600hp supporting mods

OP
OP
ChaosKnuxxx

ChaosKnuxxx

Reaction score
ok, you guys win. I'll hold off on getting the engine for now. But there HAS to be another way to get an engine similar to the one SSM has without paying out the ASS for it... I don't mind putting in work for it, but my options are limited as far as finding tools, help, garages, ect... Hmmmmm....

[EDIT] I have about 3.5k to work with right now. Though saving up will be a bit tough.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
check out sixstanger00's thread. he found the rods you need for their long rod kit on summit, then you buy a crank from SSM made by scat, then you get pistons ordered after you have the machine work done. motors from the junk yard would be cheap. then you just order a cam, either from ssm or just get an off the shelf comp cam.

the expensive part is heads, I paid 1000 for heads. but you could get the ones off the motor you bought (in this example) ported at a machine shop. as well as both intakes.

boom, good for about 220 horse. but add boost and you can stack some power out of it.

OP
OP
ChaosKnuxxx

ChaosKnuxxx

Reaction score
Hmmm I've been lurking around and I may try the eaton m90. Though I'm looking at a bit of work either way. I think it'll be interesting to try out. Ill look into seeing how it may fit

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
m90 won't work, that's going backwards to a singleport setup.

essentially, you have to downgrade to upgrade.

it would be better to get an m112 plate and throw an m112 on.

Luis at Ortiz performance is working on an intercooled m112 setup for them, that's what I'm waiting on. only down side is you end up needing a different hood.

shorty

Reaction score
All this talk of poopoo. has anything been started yet?

OP
OP
ChaosKnuxxx

ChaosKnuxxx

Reaction score
Lol hey man you need to know what you're gonna do before you do it. All my projects went smoothly because of the time I took to plan. The more you know the better you can prepare.

Hmm yeah I noticed. The single port swap would make the whole process a bit difficult. But at the same time I feel like I still need better internals before throwing a M112 on the engine. Or do you think it would be ok?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
m90 won't work, that's going backwards to a singleport setup.

essentially, you have to downgrade to upgrade.

it would be better to get an m112 plate and throw an m112 on.

Luis at Ortiz performance is working on an intercooled m112 setup for them, that's what I'm waiting on. only down side is you end up needing a different hood.

Interesting. You'd be luck to fit an intercooled one under a hood period. You're lucky enough if you can fit a non-intercooled m112 under a hood unless its a huge cowl. The biggest problem is the snout. The bump and cowl on the cobra R hood was just barely enough for me. I could lower the engine a tiny bit more but my exhaust already scrapes everything.

Lol hey man you need to know what you're gonna do before you do it. All my projects went smoothly because of the time I took to plan. The more you know the better you can prepare.

Hmm yeah I noticed. The single port swap would make the whole process a bit difficult. But at the same time I feel like I still need better internals before throwing a M112 on the engine. Or do you think it would be ok?

You'll be fine for the m112. I'd advice not to do more than 300ish to the wheels or over 10lbs. I don't have forged pistons or rods and 300 is my aim at the wheels. Not going to go much over without building the bottom end and next the tranny.

My advice to you is go find a 4.2 out of the f-150. You should be able to get on pretty cheap and its a good starting spot. I was pushing 200 out of mine at the wheels.

OP
OP
ChaosKnuxxx

ChaosKnuxxx

Reaction score
Ok, let's say I pick one up, how easy would it be to drop in? And how about getting ported heads, cams, intake, ect for it? Like ease of finding and price? Sorry about all the questions

[EDIT] Did some looking up and apparently all I'll need to do is change my upper intake because the F150 won't fit under the hood, is that right? And I also saw that the 4.2 F150 is pretty much a bored 3.8? So I can bore that to a 4.3? and use the SSM packs on the engine as well like the Stage 3 kit and all that?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It is fairly easy, there is some stuff that has to be played around with.

Yes the 4.2 is basically a 3.8. Very similar. The upper intake I think I used the mustang one.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The blocks are exactly the same. The difference is in the crank and rods more than anything. You can use the f-150 lower, but I would shoot for a mustang lower, the coolant openings are in the back so it makes it a lot cleaner. I have the f-150 lower on mine and don't love it.

Machine shops can port the intakes, or you can pay super six to do it.

The heads are the same on the f-150s. The major change is the underside. I had to have my main caps milled down because they wouldn't clear the oil pan, since I had an older style 4.2. The newer ones have shorter main caps.

If its manual, you need an 01+ flywheel from the mustang. I've got a list floating around somewhere

OP
OP
ChaosKnuxxx

ChaosKnuxxx

Reaction score
Ok, so when I get the block, keep the mustang upper & lower. And ill try to get the stage 3 power pack from SSM to put on at the same time too.

I've been looking but I can't quite find out what year/type 4.2 I should get. I see some from the truck and a van?? I'm guessing I should get an 01+ though?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
99+ f-150 4.2 I think you can do a 97+ one but you will have to mill the caps like I did. You need an 01+ mustang oil pan as well. The powerpacks come with upper and lower intakes don't they?

OP
OP
ChaosKnuxxx

ChaosKnuxxx

Reaction score
Yup. They come with ported upper & lower intake, cam, and ported heads.

Im assuming the oil pan from the 4.2 is too big to fit?

OP
OP
ChaosKnuxxx

ChaosKnuxxx

Reaction score
I can imagine the sound of a mustang flying down the road with the oil pan scraping... Not sure if I'd be more amused or horrified lol

MikuTheDriftstang

Reaction score
This.
138138762.jpg

1ccfffb5.jpg

piston2.jpg

Pistoncarnage002.jpg

Because you can only run so much boost before running into detonation issues on pump gas...its the way it is, its not my thoughts, its reality.

You can have a forged bottom end and the strongest block in the world and still destroy it internally with detonation.

Its the pistons that you've gotta worry about.

Theres a reason every boosted car doesnt run 50 psi. lol

What if he ran e85 instead of premium? I'm not an expert on boost as I haven't had a turbo car or built my 3.8 turbo yet, but e85 I've heard and read you can run at 30 psi all day long. Is that not true? I'm only aiming for about 350hp at the wheels so in my build I'm doing a forged destroking kit to bring it to a 3.4l to get higher revs and doing a single t70 turbo ran at about 20psi. At least that's my plan.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Why are you de-stroking??

And e-85 is just higher octane. Safety is all in the tuning. With higher octane you can advance timing further or run more boost or compression, but whether or not it's safe all depends on the tune.

And 30psi is vague without the specifics. Is it a blower, or turbo? Are the h/c/I done? What size turbo? etc. etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online