CompOrangeSN95's Project SN9500 Build Thread

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
This is interesting on so many levels. I am curious how you like the IRS over the SRA in the corners. Also, that diffuser sure loooooks sweet. I see that you have or plan to have a fuel cell. Are you plan on cutting into the trunk and have the fuel cell sit higher than the OEM tank? and since you are making a belly pan, are you planning on reworking the bottom to sit flat? or are you planning to make it lower and keep the bottom the same?

I'm curious about the IRS vs watts link as well honestly. I've driven an SRA GT500 with a watts link and a decently well setup suspension more times than I can count, so I have something to compare it too (despite the almost 1k difference in weight). The IRS should stay more stable in bumpy corners, but on smooth pavement I'm sure an SRA watts link setup would be equally as fast. The plan for the belly pan is make it level with the bottom of svo skirts and follow that throughout the car. I will likely machine standoffs that mount to the chassis, making it easier to keep the whole thing flat. I need to plan some spots for naca ducts for rear brake cooling, diff cooler, and trans cooler.

P.S. I may be copying your splitter... it looks fantastic.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I'm curious about the IRS vs watts link as well honestly. I've driven an SRA GT500 with a watts link and a decently well setup suspension more times than I can count, so I have something to compare it too (despite the almost 1k difference in weight). The IRS should stay more stable in bumpy corners, but on smooth pavement I'm sure an SRA watts link setup would be equally as fast. The plan for the belly pan is make it level with the bottom of svo skirts and follow that throughout the car. I will likely machine standoffs that mount to the chassis, making it easier to keep the whole thing flat. I need to plan some spots for naca ducts for rear brake cooling, diff cooler, and trans cooler.

P.S. I may be copying your splitter... it looks fantastic.

I have the 3 link set up in my 94 but with a pan hard bar. totally different animal compared to the stock setup. But i always wondered how the IRS will be if i did that instead.

The belly pan will be much easier to make and deal with since you have the IRS. you can channel it through the bottom of the diff and leave the control arm radius open. it will be plenty low with the splitter and svn side skirts so keep that in mind.

I hope you like scraping because it does that a lot..lol. but thank you! I am still finding better ways to mount it because i too plan on doing the belly pan and diffuser. So i will probably copy your information above haha

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
I have the 3 link set up in my 94 but with a pan hard bar. totally different animal compared to the stock setup. But i always wondered how the IRS will be if i did that instead.

The belly pan will be much easier to make and deal with since you have the IRS. you can channel it through the bottom of the diff and leave the control arm radius open. it will be plenty low with the splitter and svn side skirts so keep that in mind.

I hope you like scraping because it does that a lot..lol. but thank you! I am still finding better ways to mount it because i too plan on doing the belly pan and diffuser. So i will probably copy your information above haha

haha yeah I expect to scrape, but it won't be driven on the street too often. I actually designed the diffuser to mount bellow the IRS cradle, so it clears the lower control arms and mounts. It has spring loaded, hinged, dropout panels under the control arms in case the suspension ever full unloads. If it works out well, I plan on making a second version for SRA cars.

I have a small side company called ARG performance, making custom parts. I'd probably just add it to my inventory and offer them raw or coated (powder or anodize).

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Subscribed! This build is looking great! Do you plan on keeping its stock blue?

Im also in NJ. What area are you near? Glad to see another local. Where was the orange track picture taken Pocono raceway?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Diffuser design and thought process for anyone that's interested.

I used a naca STOL aerofoil for the basic geometry. They have a maximum attack angle of about 17° so I inverted the shape, set the centerline at 15° and made the leading edge tangent to the belly pan. I also added the equivalent (or something similar) of a leading edge slat to help with laminar flow. The 2 flaps on either side are spring loaded and designed to drop down in case the rear suspension ever fully unloads causing the control arms to hit. 22 gallon fuel cell for scale. I think it looks pretty neat.

diffuser_rev.b_zpscxoyffvx.jpg

Interesting. Looks like a double diffuser. Here is something you may want to consider and try. I've been watching some tech videos about Formula 1, and one of the engineers was explaining how the diffuser works, saying that basically, you need to make the ramp (shape of the side profile) as aggressive as possible, because the smooth air traveling under a very low car will reach the back where the height of the floor will change due to diffuser shape, and that will generate downforce due to creation of the vacuum. I sketched it out very quickly. I understand that fuel tank location could possible cause a restriction, but I'm pretty sure that the shape that I'm talking about should be the correct one. If you ever look at the race cars, by the time the diffuser reaches the back bumper, it's usually pretty flat to the floor.

6f2se8.jpg

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
Subscribed! This build is looking great! Do you plan on keeping its stock blue?

Im also in NJ. What area are you near? Glad to see another local. Where was the orange track picture taken Pocono raceway?

Nice! I see that you're pretty close to Hawks nest based on your sig. I'm in Ringwood. The picture of the Orange car was taken at Summit Point. It's turn 1 at the end of the main straight. And no, lol. It'll be orange, just like my other one.

Interesting. Looks like a double diffuser. Here is something you may want to consider and try. I've been watching some tech videos about Formula 1, and one of the engineers was explaining how the diffuser works, saying that basically, you need to make the ramp (shape of the side profile) as aggressive as possible, because the smooth air traveling under a very low car will reach the back where the height of the floor will change due to diffuser shape, and that will generate downforce due to creation of the vacuum. I sketched it out very quickly. I understand that fuel tank location could possible cause a restriction, but I'm pretty sure that the shape that I'm talking about should be the correct one. If you ever look at the race cars, by the time the diffuser reaches the back bumper, it's usually pretty flat to the floor.

6f2se8.jpg

Thanks for the input man! I will definitely consider changing the shape. I plan on doing some scale flow testing to fine tune it as best I can with my current resources. The idea was to use a proven aerofoil from an "STOL" (slow take off and landing) plane and add a second plane (the lower section) to help keep the air attached at higher speeds. I understand that a diffuser is primarily there to allow air traveling under the car to expand before exiting, causing a vacuum effect which effectively generates downforce. Do you have a link to the video? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Side note: This seems to be the general shape that I've found, where the back end continues to arch.
d10mal1771.jpg

ReplicaR

Reaction score
It was during one of the race buildups for Sky Sport F1 races, so I don't really recall where I've seen it exactly. The point I was trying to make is that the shape overall has to be different. It doesn't have to stop rising at the end I guess. Here is an interesting picture, you can clearly see the diffusers on the 2009 F1 cars.

2l89a9g.jpg

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Nice! I see that you're pretty close to Hawks nest based on your sig. I'm in Ringwood. The picture of the Orange car was taken at Summit Point. It's turn 1 at the end of the main straight.

No Sh**! I was just on skyline drive today :tongue:. Thats awesome, were practically neighbors! Maybe ill run into ya this summer, feel free to contact me if anything is going on in the area. Ill do that same. - Going to try to make it out to a few local shows this year.

Ah summits in WV right? Haven't been to that one yet, ill have to check it out one day. Have you ever been to Pocono Raceway?

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
It was during one of the race buildups for Sky Sport F1 races, so I don't really recall where I've seen it exactly. The point I was trying to make is that the shape overall has to be different. It doesn't have to stop rising at the end I guess. Here is an interesting picture, you can clearly see the diffusers on the 2009 F1 cars.

2l89a9g.jpg
Thanks, that's great info, but I don't think I'd have space for a design like that.

This is a good article that describes what I'm going for with my diffuser design.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/technology-explained/diffusers-engineering-basics-aerodynamics/#

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
No Sh**! I was just on skyline drive today :tongue:. Thats awesome, were practically neighbors! Maybe ill run into ya this summer, feel free to contact me if anything is going on in the area. Ill do that same. - Going to try to make it out to a few local shows this year.

Ah summits in WV right? Haven't been to that one yet, ill have to check it out one day. Have you ever been to Pocono Raceway?
Haha nice! I drive that almost everyday. My dd is a '12 wrx hatch. I drove Pocono a few years ago before they repaved it. I hear it's much nicer now. Yeah, summit point is in wv. They have a few tracks. Shenandoah was really tricky in the Orange car. It doesn't have a great setup. Their main course is fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
haha yeah I expect to scrape, but it won't be driven on the street too often. I actually designed the diffuser to mount bellow the IRS cradle, so it clears the lower control arms and mounts. It has spring loaded, hinged, dropout panels under the control arms in case the suspension ever full unloads. If it works out well, I plan on making a second version for SRA cars.

I have a small side company called ARG performance, making custom parts. I'd probably just add it to my inventory and offer them raw or coated (powder or anodize).

Ill be looking out for it. Nice to see some functional parts out in the market.

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
Update: The drive train has arrived. '98 cobra, 105k miles, with some cosmetic damage. I'll be using the engine, trans, hydroboost, and abs module. The front brakes are going to my Dad and the rest will be up for grabs. My car is currently on the lift and waiting for me to pull the rear.

PS: The Triumph Spitfire is being parted out as well. If you happen to know any enthusiasts give me a shout. It's a 1979 with an original hard top. Engine runs, and the trans shifts.

20160510_184913_zpsyygtevj1.jpg

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
Now you see it...
20160517_162639_zpsq2e8wjl9.jpg

Now you don't...
20160517_183741_zpsa0h8kwof.jpg

Next up is to cutout the spare tire well and a majority of the trunk floor. Once that's out I'll weld in a chromoly brace, media blast the underside, paint it, and install the IRS.

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
Update: Rear frame brace is in. The sheet metal warped while I was welding it... operator error. The brace is nice and straight though, and that's all that matters. I added gussets and 1/4" angle iron to tie the back sheet metal to the frame and gives me a place to mount my new bumper support. Next step is cleaning everything and preping it for the IRS.

20160530_144841_zps3bxcahxj.jpg

20160530_144810_zpsy3ukywg0.jpg

OP
OP
CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95

Reaction score
I got the car outside today and power washed the underside. Since the car doesn't have a trunk or rear, we just jacked it up with an engine hoist and wheeled it outside.

20160605_094931_zpsdsbrrhel.jpg

Once it was clean we rolled it back onto the lift and got the rear end in place, again using the engine hoist.

20160605_134107_zpsvrduspzu.jpg

Got everything lined up, installed it, and marked the frame to drill holes for the rear mounts. I ended up machining some 3/8" 6061 aluminum plates to put on top of the frame rail but forgot to take a picture of the finished product. Here's some pictures of the rear end installed, before we took it back out to drill the frame and install the aluminum plates.

20160605_144553_zpsmohvk7ci.jpg

20160605_163609_zps0mfjkmna.jpg

IMG_20160605_164333_zpswitskphj.jpg

I'm hoping to get some more work done on it in the next few weeks. Also looking at getting some maximum motorsports mm2 coil overs at the end of the month.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to see progress on this car. I'm ready for some track videos again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.