BULLITT BUILD

96 Bullitt UBB

Reaction score
Id like some suggestion and thoughts. Im getting all my stuff together for my bullitt 1 off car. I just got the new block and crank. its a all standard and i was thinking of what i could do to it and get a little more that 265 hp 302tq with out having to worrie about emissions... remebering that i live in California. any suggestions. its got to be a good runner nothing to crazy.. if i could get at or over 300 id be happy.. Thanks

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Real easy I did it with a 96 2v.

Port your heads, get some Comp 270 or 278 cams and Roll with it. Personally Id trash your intake and get a standard PI manifold and sell your bullitt to someone who thinks its gods gift to induction. That will get you to 300 (it did for me) and you should be good. Do you have your old dyno for the 265 300 pull?

98gttorque

Reaction score
Where can u get good cams, ive been looking, Im doing the same but I want close to 350-450 hp

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
98gttorque said:
Where can u get good cams, ive been looking, Im doing the same but I want close to 350-450 hp

Do you want NA power or you going to use a power adder???

I ran Comp Cams last year this new motor has bullet race cams. If your looking over 350 hp NA, your prob not going to attain that. I have a pretty radical build on the NA side and prob wont get much more out of that combo. Power adder cars are a whole different story. A stock 04 GT with S trim put 420 to the wheels and was detuned to just under 4 on a very very safe tune. The motor was stock

OP
OP

96 Bullitt UBB

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:

Port your heads, get some Comp 270 or 278 cams and Roll with it. Personally Id trash your intake and get a standard PI manifold and sell your bullitt to someone who thinks its gods gift to induction. That will get you to 300 (it did for me) and you should be good. Do you have your old dyno for the 265 300 pull?

Im doing this with a 96 mustang. not the 01.... that stays. stock. i dont have the stock bullitt intake i got a new ford PI intake sitting here in the box for it.. and cant go big on the cams.

OP
OP

96 Bullitt UBB

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
98gttorque said:

Do you want NA power or you going to use a power adder???

I ran Comp Cams last year this new motor has bullet race cams. If your looking over 350 hp NA, your prob not going to attain that. I have a pretty radical build on the NA side and prob wont get much more out of that combo. Power adder cars are a whole different story. A stock 04 GT with S trim put 420 to the wheels and was detuned to just under 4 on a very very safe tune. The motor was stock

So should i save my money and just do a good stock build and throw a supercharger on it ??

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:

Those are the stock flywheel numbers for the Bullitt before the revision. Typical Bullitts put down around 235-240rwhp stock. If you want to feel like you've gained 25 horsepower, just swap to 4.10 gears and get it tuned.

And I have side by side dyno numbers for a PI vs. Bullitt intake in a direct swap, and I'll tell you that taking the Bullitt intake off for a PI intake is a good way to lose power under the curve, especially on the torque side. While the peak numbers aren't that different once the PI intake has a plenum and 75mm throttle body, the Bullitt intake kills it by up to 14 ft. lbs under the curve, and holds at least a 5ft lb advantage at all times.

It may not be god's gift to induction, but going to a PI intake when you already have the Bullitt is like taking 3 steps backwards.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Take your stock short block (depending on mileage) put PI heads, Pi manifold and shove some 270 cams in the heads. From there you can run ti and youll be around 300 wheel. Its not the number of hp you make but how efficently you make it. From there you should be ok and beable to do what you want. I dont see what you want out of the car but this is how the cams sound with a shorty header, off road H pipe and magnaflow mufflers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsdwEwOU35A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtDp1jgXFUc

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Bullitt5339 said:
And I have side by side dyno numbers for a PI vs. Bullitt intake in a direct swap, and I'll tell you that taking the Bullitt intake off for a PI intake is a good way to lose power under the curve, especially on the torque side. While the peak numbers aren't that different once the PI intake has a plenum and 75mm throttle body, the Bullitt intake kills it by up to 14 ft. lbs under the curve, and holds at least a 5ft lb advantage at all times.

It may not be god's gift to induction, but going to a PI intake when you already have the Bullitt is like taking 3 steps backwards.

But the money you can sell teh bullitt for, the price you can get a good used PI manifold for, then get a GOOD Accufab throttlebody and plenum setup which will flow better, use stock cables and be more "maine stream" then from there you also forget the weight difference between the B and the PI manifold. Look at some of the NMRA classes, some use the bullitt manifold but most love and will always use the PI manifold.

OP
OP

96 Bullitt UBB

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
Take your stock short block (depending on mileage) put PI heads, Pi manifold and shove some 270 cams in the heads. From there you can run ti and youll be around 300 wheel. Its not the number of hp you make but how efficently you make it. From there you should be ok and beable to do what you want. I dont see what you want out of the car but this is how the cams sound with a shorty header, off road H pipe and magnaflow mufflers.

Im not going to use my block .. i have a brandnew block sitting on my Kitchen counter ( no food in the kitchen but a 4.6 block and pi heads haha ) what i did is called up ford and ordered a brand new block and heads for a 2001 Bullitt. I will be running cats tho.. im going to find a stock manifold back system from 01-04 GT and a set of 01 bullitt mufflers also. Its got to stay smog legal. what Brand cams are the best to use. and do i have to get crazy on head porting and bigger valves or ???

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Alright thats fine that you got the stuff front ford, ohwever you didnt need to do that for a block. Reguardless. The cams you can use are the same I had in the video, the comp 270's will work good, get the power down and youll be happy. If you want Call Nick from Modular Head Shop,make sure you tell him Duff Daddy sent you and tell him you would like some PI heads Ported and some cams simillar to a comp 270. He will take good care of you and get you a fair price. He does awesome work and will get the parts back as soon as he can.

OP
OP

96 Bullitt UBB

Reaction score
well i
Duff Daddy said:
Alright thats fine that you got the stuff front ford, ohwever you didnt need to do that for a block. Reguardless. The cams you can use are the same I had in the video, the comp 270's will work good, get the power down and youll be happy. If you want Call Nick from Modular Head Shop,make sure you tell him Duff Daddy sent you and tell him you would like some PI heads Ported and some cams simillar to a comp 270. He will take good care of you and get you a fair price. He does awesome work and will get the parts back as soon as he can.

Well i didnt want to use my block.. cuz i want the car to still work while i build the new motor then do a full drop in. is there a difference in the stock manifolds from 96-98 - 99-04? and or does anyone make some smog legal headers that arent a pain in the ass.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
i too recommend the stock pi intake. there isnt any intake manifolds really worth a damn n/a street trim other than that. if you went turbo or blower the others are fine. if you get a professional products upper elbow port it. thats, all ill get into with that. when ever you rebuild this. please go with an 8-bolt crank. has better options for flywheels and you are still able to get 10.5 or 11 inch clutch.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
96 Bullitt UBB said:
well i
Duff Daddy said:

Well i didnt want to use my block.. cuz i want the car to still work while i build the new motor then do a full drop in. is there a difference in the stock manifolds from 96-98 - 99-04? and or does anyone make some smog legal headers that arent a pain in the a*s.

Thats fine, the swap with it still working is definatly a good idea if you dont have the time to swap or store the car. There is a difference in the Intake manifolds yea. 96-8 are NPI manifolds (some do have an aluminum crossover) and the 99+ are the PI manifolds which flow better, most are aluminum crossover and for the weight/price/hp gain its the best on the market.

As far as headers, you can run stock manifolds, ou can run Shortys,wherey ou have the motor out just bolt them on and then stuff the motor back up in the car (i always drop the motor out, ont lift it out)

You can try a Mid legnth I think someone here was selling them which you could use but Shortys from FRPP/BBK will work fine if you dont want stock manifolds.

OP
OP

96 Bullitt UBB

Reaction score
Vermilion said:
i too recommend the stock pi intake. there isnt any intake manifolds really worth a damn n/a street trim other than that. if you went turbo or blower the others are fine. if you get a professional products upper elbow port it. thats, all ill get into with that. when ever you rebuild this. please go with an 8-bolt crank. has better options for flywheels and you are still able to get 10.5 or 11 inch clutch.

i dont know what bolt the crank it has with it is.. well im not at home so i dont remeber off hand.. and i have a FRPP pi intake manifold on my npi motor now.. and i have a new FRPP pi intake manifold for the new motor.. i read up on how crummy the after markerts are. and you said get the PP upper elbow.. should i get the spacer to or is that a waste of time.. and what about the throttle body?

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
i didnt say to get it. i said if you decided to get it since most people do. they have rough texture in the casting. i took a dremel and smoothed the bore out on the inside. the spacers are a waste of time. all of them.. the PP elbow is already raised 3/4".

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
If your going to spend money and do this do it right and buy an Accufab Throttlebody and plenum. Its not cheap, prob one of the most expensive, but definatly worth it!

OP
OP

96 Bullitt UBB

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
If your going to spend money and do this do it right and buy an Accufab Throttlebody and plenum. Its not cheap, prob one of the most expensive, but definatly worth it!

is it better than the steeda ?

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
96 Bullitt UBB said:
Duff Daddy said:

is it better than the steeda ?

Accufab is the choice of champions!!! It is used by racers, people who depend on tetting every ounce of power out of the car!

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
its all the same theoretically. upr, trick flow, and PP are all the same design.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online