Boostr1's 98 GT Build Thread

PinkieT

Reaction score
I remember what a PITA it was to drop my tank and put it back using a regular floor jack. I had one of those trans jacks sitting in my garage, never thought to use it for the tank. Doh!

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
My engine hoist, engine stand, trans jack, 3 ton jack, portable power ECT... All came from Harbor. My hand tools I get at any mechanics store place with a lifetime warranty.

I have 4 of their 6 ton HD jack stands, and THEY are pretty stout. 2 of them ar keeping the car's rear in the air. I'm gonna see if I can get the other 2 up front to replace the small ones I'm using. I have a few of their tools as well that I use here and there, Electric planer, 6" metal chop saw that I bought to cut my SS braided fuel hose (and I'll use it for some metal cutting if need be, but won't be used heavily), red angle grinder (watched this welder dude talk about what tools are worth it from HF, and said this one is better than the black one). I wouldn't buy any of their hand tools though like wrenches and the such. I bought a set of allen wrenches from them, but the sizes were off. So I stick with Husky, Craftsmen, or Kobalt wrenches. They are not hoitty toitty tools but there fitment is alot better than HF. Rigid power tools are pretty good as well for the money. I have their Table saw and 10" chop saw. My heavy use power tools are definitely a nice step up to where I go with Milwaukee for their electric drill/ driver and impact drivers. I use those alot... Guess that happens if ya own a house.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
I remember what a PITA it was to drop my tank and put it back using a regular floor jack. I had one of those trans jacks sitting in my garage, never thought to use it for the tank. Doh!

Yeah, I was trying to figure something out on how I can handle the gas tank by myself efficiently without fighting it. Saw this, and didn't have to spend an arm and a leg. Jus strap a couple of 2x4s on it, and it should work out well.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
The harbor freight stuff is not bad
It dose get the jobs done
My Jack's jackstands engine hoist transmission jack work well
Price that stuff at tool world snap on matco
Or northern tool
Those prices get crazy

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Well this sucks, I need a new fuel tank vapor valve seal because the one that comes on the Cobra tank is for its bigger vapor valve. I didn't know that, and having this tank and a new OEM fuel tank vapor valve for several years I never thought to check if the seal will work... Sunday I went to install the valve, and of course the seal is different. I still have my old tank laying around and removed the seal from that one, but of course that one is all cracked everywhere because it's 20 some odd years old. So I ordered a new one from Tasca figuring I would get it in a couple of days because they're in Rhode Island, and I usually get their stuff I order pretty quick. This was on Sunday, figured I'll have it by this weekend so I can go ahead and install my tank... OF COURSE NOT! I get an Email saying they had to order it, and I probably won't get it for another week. Man, I should of just ordered it from LMR and would of gotten it today. Oh well. I'll just have to work on my catch can, and other things on the car.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
All set up... All I need now is some rad hot rod stickers plastered all over it... Looks like they changed the design from a a couple of years back. They replaced the bottom from the trough design where you had a hollow steel tube for siphoning the blast media, to a cone/ upside down pyramid design. At the bottom you attach the syphoning hose to fitting that has hexagonal bottom piece with a hole on each flat side, I guess it's more efficient this way.
I picked this one over the Harbor Freight model. Even though the HB is 3" longer, this one has all the extra stuff you would have to add on HB's plus the JobSmart is $10 cheaper as well as their blasting media only 10 bucks for a 50lb bag.

Works pretty good, running at 90 psi, and has no problem taking paint and rust off. I'm using Black Diamond fine coal slag for media. It does give aluminum some what of a gritty texture, but if your gonna paint it it doesn't matter in my case. Ya might want to use a silica based media to give you a nice shine on your aluminum.

20200517_151305.jpg 20200517_151316.jpg 20200517_153006.jpg

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Reinstalled my catch can. What a PITA that was. Hardly any room in the bay to get a good spot. I pretty much put it back where it was originally, under the CAI, but in a different spot. Running the hose for the drain kit was a hassle had to drill a whole thru the panel to run it inside the fender and attach the drain spiget somewhere behind the bumper.

20200531_131602.jpg

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Cleaned all the disgusting rodent leavings, buttoned everything up, changed the oil, added fuel and started her up.

Wait for it...
Stupid me forgot to tighten the AN fitting on the return line. There was fuel skeetsing all over. Lol

Here is after I fixed the problem...

One issue I have, and I had already before it sat. It will start up fine cold, but once warmed up It'll crank but won't start unless I press the go peddle... Any thoughts?

Last edited:

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
OH SHIT! Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit!

Good question about the warm start. Wonder if that has to do with the cold start enrichment?

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
OH SHIT! Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit!

Good question about the warm start. Wonder if that has to do with the cold start enrichment?

Thought that would be a great clip to post... Sure I'm not the only one that's happened to. My Ed Grimly prance was on fleek...

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Cleaned all the disgusting rodent leavings, buttoned everything up, changed the oil, added fuel and started her up.

Wait for it...
Stupid me forgot to tighten the AN fitting on the return line. There was fuel skeetsing all over. Lol

One issue I have, and I had already before it sat. It will start up fine cold, bit once warmed up It'll crank but won't start unless I press the go peddle... Any thoughts?
nothing like leaking fuel to get your hart pounding in a panic

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score

Wait for it...

One issue I have, and I had already before it sat. It will start up fine cold, bit once warmed up It'll crank but won't start unless I press the go peddle... Any thoughts?
where dose it idle at
I adjusted mine on the throttle body open up a bit for warm start
it will take a bit for the computer to learn also

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.