97whitevert build thread UPDATED 9-19-12

ninety7_four6

Reaction score
Re: 97whitevert build thread

for the injectors you can just get an adapter to make your harness work with the ev6 injectors.. its cheaper.
under the intake on the 4v are knock sensors you dont need them.
and for the other coolant sensor i had an extra coolant crossover pipe so i just cut the section of pipe that has the sensor bung in it and ran it in line with the J shaped hose going from the coolant crossover to the t-stat housing

ninety7_four6

Reaction score

hey heres a pic of that coolant sensor you were asking about its hard to see but you can kinda see the piece of pipe fit in to the hose then i just extended the wire all the way down to it

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

the first motor you've ever pulled is a modular, that's jumping righ in!
Nice work man, that's sweet that you're doing it yourself.

I like the xmas light under your car. makes it festive!

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

Dalamar said:
the first motor you've ever pulled is a modular, that's jumping righ in!
Nice work man, that's sweet that you're doing it yourself.

I like the xmas light under your car. makes it festive!
Jumping right in is right! I'll be taking pics of all the little things I had to do as I put it back together, then i'll just list them in reverse to give some of you guys an idea of what all has to be done.

A local shop quoted me $1450 to swap it, plus all the fluids and anything else they might need, so I thought, "For $1450, I can take a little longer, learn a little, and do it myself."

As for the xmas lights, it was dark under there and i couldn't hold a light at the time, so they got the job done :)

US Soldier(stang 98)

Reaction score

Sweet build man are you going to put any boost to your 4V?

Make suer you get lots of pics and keep the up dates come'n

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

i'd like to, but it won't be any time soon. Its been down for the past couple months, Im just looking forward to driving it. Maybe this time next year i''ll be looking for a turbo :headbang:

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

Alright guys, sorry I haven't kept this updated like I said I would. Been through alot lately with a death in the family and my work schedule being completely changed, its been hectic on me. I also lost my camera for about 2 weeks, so there's alot of pics missing. Here are some I took after I found it.

Cobra engine and trans going in
Marvinscamera019.jpg

I had to modify the gt trans crossmember for the 3650 to bolt up, but it wasn't a big deal. Getting the engine with longtubes on to sit down on the motor mounts was by far the hardest part of the whole swap.

Here it is sitting in the car
Marvinscamera020.jpg

Marvinscamera021.jpg

Here is where I lost my camera, so I don't have pics of the little things like steering shaft installation with the longtubes, driveshaft install, little things like that.
Here's a shot of her assembled friday, on her way to my tuner to wind it up. Hope to have it back next week. If all goes well, i'll be taking it to Deals Gap the 23-26th of this month for a little mountain riding fun.
Marvinscamera022.jpg

If anyone has any questions about the swap, feel free to ask.

Win

Legend
Reaction score

I like the look of those GT wheels on your car along with the bumper looks good man see if you can ge ta vid of the dyno pull.

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

I'd like to be there for the dyno pull, I'll get the numbers either way. Yeah those wheels dont look bad at all, i'll be going with the old saleens once I pay the bill for the tune and whatnot.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

nice man!!

question, ok: what were the hard parts of the swap?

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

the hardest parts of the swap: I had to remove the driverside longtube header to get the engine in the car, I couldn't get both of the longtubes to clear the stock k-member when trying to maneuver the engine and tranny into the car. So then I had to reinstall the driver side longtube with the engine in the car. Talk about fun. But probably the single hardest part was getting the engine to sit down on the motor mounts. I had to remove the passenger side from the block and install it on the kmember first. I also had to remove the EGR valve tube to get it to sit down, I found that it was hitting the firewall and holding the engine forward.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score

Sorry for your loss in the family! :'(

However congrats on the complete swap! Looks like you did an awesome job!

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

Thanks, its been a long time coming, I haven't driven this car since February.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Sweet man! Don't know how I missed this. Can't wait for the numbers

97GT4.6

Reaction score

looks like an awesome build.. it will be good to see the numbers..

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

Well the car has been at the tuner's for the last month with issues starting. First issue was the car would not start with the key. With the key turned over, everything would come on, the fuel pump would cycle and all the gauges worked. But try to start it, and nothing. But it would crank when jumped off the starter. Later found it was a bad ground. The next issue was that it would crank with the key, but was getting no fire to the coil packs. A new crankshaft position sensor, and its alive. If everything else goes well, he'll have it on the dyno and back to me by the end of the week. got my fingers crossed

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

Well its been a long time coming but I finally have my baby back! I've had it back since last friday and it a whole different car. Final dyno number were 300rwhp, 296tq. Im looking for some new mufflers right now, longtubes and an x pipe make flowmaster 40's sound like crap. Thinking about some lm2's or a set of Dynomax bullets. We'll see what i can find. Here's how it turned out:
Marvinscamera043.jpg

Marvinscamera041.jpg

Marvinscamera035.jpg

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

Installed some 96-98 cobra valve covers that I had powder coated black. I don't like how they look now though, I'll probably be changing them later this year.
Marvinscamera039-1.jpg

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

Also got the saleens this summer, I forgot to up date this thing. ha.
Marvinscamera048.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online