96-98 Turbo kits

voidfinger

Reaction score
well i'm out, this thead should be locked before we have more people with new ideas that other people don't agree with.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
J.R. said:
justinschmidt1 said:
turbos are more efficient than a supercharger

the amount of power it takes to spin the supercharger increases with more boost...but its about 50hp at 9 psi and 75 at 12 psi.

turbos are all around better ..if its setup to make 8 psi it will be a 8 psi at like 3-3500 all the way to redline.

blowers will gradually increase.

350 hp vortech car vs 350 hp turbo car and the turbo car would walk the vortech car all day.

That makes no sense, and it's untrue. A 350 hp turbo car will make that number with less boost, but having a turbo doesn't magically make the car faster with the same number's.

theres more power under the curve.

Thats my point..a turbo will make 8 psi from whenever it spools at like 3k to redline wheras a 8psi blower car will make 8 psi at redline which means its at like 2-3 psi at 3k then 4-6 at 4k and gradually increases.

What I said is 100% true.

My car with 350 whp with a turbo will be faster than my car with 350 whp from a blower.

Besides the fact that turbo cars make a butt load more torque.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Be skeptically is all I'm saying, think critically, do your own INDEPENDENT research and make a decision. Calling the company is not independent, of course they'll say it's great. Call me and ask about a trans, you think I'm gonna tell you it's junk and I use inferior part's? no, I'll tell you I give you a lifetime warranty and it's awesome.

I applaud them for giving Justin free labor, it's how you get yourself out there and get yourself known. Know what you are getting though. Mild steel piping, an off-brand headunit, etc... Don't just look at the price and decide it must be awesome because it's cheap

Maybe they will be awesome, maybe they will still be around in a few year's, making people happy and making big power. Probably not judging from every turbo company before them though.

Hell, look in the Rotrex threads, you'll see I asked Tad some very pointed questions about the head unit in his kit. He answered them, gave me the info I needed, and I looked independently for what I could find too. he didn't get defensive or butt hurt, just answered.

4k may be cheap for a turbo kit, but it's the price of a built motor, another car, or 3 months house payment for most people.

As for locking the thread, i haven't personally attacked anyone here, simple brought up counterpoint's for all the cheerleader's to consider.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%...thats why im most likely not gonna buy it unless they offer me something I cant refuse...

the kits probably more like 4500 full and then a tune.

it looks like a good kit to me....but then again...thats a lot of money.

voidfinger

Reaction score
J.R. said:
Be skeptically is all I'm saying, think critically, do your own INDEPENDENT research and make a decision. Calling the company is not independent, of course they'll say it's great. Call me and ask about a trans, you think I'm gonna tell you it's junk and I use inferior part's? no, I'll tell you I give you a lifetime warranty and it's awesome.

I applaud them for giving Justin free labor, it's how you get yourself out there and get yourself known. Know what you are getting though. Mild steel piping, an off-brand headunit, etc... Don't just look at the price and decide it must be awesome because it's cheap

Maybe they will be awesome, maybe they will still be around in a few year's, making people happy and making big power. Probably not judging from every turbo company before them though.

Hell, look in the Rotrex threads, you'll see I asked Tad some very pointed questions about the head unit in his kit. He answered them, gave me the info I needed, and I looked independently for what I could find too. he didn't get defensive or butt hurt, just answered.

4k may be cheap for a turbo kit, but it's the price of a built motor, another car, or 3 months house payment for most people.

As for locking the thread, i haven't personally attacked anyone here, simple brought up counterpoint's for all the cheerleader's to consider.

Ok a couple things. Im not trying to be an ass or anything about saying what i said, it just seems like everyone is "wrong" but you. I'm disputing you one bit though about being skeptical at all. B/c what you said about the others is true 100% and what not. Now, borg warner or whatever not being a good trans? I don't see why they were that bad? I think they held the massive 215/225 hp these engines made quite well. Also, didn't tremek or whatever also make some t-45's... that much i know is true... mainly b/c i got one from "thunder_dave" with tremek or whatever stamped on the side. So I don't think they were that bad... they just weren't made for massive poweradders and whatnot... thats where tremek's name stepped in. So i'm not exspecting wonders out of the turbo but shit... its better than a t3/t4 out of a turbocoupe... at least thats what i think they run. One other thing. I'm not a turbo expert by any means but i'm always up to learn a little more about things. What is the deal with mild steel piping? would that made a big difference? Just wondering b/c the basic "kit" said that the piping is ceramic coated or something right? Just wondering b/c i'm fuzzy on this part. If i was to get anything for a "kit" it would probably be the piping b/c i just don't want to have my car put up that long to make the piping.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
T45's fail in stock car's, they were supposed to be revised T5's, but they failed, and that's why they basically had to cut their OE business off and sell it to Tremec. Late T45's and replacements are tremec branded, but Tremec designed the 3650 to actaully last decently.

As for the piping, i personally would use mild steel piping, but it's just a fancy name for regular old exhuast pipe. This is why i say make your own lol. Ceramic coating is a nice touch though, keeps the heat in and the velocity up, a big plus on a turbo kit.

I never said this kit was junk, i said beware of all the other companies that came and went. and the headunit is subpar, that's not my opinion, it's fact. Garrett unit's are used on semi's for 500k+, can't fight the durability of them. You have to remember, turbos don't have a direct correlation between engine rpm and turbine rpm. A turbo can easily spin in excess of 100,000 rpm, at only 6000 engine RPM. If you want something that will last, trouble free, no worries, I would substitute the headunit for a quality one.

And like I said, i would be extremely leary of sending them money and waiting for them to build your kit. This is how everyone at those other companies got screwed.

Research Airwerks turbo's, on your own, go to the site Jfor441 linked too, a ton of info on that site about headunits, etc.

Again, i'm not saying I'm like Moses handing down commandments here, I'm saying asking them personally and calling it research is silly. Look into it all for yourself. 4k is a lot of damn money.

voidfinger

Reaction score
o yea true true. If it was me... i would see if i could just buy the piping and headers from them... thats all i would want... i would do like J.R. said and sub. a different head unit in there and maybe use their cooler and blow off valves and such. no big deal.

aaron427

Reaction score
J.R. said:
aaron427 said:
Ha ha borg warner turbo a no name?? What rock have you been hiding under? thats why a bunch of guys are selling off their turbonetics for a borg warner, and making more power. Anyways I have seen this car in person, and went for a ride in it. Very nice kit, and pulls pretty dang nice for a stocker car. They are actually selling kits they have sitting on the shelf not ones that they will build when they get your money. For what your getting well worth the money! Im going to have them build me one for my 95 blower car. :banana:

Nope, Borg warner isn't a no name, it's a junk name. I bet they lost they OE transmission business to and AFTERMARKET company because they put out such quality pieces, like the T5 and T45. Their name is mud basically, and no OE would touch them. Is it a Garrett unit? no, A Precision unit? Nope, Borg Warner, what a confidence inspiring name that is.

However, since you so obviously have no affiliation with the company whatsoever, and nothing to gain by promoting it, I'm sure you are completely unbiased.

Turbonetics ain't exactly at the top of my quality list either, but I haven't seen ANYONE sell off their Turbonetics unit to get one of these POS head unit's that doesn't even belong on a tractor. If anyone is, and making more power, it's because they went up in size, and down in price.

As for them installing it for you, that's a good deal, let them do it. That way you don't have to worry about any fitment issues it may or may not have. If I was you guy's though (the few who will actually pony up, sack up and do it), I would let someone else be the guinea pig. When some random dude in BFE Minnesota get's one, installs it in his garage, with no modifications, and runs it for about 5k without the couplers blowing off, or the headunit taking a poo, then go for it.

Like I said, about four times now, every year some budget turbo company pops up, get's a bunch of press and hype, and then dissappears just as rapidly. how many of you have even heard of the companies I named? they were big names in their day, until the stories started popping up, and the waiting list got longer and longer, until they closed their doors.

If you want a budget turbo kit, build it yourself.
Well Im not going to get in a pissing match with you over borg warner turbos, or any other turbo company for that matter. I don't really have a preference. So there is my unbiased opinion. Seems like your talking a lot about their turbos and really have no first hand knowledge with them. They have been used on diesel trucks for a very long time. They have been in the import world for some time now making big numbers. Also visit a few of the other mustang sites and see the different people changing over to them. corral,theturboforums, etc... If you truly had a clue what you were talking about then you would know these things. Like I said I don't have a preference as far as brands go I just call them like I see them. Unless we are talking about the ss auto chrome kits.(ha ha) Can't remember the name of the crappy turbos they use. I too have seen many come and go. They all had the same things in common. They sold stuff they didn't have, and couldn't keep up with the demand. I have been into the mustang/turbo scene for well over 15 years now. Heck my brother was one of those people who spent months, and months trying to get the rest of his parts from one. So I know what your talking about.
You have to think most of the general population that are into mustangs couldn't fab a kit up from scratch. They use them as dd's, they don't have the space, or the knowledge, etc... I wasn't trying to start a battle with you, but trying to give clarification to the people who really don't know anything about turbos, or the companies.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Just seems REAL suspicious that your first post on the forum is in response casting doubt on the kit manufacturer wouldn't you say?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea, im sure than the spyder turbo systems team searches for online forums mentioning thier kit to change peoples opinions.

Borg warner is a quality turno and this spyder kit looks legit...they even offered to install the thing for me.

if I had the money I would do it.

aaron427

Reaction score
jfor441 said:
Just seems REAL suspicious that your first post on the forum is in response casting doubt on the kit manufacturer wouldn't you say?
No not really. I just found the site, and was reading thru the different threads. I didn't say anything about the kit just about the turbo. Go back and read. Then I said that I had seen the car. I know the guys at one of our local speed shops, and that is how I found them.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
yea, im sure than the spyder turbo systems team searches for online forums mentioning thier kit to change peoples opinions.

Borg warner is a quality turno and this spyder kit looks legit...they even offered to install the thing for me.

if I had the money I would do it.

Lol

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
the full kit is 6k haha

Im just gonna go with the blower for now.....hopefully by the time the rods go on me I will have the money for a new shortblock.

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea i just got the email back... :rollinglaugh: 6k for the complete kit... hard to think that pumps, injects, and small shit could= up to 2grand... o well.

I'm just gonna see what he wants for the tubing.

spyderturbo

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
yea i just got the email back... :rollinglaugh: 6k for the complete kit... hard to think that pumps, injects, and small shit could= up to 2grand... o well.

This is just to straighten out any miss information.
Ill add it for you!

Base kit= 3995.
K-member= 380.
Locking haeder bolts= 40.
Drop rack mounts= 22.
A/C line= 100.
42 lb inj= 300.
Fuel pump= 100.
Jet hot coating 750.
Mass air meter= 250.
Total= 5937.00
does that help?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Actually those prices add up and are fair.

Can people substitute the head unit if they wish?

Is the cold side plumbing beaded on the ends?

Do you offer the hot side alone?

Do you offer the hot side in stainless?

Do you offer a canned tune with the full kit?

Was your shop car completely stock? we would all love more details on the NPI stang. And BTW, welcome and thanks for dropping in! :welcome:

spyderturbo

Reaction score
J.R. said:
Actually those prices add up and are fair.

Can people substitute the head unit if they wish?

Is the cold side plumbing beaded on the ends?

Do you offer the hot side alone?

Do you offer the hot side in stainless?

Do you offer a canned tune with the full kit?

Was your shop car completely stock? we would all love more details on the NPI stang. And BTW, welcome and thanks for dropping in! :welcome:

If i get in some trouble for spaming this thread you guys have to stick up for me .All I am trying to do is correctly inform you about this product and it's pricing.

We have options for upgraded head units.
Our cold side has a welded ring (no possibility for coupler blow off)
We do offer hot side and headers (made to order)
We dont use stainless for our street applications (due to d/d heat cycles)
No tune with the kit ( contact Jon ) for reason behind this issue
Shop car was stock other than mufflers and a k&n (was previously used as our auto-x car it was rode hard and put up wet!)
We will be glad to answer any questions.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Your not spamming man. Someone found ya'lls site and posted alink to it. Concerns were raised about it and you are addressing those concerns!!

voidfinger

Reaction score
spyderturbo said:
voidfinger said:

This is just to straighten out any miss information.
Ill add it for you!

Base kit= 3995.
K-member= 380.
Locking haeder bolts= 40.
Drop rack mounts= 22.
A/C line= 100.
42 lb inj= 300.
Fuel pump= 100.
Jet hot coating 750.
Mass air meter= 250.
Total= 5937.00
does that help?

from the way yall's sight reads it seems to indicate that the k member and the coating are included in the 4k kit... let me see... what was the working "all 96-98 kits come with k member... qa1 k member also supported..." and i think the coating was mentioned too.

So what would you want for just the tubing and headers then?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mustangblkbeerd

Members online