Advice on my combo please.

MadStang

Reaction score
Have you ever had anything FI? They are fucken fun N/a is gay lol

personally the rewards of building a fast N/A car outweighs building a boosted car. Anybody can slap a supercharger or turbo kit on a car, it takes real skill to blueprint a motor out N/A that makes incredible power. But that's just my opinion, I'm building an all out N/A motor right now but eventually I would love to build a boost motor, because boost IS fun.

boosted93

Reaction score
personally the rewards of building a fast N/A car outweighs building a boosted car. Anybody can slap a supercharger or turbo kit on a car, it takes real skill to blueprint a motor out N/A that makes incredible power. But that's just my opinion, I'm building an all out N/A motor right now but eventually I would love to build a boost motor, because boost IS fun.
Older guys have been building fast N/a motors for years so i dont think it takes much more skills then "slapping" on a turbo kit, working out all the bugs, tuning it, and making it last.. but yes boost is way fun! Ive actually never had a supercharger, i know they suck on 4cylinders but i wouldnt mind having one on my mustang in the future (but i would much rather have a turbo lol)

MadStang

Reaction score
Older guys have been building fast N/a motors for years so i dont think it takes much more skills then "slapping" on a turbo kit, working out all the bugs, tuning it, and making it last.. but yes boost is way fun! Ive actually never had a supercharger, i know they suck on 4cylinders but i wouldnt mind having one on my mustang in the future (but i would much rather have a turbo lol)

true, but how many 350+rwhp N/A 2v's do you hear about? They are few and far between. As Al Papitto once said "You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency."

OP
OP
97Bullitt

97Bullitt

Reaction score
Have you ever had anything FI? They are fucken fun N/a is gay lol

Vortech boosted 5.0 1989
398 RWHP 412 RWTQ

Shot a few rods on the autobahn at 70MPH.

Like I said, fun yes.
A choice I'll make again?

No.
I don't blame the FI.

But I've always loved building NA power.
This was the one exception.

The look on peoples faces with an Auto V6 that would run 13s.
13.8 at 101 MPH
It was all motor/suspension. Took longer, cost more. But it was the work that made it fun.
And I sold it for 22K when It was only worth 18 :)

It will be the same with the 4.6.

Besides worst comes to worst, it won't run 12s.
It'll be fun to drive. In the end it won't be the POS it is now.

It's always sad when I drive this I miss my 09 V6

boosted93

Reaction score
Nice ^^ My next project will be a single or twin turbo 5.0! Im swapping a 4v in my mustang right now but keeping it N/A

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have to agree with madstang here.

I think its more impressive seeing a lot of power out of an n/a car, though I'm not arguing a blower can't get you there quicker.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I just dont get why guys say that. I understand you can be proud to build a 300-350rwhp n/a car...but all that time and money and you still have a slow car that will get beat buy stock cars that come off the lot nowadays. You can say the same thing, try building a 500-600rwhp boosted motor with proper valves, maf's, fuel setups, boost calculations, etc...to me that takes just as much skill and knowledge... Just because you have boost doesnt mean your combo will produce and yield great power. It all has to flow and match properly. In essence, you have to get down the n/a aspects (heads/cams/intake) to successfully build a blown engine as well

MadStang

Reaction score
I just dont get why guys say that. I understand you can be proud to build a 300-350rwhp n/a car...but all that time and money and you still have a slow car that will get beat buy stock cars that come off the lot nowadays. You can say the same thing, try building a 500-600rwhp boosted motor with proper valves, maf's, fuel setups, boost calculations, etc...to me that takes just as much skill and knowledge... Just because you have boost doesnt mean your combo will produce and yield great power. It all has to flow and match properly. In essence, you have to get down the n/a aspects (heads/cams/intake) to successfully build a blown engine as well

Because it's something that realistically is not seen all that often. I hate to say it, because I do love boost, but it's the easy way out. When you have an N/A motor, you have to find every way possible to squeeze that extra 2-3hp out of it. On a boosted car, you can just make a pulley swap and retune to get more power out of it. Not quite as easy on an N/A application. My new shortblock has THE most lightweight rotating assembly available on the market to free up extra horsepower, it's been dynamically balanced so it can rev higher and faster, I've got all these extra little tid bits here and there to add little horsepower here, little horsepower there. My goal? 350rwhp. Very obtainable with everything put into it, but, I've seen lesser built N/A motors reach up to 390rwhp, but I don't want to hold my expectations too high. How much did I pay? $12,000 so far. Will it be worth every dime once I get it in the car? You bet your ass it will be, because of all the work and blueprinting that went into it. Sure I can get probably 500+rwhp for the same price I paid, but, personally, the end result just wouldn't be near as satisfying to me.

EDIT: and I don't see how 350rwhp could be considered slow.... Personally, I would never want my car more than 400rwhp if I'm driving on the street. That's just asking for trouble.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I guess people just have different reasonings and standards to doing builds. I was the same way, but I look at it as more of a science when building a motor with a blower. Its not just as easy as throwing smaller pulleys on with blowers and picking up big hp gains, you have to know efficiencies of blowers, crank pulley diameters, bypass valve capabilities, belt tension, belt slippage issues, IATs and blower heats, etc. Dont get me wrong, I bet its worth it to ya when you have that type of money and time into a build like that...but that just seems nuts to spend that money and have a car in that hp range. Just giving my honest opinion.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
have you ever been in a 500-600hp car? My car drives like it did at 300hp before I go WOT...

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lol, I've driven cars in that range, and ridden in plenty more of them.

But i've also been in a 10 second all motor fox.
Something about raw n/a power just gets to me.

When I was building my motor, it pissed me off all the time. But now, its done, and I feel confident driving every day, and I look back and say, yea, I did that. I feel like I wouldn't have the same feeling with a supercharger. It would be like, yea, I put that on, and let some guy tune it for me so I could drive it and burn more gas.

But that's just me.

MadStang

Reaction score
I guess people just have different reasonings and standards to doing builds. I was the same way, but I look at it as more of a science when building a motor with a blower. Its not just as easy as throwing smaller pulleys on with blowers and picking up big hp gains, you have to know efficiencies of blowers, crank pulley diameters, bypass valve capabilities, belt tension, belt slippage issues, IATs and blower heats, etc. Dont get me wrong, I bet its worth it to ya when you have that type of money and time into a build like that...but that just seems nuts to spend that money and have a car in that hp range. Just giving my honest opinion.

Depends on what you're building it for. My car is by no means a drag car. It's all road race. 7000+ RPM shifts etc. To me it's worth it because when you have a car that's blown or turbo in NASA racing, you're at a severe disadvantage because they adjust the modification points (only allowed a certain amount of modifications before being sent to a higher class) heavily, adds unnecessary weight to the front end, and last of all, at least around here, cars that are fast n/a on the road course are more respected than one's with blowers/turbos, this is for a multitude of reasons. For one, like I said it takes a bit more to squeak out that extra horsepower (you generally wont see a road course car anywhere about 500rwhp, just fyi). And secondly, most of the people who bring blow cars out don't know how to drive or don't set up there car for handling,They just haul ass on the straight aways.. I can't count how many times I've been pissed at a guy that brings too much car to the track, sure he'd catch me on the straights but I'd be right back up on his ass through the corners which effectively makes those laps considered throw outs because of traffic...

and sure if you were to go into a detailed build for a race car, it's a lot more detailed. but for most people going blown, they never break the 450rwhp barrier because they're doing it on the stock block. the one's who actually build the shortblock better blueprint the entire setup. I still find an N/A car just more respectable than a boosted one, it's a personal preference, not too say I don't love blower whine....

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I built my whole shortblock from the ground up and installed everything from the intercooler to the blower to the meth system on my car. Now thats satisfaction. I love how guys say "slap on a blower". If only it was that easy.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When I went to a racing class, I should have had the slowest car there (stock v6....against an sti, s2000's, things of the like) and found the same thing. Granted, they didnt have the driver mod, but I was tired oof being all over them in the turns though they got away from me on the straights.

I love high revving n/a :)

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
yeah, I agree everybodys setup is intended for different uses. Honestly, just around me with my family members and friends I have grown into nitrous, turbos, blowers etc. I got into it by doing my brothers 383 stroked trans am, seen how cars like that react to forced induction and I was sucked in. I honestly could car what people "respect" or not or how something sounds...I want my car to perform how I want it to, ya know

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you building the block makes a big difference. Some people just slap a blower onto basically stock motors.
Its nothing to argue over lol

MadStang

Reaction score
yeah, I agree everybodys setup is intended for different uses. Honestly, just around me with my family members and friends I have grown into nitrous, turbos, blowers etc. I got into it by doing my brothers 383 stroked trans am, seen how cars like that react to forced induction and I was sucked in. I honestly could car what people "respect" or not or how something sounds...I want my car to perform how I want it to, ya know

I've been around 8000+rpm rotary race cars all of my life. So that's where my fascination comes in with N/A cars. sure the 12A and 13B rotaries only make like 100rwhp stock, but on my brother's racecar which makes about 130rwhp and weighs only like 2000lbs, it's impressive to watch him just drive by Porsche's, etc. And not to mention his 200+rwhp N/A street RX7 he has... that thing could probably rape my roush in a straight line thanks to it's power:weight ratio.. It's all about what you're used to and I've built all n/a motors.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
haha yeah, take a look at my build thread...you want to talk about doing things from every nut to bolt...I'm doing my whole roll cage right now as well which is a project lol. But now that I agree and can see your point, more knowledge and skill involved in building a successfull n/a motor than just slapping on a blower on a stock block and calling it a day. Effective and more cost effective? yes, the easy way out? yes

MadStang

Reaction score
haha yeah, take a look at my build thread...you want to talk about doing things from every nut to bolt...I'm doing my whole roll cage right now as well which is a project lol. But now that I agree and can see your point, more knowledge and skill involved in building a successfull n/a motor than just slapping on a blower on a stock block and calling it a day. Effective and more cost effective? yes, the easy way out? yes

Thanked your post for understanding my point. I know $12k can go a lot farther on a boosted motor just isn't my thing. ;]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online