Brake bleeding

joemomma

Reaction score
Getting ready to replace the front calipers on my '94 with Cobra parts....so what's the correct order to bleed? I'm planning to flush all the fluid while I'm doing it, it likely has never been done.

ctandc

Reaction score
Furthest to nearest.
If you have an air compressor do yourself a favor and buy a bleeder setup. You can get 'em for under $50. If not, get a Mity Vac and prepare for a wrist / grip workout.

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah I was planning to grab the one from China Freight.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I've never had a bad brake bleed with:

Passenger rear >>> driver rear >>> passenger front >>> driver front. And if the Master Cylinder was replaced or a line cracked open very close to it (or between ABS and master) then the stock m/c should also have bleeders on it and will also need to be purged.

joemomma

Reaction score
I'll also be replacing the hoses with stainless for the new calipers - I'm guessing this is very straight-forward?

Shocker6

Reaction score
I've never had a bad brake bleed with:

Passenger rear >>> driver rear >>> passenger front >>> driver front. And if the Master Cylinder was replaced or a line cracked open very close to it (or between ABS and master) then the stock m/c should also have bleeders on it and will also need to be purged.
I did that and it didnt work. My buddy brought his snapon scanner and it said the exact opposite

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
All great info ^

Only info i can offer is to keep the brake reservoir full. It drains quick. Letting it drop low of fluide only causes more work.

ctandc

Reaction score
All great info ^

Only info i can offer is to keep the brake reservoir full. It drains quick. Letting it drop low of fluide only causes more work.

That's the best part about the bleeders that hook up to the air compressor. The 'kit' comes with a bottle for fresh brake fluid, with a valve and a bunch of plastic adapters that screw on the top of the bottle so you can invert the bottle of fresh fluid, valve closed, the adapter lets it sit in the reservoir, once you open the valve it automatically lets fluid go into the reservoir as your bleeding different calipers.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I did that and it didnt work. My buddy brought his snapon scanner and it said the exact opposite
Strange. My old ass Haynes manual that I bought way back in '04 specifically details it this way and that's what I've always used since. Never failed me. 1996 Cobra with ABS.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I found with the newer stuff and using a scan tool, they want closest first. So you’re not trapping air upstream and possibly pushing air toward the rear after you’ve already bled it.

I spoke with wilwood and they told me to open the master cylinder, open a front and rear bleeder and push the pedal all the way to the floor in a smooth motion. Hold the pedal down and have someone tighten the bleeders. Release the pedal, open the bleeders and repeat. Don’t let the master go dry. Do one side a couple times then move to the other.

This allows the master to move completely through its travel without resistance and you start moving fluid instead of trying to compress air.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.