Clunk on startup

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Thats the problem, it could be any number of things. If the calipers are corroded they wont release. If the slides arent greased youll run into something similar. Usually with slides they wont lock onto the wheels though. Id check the three big ones, calipers, mc and hydro.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Well today I finally got time to get out there and work on the stang again. Im suspecting the slider pins now. When I compress the pistons and move the calipers they move but not as smooth as I think they should. I regreased the top slider pin and noticed 2 things, the more times I compressed it the slider would push out like when you push on a balloon and it returns to its shape and the outer pad is clearly more worn than the inner so it seems like when the brakes are applied the pistons force the pads onto the rotor, the brakes are released and the pistons retract but the slider pins keep the tension on the outer pads. How does that sound?

I dont have any concrete on my driveway to put my car up on jack stands so I cant test both front tires at the same time but I think both are dragging. Ill have to confirm later. This is going to sound stupid but I kept the old anti drag clips on the calipers because I couldnt get the new ones to seat, but I tried installing a new one today and it looks like it didnt help at all.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I havent gotten to it yet... I took off the drivers side front caliper a few days ago to put a new anti drag clip in it and clean the slide pins and took it for a spin to a gas station nearby. On the way back I smelled burning pads and immediately pulled over to find that rotor was very hot and smoking a little. I used a water bottle I had to cool it down, yea yea I know but I needed to get it home lol, and drove it home. Its been parked ever since. And Ive been pulling the passenger side trim pieces and carpet on my 07 due to the infamous water leak when the cowl drains get plugged. Honestly I was just lazy yesterday but today, if its not raining, Ill reclean the slide pins and put another anti drag clip in it. I think it was bent when I put it in. Honestly Ive never used the hardware that comes with pads because Ive never needed it.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
I havent gotten to it yet... I took off the drivers side front caliper a few days ago to put a new anti drag clip in it and clean the slide pins and took it for a spin to a gas station nearby. On the way back I smelled burning pads and immediately pulled over to find that rotor was very hot and smoking a little. I used a water bottle I had to cool it down, yea yea I know but I needed to get it home lol, and drove it home. Its been parked ever since. And Ive been pulling the passenger side trim pieces and carpet on my 07 due to the infamous water leak when the cowl drains get plugged. Honestly I was just lazy yesterday but today, if its not raining, Ill reclean the slide pins and put another anti drag clip in it. I think it was bent when I put it in. Honestly Ive never used the hardware that comes with pads because Ive never needed it.

Yea sometimes that can bite back. Hope it works out for ya.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I pulled the drivers side caliper and it looks like one of the pistons may be sticking. New caliper time.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Im rebuilding a caliper right now and am driving the 07 gt so theres no rush. And Im starting a new job so I dont have the time like before. Its coming along slowly lol.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Its all good! Where'd you land a job? Glad to hear youre back to work.

Home depot, I just need a job to get me through the police academy then hopefully Ill get picked up soon after. After seating the pistons in the bore on my other caliper Im not confident in my work so Im just going to bite the bullet and buy me a rebuilt caliper to get me through until I get cobra brakes. One piston went in easily but the other one I had some trouble with retracting it in the bore. Its most likely going to stick too and Im not going to take that chance. Bye bye money.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Home depot, I just need a job to get me through the police academy then hopefully Ill get picked up soon after. After seating the pistons in the bore on my other caliper Im not confident in my work so Im just going to bite the bullet and buy me a rebuilt caliper to get me through until I get cobra brakes. One piston went in easily but the other one I had some trouble with retracting it in the bore. Its most likely going to stick too and Im not going to take that chance. Bye bye money.

Yea sometimes its a good idea to take some emery cloth to the bore and smooth it out.

And hey theres nothing wrong with home depot, alot of people make that their career. You can make six figures as a store manager.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I ended up getting a rebuilt caliper. Yea so far home depot seem pretty cool and they actually care about their employees, unlike the last place I worked at... And as a part time associate I can sign up for vision and dental. My last job it was required to have at least 1500 hours anually but it was a crapshoot. I was there 4.5 years and of that 2 I was elgible for insurance but it was close. They just didnt want to pay for benefits. Its sad too because they always brag about how great their customer service it, but apparently that doesnt apply to their associates...

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I got it swapped in earlier and it seems ok but Im not sure it really fixed anything. The caliper was a little wobbly when I bolted the caliper onto the slide pins. And it feels like I have less of a pedal, maybe spongy. The car will brake fine but its spongy and the brakes will lock up towards the bottom of the pedal where there is more resistance. Ill have to take it for a spin again, before the new caliper was put on it would be fine until I took the car out for a few miles then the caliper would start dragging.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Removing this rim with a tire iron is a ***** lol! Especially when I have to do it multiple times. Ill bleed it some more in the next few days. My fiance lost my vacuum bleeder so Ive been using a one man brake bleeder and the fluid looks good with no bubbles in the tube before I close the bleeder but maybe its leaking past the threads? I noticed the new caliper didnt come a crush washer and the old one didnt have one, is it ok like that or could that be the reason air is getting in?

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I bled them again but the change is minimal and there seems to be no air in the fluid. Im going to take her out tonight so there wont be traffic out if I have to stop. Im thinking either the hydroboost or master cylinder is going. There is spongyness in the pedal and my brakes will apply but the top 3/4 of travel does little unless I hold the pedal steady then itll eventually stop. When I try an emergency stop most of the time itll lock up and pull to the left a little. When I bled the brakes I tried spinning the hub by hand but its not freely spinning. Im thinking its not the caliper since it did this with the old caliper and now this new one. When I checked the passenger side front caliper it seemed like it was dragging too but judging by the pad wear, its not bad at all. The drivers side were much worse than the passenger side and even the new pads are wearing more on the drivers side. Oh and it seems like they drag more and more as I drive.

Another thing Id like to point out is that when I push the brakes near the floor the rpms drop and the power steering pump will whine.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Yea, go after the master cylinder. Are you having the same issue when youre sitting still and turning the wheel? Put in park turn the steering wheel back and forth. I dont have much experience with fords hydroboost but a hydraulic system is a hydraulic system. Know what i mean?

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
You mean does it whine and rpms drop when I turn the wheel? I think so. A few weeks ago I noticed a whine coming from under the hood, thinking it was the typical ford power steering pump whine. It turned out to be the alternator so the whine, if it is the power steering pump, pretty much came out of nowhere. Ill test the master cylinder tomorrow. Thanks.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I bled both bleeders on the master cylinder but the brakes are still about the same. From what I can tell, the brakes will stick and will take time to retract once I take my foot off the brake. There didnt seem to be any air in the lines though.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Man idk, if the rpms are dropping bad when you use the powersteering at all maybe it is the hydroboost. Again i dont know much about fords system but it shouldnt put a big strain on the system unless something is wrong with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online