cooked. And the WRXs have great blocks too.

The issue I'm seeing here just like everyone else is cost. A "big" turbo is going to run 5-6 grand at least. Safely chalk up another $8-9K to reinforce everything else and now you're looking at 14K just to get there. And thats on the low side I feel.

I'm all for uniqueness, but I'd rather spend 8K, get a Termi motor with a T56 and harness, grab the rear-end from a GT, and call it a day. Port the piss out of everything, full bolt ons. And you'd have money left over for a Kenne Bell and make more than you wanted originally.

OP
OP
ChaosKnuxxx

ChaosKnuxxx

Reaction score
Ok, I appreciate the input from both sides, however I'm well aware of everything you guys are saying. It's not the first time ie heard that and to answer everyone's question, the reason behind me choosing a windstar intake should be obvious, the windstar intake is lighter than stock. The car with boost can see 300 pretty easy, building all out N/A can go to about 375 so me not seeing that is hot air. Like the other said I'm no fool, I'm shooting for 600 because why not? Yes a termi would be the easiest option but ill spend just as much getting one and modding it than sticking with what I have.

Your opinions would be taken better if you guys practiced tact.

OP
OP
ChaosKnuxxx

ChaosKnuxxx

Reaction score
I'm all for uniqueness, but I'd rather spend 8K, get a Termi motor with a T56 and harness, grab the rear-end from a GT, and call it a day. Port the piss out of everything, full bolt ons. And you'd have money left over for a Kenne Bell and make more than you wanted originally.

I did take that into consideration but for me to do that it would cost me more than for just the motor. I'd need the cluster, harness, trans, k-member, all the little stuff and that puts me at about 10k to get everything. By then I could buy a long rod 3.8 from SSM and have 2k for buying a turbo or just for supporting mods. So they'll both cost about the same is what I've concluded.

[EDIT] as far as your buddy 24 psi is insane. I wouldn't even want to run 20psi which is one of the multitude of reasons why I think ill probably stop before 600hp or at least wait until I have a second car. I want to have a second car before I boost it.

OP
OP
ChaosKnuxxx

ChaosKnuxxx

Reaction score
Justin does have a very very good point though. Something I'm still considering, not sure if I want to take the risk involved with boosting yet. That would be the only thing stopping me.

gate keeper

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score

Yes. ( I'm not saying it's the SAME THING) but a buddy of mine had a Gt500 that he drove across the country ( 1200 horsepower) On kill mode it spiked once at around 39 PSI, but he had it turned up almost every day in the 20s

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes you can have an all out tune and a more streetable tune with boost. Where have you seen a 3.8 get 375 horse n.a though??? Remember, I'm not knocking it, I want to see it.

I built my motor pretty far and put down about 250. I don't see how a little bit higher compression and maybe a slight timing advance is going to net another 125 whp.

OP
OP
ChaosKnuxxx

ChaosKnuxxx

Reaction score
Yes you can have an all out tune and a more streetable tune with boost. Where have you seen a 3.8 get 375 horse n.a though??? Remember, I'm not knocking it, I want to see it.

I built my motor pretty far and put down about 250. I don't see how a little bit higher compression and maybe a slight timing advance is going to net another 125 whp.
This is just something I saw on the SSM website. Now take it how you want it but they're claiming the engines can get 375-390 N/A. I'm betting on the lower end of that but they're saying they have dyno proof for their claim

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yes. ( I'm not saying it's the SAME THING) but a buddy of mine had a Gt500 that he drove across the country ( 1200 horsepower) On kill mode it spiked once at around 39 PSI, but he had it turned up almost every day in the 20s

On pump gas with no meth? Stock motor?

Blower or Turbo?

gate keeper

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
E85 ( which is pump gas in a lot of places in America)

It was a compound boost car. I know when he drove from Florida to California and back in it, he had it on low boost and it was around 800 horsepower haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online