Casper the Cobra - Procharged 96' Cobra

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Take the oil pan off and look at the cylinders, best you can from the bottom.
Should be pretty easy... the truck pans don't have windage trays. Just looking for marring on the cylinder walls, was going to ask if he could get a video of the engine spinning over...

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Should be pretty easy... the truck pans don't have windage trays. Just looking for marring on the cylinder walls, was going to ask if he could get a video of the engine spinning over..

Check on the steel pan conversion for the gen 3. Those are plastic pans. I know the gen 2’s have a steel pan and the pan gasket has the windage tray built in to it.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Check on the steel pan conversion for the gen 3. Those are plastic pans. I know the gen 2’s have a steel pan and the pan gasket has the windage tray built in to it.
PBH has one that uses a Gen 1 / Gen 2 pan... need to check and see how much the Moroso unit is.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Standard capacity on the stock pan is like 9.75 quarts to be full, I just wanted you to be aware of that. There were also some header clearance problems with the big aftermarket pans at one point in time. Just things to think about.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Standard capacity on the stock pan is like 9.75 quarts to be full, I just wanted you to be aware of that. There were also some header clearance problems with the big aftermarket pans at one point in time. Just things to think about.

That's plenty of oil.
I run an MMR pan on my turbo 4.6, that holds 10 qts.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Sooooooooooo....

Can the Coyote guys help me start a short list of what needs to be changed to convert this F-150 Coyote to Mustang spec?

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Are you keeping gen 3 heads and cams?
Yes, planned on swapping the intake camshafts for Mustang. Need to research what phasers etc are needed.

Quick question what length bolts to attach to engine stand? I know they are 10mm x 1.5 but can't find anything about length.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yes, planned on swapping the intake camshafts for Mustang. Need to research what phasers etc are needed.

Quick question what length bolts to attach to engine stand? I know they are 10mm x 1.5 but can't find anything about length.
I really don’t know the length. I don’t have a stand by me to measure the bracket.

Are there differences between mustang and f150 cams in the gen 3? I need to do more research. But if it’s the same as gen 2, you’ll need mustang specific cams, phasers, and phaser solenoids.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I really don’t know the length. I don’t have a stand by me to measure the bracket.

Are there differences between mustang and f150 cams in the gen 3? I need to do more research. But if it’s the same as gen 2, you’ll need mustang specific cams, phasers, and phaser solenoids.
I believe exhaust cam is the same, intake cam is different.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Power by the Hour confirmed the GEN 2 pump with boundary gears can be used, which allows a GEN 2 pick up and oil pan to be used.

Tasca:
Gen 2 Oil Pan - $124.88
Gen 2 Pickup - $26.21
Gen 2 Windage Gasket - $56.62
Gen 2 Oil Pump - $171.00
Total: $378.71

PBH:
Oil Pan Conversion - $359.99
Gen 3 Oil Pump - $78.54
Total: $438.53

Should save about $60 to use the GEN 2 stuff.

Edit: They also said the Mustang intake cams in their opinion aren't worth it, and once tuned the GEN 3 F-150 engines run just as hard as the Mustangs. However, they did recommend phaser replacement, so at that point at $124/each might as well change the cams as well?

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
That’s good info. I didn’t find anything definitive on the oil pump. Don’t forget the gen 2 oil filter adapter. Apparently the gen 3 has an oil pressure bypass in there and should be swapped.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
That’s good info. I didn’t find anything definitive on the oil pump. Don’t forget the gen 2 oil filter adapter. Apparently the gen 3 has an oil pressure bypass in there and should be swapped.
I’m going to have to spend this winter doing a bunch of research. Apparently I’m going to have to swap all cams with new Mustang phasers in order to run the FRPP control pack. Good thing this isn’t a race to finish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online