96blak54 Reanimated

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
How is the engine coming along?
Its at a stand still. I torqued the heads down only to find I didnt like the way it felt. The headbolts, being felpro factory replacements, were very spongee feeling and the effort in the final rotation was a bit to easy! Off with the heads! Screw it, ....let it sit! Christmas was creeping up keeping my wallet stretched thin. I knew parts were on hold untill afterwards. Well....now its afterwards! Ill shoot over to the Ford dealership here soon for new headbolts and score a set of felpro headgaskets at the parts house. I would prefer ARP headstuds, but not gonna happen at $400set. Also at $150per head cometic headgaskets are a high desire too. I want the car running! Ive put off a year after purchasing the pistons, hoping for extra cash yo buy the desired parts, but it never worked out.....to many dang bills. Priorities!!!

As you see I have been cleaning up the interior. The floor mats looked great for 120k miles, but the "mustang" red letter stitching has faded away. So I wondered what a silver paint marker would do for them.

9f880af9224f38c535e3d9cc2e831e53.jpg

Up close youll notice the over paint on the some carpet strands. Its not noticeable when installed.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
fbd1f4e6d79b579064145d641ee8cc3e.jpg

Having some more R&D fun! Stretching the limits with valve size. What you see here is a stock bore and a junk head fitted with a 1.900" intake valve. Will it work? Nope.....not yet,...but will!

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Having some more R&D fun! Stretching the limits with valve size. What you see here is a stock bore and a junk head fitted with a 1.900" intake valve. Will it work? Nope.....not yet,...but will!

Think positive x)

Wichers123

Reaction score
Hey I pulled my 5.4 pi heads and man I was excited to find the same bigger port like the npi that you have noted. They are huge straight with only one hump right past injector. I cut the port to gasket and blended the spacer for a smooth flow. I can get you good pictures money. Yesterday was a long day in pulling motor and tearing down.

67b8ffbdee7c2de463e9bbc6e3251089_zpsrbcjm4ay.jpg

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Actually, the pi heads port is much bigger than a npi port. Porting out a npi head equals the same port size as a pi head. More flow can be had from a pi head than npi.

Now this is the interesting part....its how the flow enters the chamber when the valve is fully open. This is what sets the 2 apart.

Out of the box, the pi heads are next to impossible to beat. Only a handfull of folks have figured out the 2v modular abilities for octane tolerance.

An engine with a 6.6+ rod, tiny bore, over 4" stroke all equates to being able to handle some of the worst grade gasoline in desert heat pulling the heaviest payloads up mountains while still asking for more challenge.

On the flip side of this is a guy installing the same engine into a 2000# lighter car with next to nothing drivetrain stress because of lower gearing, 5spd, rotating rubberband tires, light wheels ......
Its called "what is really left on the table now?" ........octain tolerance.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Fantastic! That's really all I have to say. This thread is awesome, I'm always looking forward to updates.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
69fb575c61d8498c00e3fae266cab937.jpg

Blocking out a few dings while I save monies for parts. My stupidness caught a speeding ticket. Roughly $200! Grrrrr

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Take it to court, ask them to withhold adjudication so you don't get points at least.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Keep up the good work, I am feeding off your energy to keep working on my mess. You are a leader and breath of fresh air in a world of bench racers. I look at what I got done this week and how hard it was for me and how much more to go and think of you and all your help and ideas gives me motivation.

Now for my personal opinion, and free advice is worth the price it costs.

1. ARP studs cost too much and on my Terminator motor the heads would still lift at WOT and leak antifreeze alittle. I have found no good replacements and at over 20.00 each I am ready to weld 2 short bolts together and make you a set but... I would drill and retap to 7/16 or 12 or 13mm and use threaded rod cut to length from McMaster-Carr. Many types to choose from, 6 feet would cost 40.00. The amount of torque on the heads is not that much, 85 pounds is the highest I have ever seen used, I do not think 160,000 PSI steel is necessary, it is used because the shaft is so thin. What is the strength of the stock bolts? The middle of the shaft is 3/8 or less. The larger diameter will be able to use lower tensile strength steel and still have higher clamping force.

2. I might send you my heads and pistons to work on , the best people around here look at me like I am from the moon when I talk about what I want to do. Failure does not bother me. Your time has value, I can help.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yes, ARP stinks! Way to expensive! I too have looked over the industrial catalogs for a cheaper solution with the thought of "how could they be so much different". Around that period I was messing with a buddies build retorquing down the stock rod bolts. Curiosity of the strength these stock bolts have and if they would break retorquing pondered on me, so I took an old stock 5.4l rod, clamped it to a table, and began to destroy the bolts by over tightening. I was using a torque wrench to monitor what lbs it took to break the bolt. I failed to destroy those bolts! I torqued the bolts to spec first and proceeded to destroy by tuning them untill they broke. After 20turns each,...I gave! Each turn required 50ftlb of the wrench to restarted rotation and only a few turns backwards to unbolt. I permanently stretched the bolts .150" and never broke! This little trial schooled me in a way I didnt know jack about what I thought I knew.

Thank you for all the encouragement! Send them pistons on over. Ill get them reliefed for a big valve. Im getting closer to being able to machine heads. Still making up the head fixture. The design is universal as long the head bolts on, but its tweeked for madular heads...lol.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was just looking into making my own stud kit as well after pricing out ARP stuff

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Researched available industrial studs from gibraltar and jensen. They offer double end 12mm x 1.75 at 7.5"ish length max. Will need at least 9.5" length.

Here is what im doing today. Rolled out for a bath

9e21ecb74f31282686f8be357821ff35.jpg

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im pissed

The supposedly high performance felpro headgaskets I ordered were not high performance info capatible. Package states a product # and info of desire, product inside is nothing close. And this is business as usual for these guys!!! Great products, bad info!

WHY Felpro...WHY?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online