CompOrangeSN95's Project SN9500 Build Thread

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
Revised because of broken links

I've been gone for a long time, and I'm not honestly sure why. BUT, I have a new project and I thought you guys might enjoy it. It's a long, slow, build... but I'm not cutting corners or skimping this time around. So here it is: Project SN9500. The goal is to make a street legal time trial/hillclimb car.

So,
I scooped up an IRS from an 03 cobra off craigslist for about $700. Stripped it, painted the subframe, and reassembled with FTBR delrin bushings and solid diff mount. Replaced the stock control arms with Kenny Brown upper and lowers and machined a custom set of toe-links from 2024-t351 aluminum. Rebuilt and painted some Wilwood calipers I had bought at carlisle a few years ago and designed a custom mount so I could run a separate e-brake caliper. Added an Eibach sway bar, and FTBR end links.

jE610mj.jpg

Fancy bits in the front:

mYKJzJv.jpg

All of the links in this thread have been broken since Photobucket did it's thing. I will not be going through the thread to fix these links, but am happy to re-post any picture upon request.

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

IRS is a pretty awesome first mod, especially for a v6! Sooooo.....what all do you have planned for it?

It's a pretty long list, but to be general: Full NASA/SCCA spec cage, SLA front, either a 4.6 or 5.4, and full underbody aero. The v6 will be for sale soon after I dive into the engine bay. It runs like a champ, but I have no use for it. I actually finished the design for the diffuser last night but need to get the fuel cell and IRS in the car before I can start mocking it up.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like the 5.4L idea, I just assumed you'd be going with a pushrod...

Do some more work, I've already seen all this on Facebook, gahh

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
Thanks everyone

Looking good can't wait to do FTB bushings on mine, any functional advantage to your toe links or was it just cause

My original reason was to make a lighter set than what was already on the market. But they still weight about 1.5lbs each, which I think is about the weight of the FTBR ones. I haven't been able to confirm the weight of FTBR's toe-links yet, so that's more of an assumption.

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
Diffuser design and thought process for anyone that's interested.

I used a naca STOL aerofoil for the basic geometry. They have a maximum attack angle of about 17° so I inverted the shape, set the centerline at 15° and made the leading edge tangent to the belly pan. I also added the equivalent (or something similar) of a leading edge slat to help with laminar flow. The 2 flaps on either side are spring loaded and designed to drop down in case the rear suspension ever fully unloads causing the control arms to hit. 22 gallon fuel cell for scale. I think it looks pretty neat.

diffuser_rev.b_zpscxoyffvx.jpg

TTSaleen

Reaction score
Damn that IRS is Beau-TI-fullll!!!!!! Great job!
:headbang:

Ryan

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Dude, you do realize that your diffuser design...looks f'n awesome...don't you?! Seriously that's pretty sweet.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
This is interesting on so many levels. I am curious how you like the IRS over the SRA in the corners. Also, that diffuser sure loooooks sweet. I see that you have or plan to have a fuel cell. Are you plan on cutting into the trunk and have the fuel cell sit higher than the OEM tank? and since you are making a belly pan, are you planning on reworking the bottom to sit flat? or are you planning to make it lower and keep the bottom the same?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online