96 cobra

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
And I'm assuming that's something that can leave me stranded if I drive it when it goes completely?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I did a little research and from what I read it might be the input shaft bearing because it only makes the noise in neutral when the clutch is released. If anybody can confirm that or add to it I'd appreciate it. I'm just wondering if I should look into a transmission

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
best then to take it to a shop and get it properly diagnosed prior to doing anything. either way, the tranny has to come out so probably a shop to do the work is best for you and also you may want to change the tob and even the clutch while it is out. at least check it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When your foot is off the pedal and in neutral there is no pressure on the throwout which is when it will make noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Oh ok, hopefully it's not too major. Either way I'm gonna have to take it to a shop, that's out of my skill range. In ur guys opinion with a cobra showing 209,000 miles and no idea if the trans is original would u look into a lower mileage trans or just rebuild it?

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
just to add to the question.....but first, depends on what the shop would cost to rebuild it, assuming it needs to be rebuilt. then you can look at prices for another t-45, a t-5 would also work, but either of those are weaker than either a used 3550 or 3650. depending on the price of a used unit in low miles, then you can make a decision. if I am not mistaken, the 3550 and 3650 usually have 11" clutches with them and yours (unless already upgraded you can use an 11" clutch with the trans you have...that is what I did in mine, you just have to have an 11" flywheel and clutch to do it), is a 10.5". things you will have to check.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I get this checked out... I think I may have been driving with this problem since I've had the car, I just didn't notice it until I put the new poly Trans mount in and now I'm only feeling that vibration. Makes sense in my mind anyway LOL

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I would have liked to put a 6-speed T56 in but from what I read there's a few modifications that have to be done=$

Lanter

Reaction score
I would have liked to put a 6-speed T56 in but from what I read there's a few modifications that have to be done=$

What modifications? I put a t56 magnum in my 98 that wouldn't have required any modifications aside from the 26 spline clutch and I had to modify my crossmember because when my subframe connectors were welded in they welded them to the factor trans cross member mounts. The t56 required you to move the mount forward so you can use the stock crossmember in the cobras. I am almost certain 96-98 cobras gave a bolt in crossmember mount where gts have a welded in crossmember mount. This is due to the extra catalytic converters on the cobras to pass emissions.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
Maybe it wasn't a lot of modifications but I'm on a bit of a budget and since I can't do the swap myself that's more $... How do u like the T56?

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
My slow speed turn transmission wobble is still there ...

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
That's the only time I notice it, it's almost as if something internally is wobbling. If I make a slow turn over a bump or something and my car shifts weight a little bit is when I feel it

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
where do you feel it..in the seat, steering wheel or do you have your hand on the shifter and only feel it there.

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I feel it in the shifter and a little bit under my foot, it's not loud and it seems to only happen when I press the clutch in

OP
OP
collinselectric5
Reaction score
I changed the rear diff fluid (don't know if or when it's ever been changed) to some royal purple. Is it possible for it to be faster? Cuz holy sh@$! It is definitely faster than before and it feels like it's spinning more freely

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
vibration could be coming from the input shaft like you said.

as to car feeling faster, I guess if the fluid was low and really old, could have more drag. who knows.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online