Elrod's 5.0 Revival

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Also on this day in Mustang History...

e9ff350e44ee5d7240d70ab5b383f3e8.jpg

Nothing a lil superglue and duct tape can't fix!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
These days are all too familiar. You doing the engine bay body work too? That's when the fun starts

Yea bud I'm gonna learn it and get some experience under my belt. Never done any bodywork before so I'll be an apprentice on this project once my buddy gets to a point where we can start on it.

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Yea bud I'm gonna learn it and get some experience under my belt. Never done any bodywork before so I'll be an apprentice on this project once my buddy gets to a point where we can start on it.

Oh it's not bad at all. Just takes time

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Been a while and absolutely zero progress has been made. A couple of you guys know what's up so I'll catch the rest of you up on what's been happening...

To begin with, the car is not at my house, it is in the shop of a good friend who lives about 25 minutes away. When the engine swap progress started he offered to let me store the car there and work on it since I'm not able to get the car into my shop due to it being built off the ground...plus he had his welder and everything we would need in his shop so why not. Me and this guy go waaaay back, really good friends...He's one of the best painters in this area, has built and painted some really awesome cars around this area. He works as a painter at a body shop for a living but also does vehicles on the side out of his shop so he said it would be no problem to get my engine panels welded in and all of the bodywork/paint taken care of. Well we all know how that buddy system stuff goes unfortunately....

The guy has a wife and kid so I never wanted to get to pushy about getting to work on my car, plus I was working a lot too so we just messed with it when I was able. Around a month ago I ask him one day about doing some work on the car and he told me he was taking a break from all car related activities for a while and focusing on family stuff, which is cool I wasnt gonna argue anything with that. A little while later I found out that he and his wife were having problems over him spending too much time working on friends cars or his cars and not very much time with her or his son, so that explains the sudden hiatus. I played it cool and gave him a while to get things settled then just stopped hearing from him at all, no response to messages or anything else. I didn't have a key to his shop so I could only work on the car if he was home or had left the key at home...so when I don't hear from him after messaging him I really hated to drive all the way to his house planning on working on the car just for him to not be there. So finally one day last week I stopped by his house and talked to him. He apologized for everything and explained the situation and everything he had been going through. I told him I would be willing to just go ahead and pay for the car to get finished at the body shop if his boss would agree to it, so I'm waiting to hear back on that hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday. He said in the meantime he would try to dedicate some time to helping me get as much done on the car before going into the shop to try and save me as much money as possible if we do things that way. I'm not the only one waiting on a car to be painted either though..

I kinda feel like the bad guy in a way on this...don't wanna ruin a good friendship over a damn car, but I also want to get back to work on my damn car. If I can just get the engine bay done then I can get back to work on the rest of it. Paint and bodywork are out of my league, if I knew more about it then I'd do it myself but I can't do it all.

Hopefully I'll have more progress to add in here soon. In the meantime just keep your fingers crossed for me that things will start working out.

7738ce21b8ccbbde1eb89321e3d2cd7d.jpg

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Pay the man for the work thats done and take your car. This buddy crap you speak is a joke whem a marriage is involved and sounds to me you have the shortest straw. Shortest straw gets put last, if you even get to "put", youre still last. Go get your car before someone else does. Dont count on any work being done to the car.

Your buddy is looking out for himself, so should you.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ForcFed93

Reaction score
Pay the man for the work thats done and take your car. This buddy crap you speak is a joke whem a marriage is involved and sounds to me you have the shortest straw. Shortest straw gets put last, if you even get to "put", youre still last. Go get your car before someone else does. Dont count on any work being done to the car.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This 100%. Save your friendship, his marriage, and your car by cutting the business deal short. You can always find a reputable shop that will finish it up exactly as you want. It might cost more, but at least your car won't be locked away with no access, no progress, and no communication for an indeterminate amount of time.

Buddy deals are always a gamble. At least with a shop you generally have a means of financial recourse if things go awry.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good friend of mine went thru something very similar. He ended up getting his car back in not so great shape cause it became a part of the friends and wife's arguments. She had her way with it when he wasn't there.

Not saying this would happen, but still better to get out of that situation. Mine is at a friends garage but 1) I have keys & 2) I help him with motor swaps and I've bought him tools so that my car isn't an argument.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score

You are definitely right about him looking out for himself, which I understand. If I had been married as long as he had I would wanna do what it took to keep things afloat too I'm sure...and I'm looking out for myself too don't worry. However I do know the guy very very very well and say this with 100% confidence that I don't have to worry about him doing anything with the car or having anything happen to it while it stays there. I know it's one thing to hear someone say that over the Internet but trust me I'm picky enough with my car that it wouldn't even be at his house in the first place if I didn't have complete trust in him and the rest of his family.

This 100%. Save your friendship, his marriage, and your car by cutting the business deal short. You can always find a reputable shop that will finish it up exactly as you want. It might cost more, but at least your car won't be locked away with no access, no progress, and no communication for an indeterminate amount of time.

Buddy deals are always a gamble. At least with a shop you generally have a means of financial recourse if things go awry.

Also agree with this. That's why I decided to talk to him directly and ask if he would be interested in working on the car through the body shop. That way it's no longer so much of a buddy deal and it's under the "part of my job" category so his wife can't get mad over that lol. I do know a few other great painters that I'm sure would have no problem taking the car into their shop, but since he's been a part of working on the car for so long to begin with I didn't feel right to just show up and say 'hey I'm taking my car and getting someone else to finish it' without atleast giving him a shot at still doing it and getting paid for it thru work.

Good friend of mine went thru something very similar. He ended up getting his car back in not so great shape cause it became a part of the friends and wife's arguments. She had her way with it when he wasn't there.

Not saying this would happen, but still better to get out of that situation. Mine is at a friends garage but 1) I have keys & 2) I help him with motor swaps and I've bought him tools so that my car isn't an argument.

As mentioned above I know I wouldn't have to worry about that happening at all...100% not a thought that even crosses my mind. But I get what you're saying completely and I have seen it happen before too.

Right after this whole thing started, I had a copy of his key made...but it didn't always wanna work right, and he had talked about just putting new locks and knobs on the building anyways since the ones on it now are older than we are lol. Soon after is when I started working out of town so much and it just kinda fell off both of our minds. And before the whole marriage problem ordeal I haven't had to worry about not being able to get into the shop. This all came up in the last few weeks. So it's about the same situation as you except I don't physically have the key at the moment. But yea same deal otherwise, I've helped him on a ton of projects from cars to electrical and anything you can think of, and loaned each other tools back and forth so yea I know the car isn't in the way by sitting in his shop.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Trust me when I say that if I thought my car was in jeopardy of disappearing from his shop or being harmed in any way I would be there in a heartbeat to load it up and find another place for it. Even if it meant pouring a slab under the shed in the backyard of the house I'm renting lol. I'm just ready for the day I get my shop built.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Sooo two months have now gone by and still no progress....until today. But I'll get to that in a minute..

Those who have kept up with this and saw the last couple posts know what I've been dealing with. Well that situation has now escalated into my buddy getting a divorce. I've been dealing with the same shit too...'yea man just holla at me one evening after work and we can get over there and knock it out' only to not get a response or just get put off til another day. I talked to him on Monday and explained that I'm fixing to go to work out of town for a little while and wanted to get some ****ing progress made on my car, so we agree on working on it Friday and Saturday (today). So when I text my buddy yesterday to see if we're still down to work on it I get no response....when I finally get a response it's to tell me that he is out of town for the weekend but the key to the shop is at his house if I need to get in. I thought about things for about 5 minutes and called a buddy up to ride down there with me.

Last night we loaded up my stock engine and brought it back home and discussed the situation along the way. Over the last 24 hours I also discussed it with a few other friends and my dad and made the decision to go get my car and all of the parts etc that I have at my buddy's shop and bring home to my house. Enough is enough and I'm tired of someone else hindering my progress. Tonight I went and loaded up all of the parts I had and brought them home to my shop. I'll be working out of town this whole week but I plan on getting the car as soon as I get back home. I will have to move my old F-150 out of the shop and into the side shed to be able to get the car into my shop but atleast I'll have the peace of mind of having my car back at home and not having to drive 30 minutes to go work on it if I'm lucky enough to have access to the shop. This also means that I'm going to learn how to do body work and possibly even prime and paint the engine bay myself. Looking back now I'm kind of wishing I had made this move two months ago but oh well. So hopefully soon the car will atleast be back at my house and I'll be able to start making some progress on it my own self.

#OperationRelocation has begun

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hate to hear all this for you and for what your friend is going through.

But with that being said, I'm glad to see you are getting everything out and away from that.

Good luck dude.

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Be better to have er closer to you anyhow. that way any spare time you get you can just walk out side rather than drive across town or wherever you had too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Hate to hear all this for you and for what your friend is going through.

But with that being said, I'm glad to see you are getting everything out and away from that.

Good luck dude.

Thanks man, I kinda needed this push anyway. Always wanted to learn how to do paint and bodywork type stuff and now I'm going to. Good thing is I still have several other friends that do it for a living so surely I can line one out to come help me here and there.

Good luck, glad you're getting the car back!

Thanks bud and believe me I am too

Be better to have er closer to you anyhow. that way any spare time you get you can just walk out side rather than drive across town or wherever you had too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Exactly right there also. If I wanna go out and work on it for ten minutes or stay up til 4 am I don't have to worry about anything since it's right in my back yard.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Brought the new engine home Thursday night, then Friday as soon as I left work me and a friend went after the car. Got it loaded up along with the last few things I had left and rolled out. It took a lot of work rolling it around my backyard with no way to steer it except turning the wheels but we were finally able to get it in the shop. I don't even think I did very much with it on Friday night. Yesterday after work I came home and got busy. I pulled all of the interior pieces out of the inside so it can be cleaned...the inside of the car is covered in mildew from sitting up in that shop for so long. After that I put it up on jackstands and removed the struts, CC plates, swaybar and bumper crash bar. Then moved to the back and pulled the driveshaft, exhaust and transmission. At this point I think I'm done removing things from the car lol.

I got started doing more grinding and sanding up front...had a few welds left that needed some attention, and then took a DA to some of the areas that haven't been sanded yet. Hopefully pretty soon I'll be able to start working some filler on the engine panels and getting them looking smooth. I have another friend that I have no doubt will actually come over to help me on that part and give some advice...he works for a bodyshop and was here helping me move my old truck out of the shop as well as getting the car into the shop. So hopefully things are gonna start moving along at a lot faster pace than they have been. I know this, it feels so much better just having my car here in my backyard vs. having to drive to a friend's house to do anything with it.

On to some pictures though..

Loaded up.

0aec7ef9a6c6780ff313d6db4a46cce4.jpg

My dog was like 'hey I know that car'

30084c94dfd71259417c0eedb10324ed.jpg

Getting it jacked up.

75ead839e746328ae5d35a02bef97a9e.jpg

68a1017eb420714efd1ece8d202e6e56.jpg

Dropping the struts.

4dece637e749c7cb51cab230c5534b99.jpg

3dd60b638f3c962a9149b6129fe1e936.jpg

717300012b67fe3aedd87c4b34417313.jpg

Gonna have to buy some new bearing plates for the coilovers and reassess my suspension setup, something wasn't jiving under there.

69c7698e6d64d9ee74bdd054cf4bbd6b.jpg

Everything out.

13d57a067276ce10af716c9a4e66ec6f.jpg

Here's how she sits now.

27bec60f27008cadcf3cb144a2385632.jpg

660bd12b8579d34be1876f5f4577b924.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican