Low and Slow 97 GT Build Thread

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I figured it’s time for me to start a progress thread on here. I have had the car for a little over a year now, and it has made little improvements along the way, but nothing really big or anything. My dad bought the car from the original owner about 3 years ago. He had it for about a year and drove it maybe 5 times. Then, he sold it to a buddy of ours. And about a year ago he decided to sell it, so I picked it up! The car has 129,000 miles,but honestly looks like it’s a 30,000 mile car IMO. I have only driven it about 400 miles over the entire year that I’ve had it, but that’s going to change this summer. I am only 16 years old, so I have all of the time in the world to build the car. It’s not my DD either, so it isn’t really a priority to have it running all of the time. Anyways, here’s what it looked like when I picked it up after a pretty extensive paint detail and a light interior cleaning.

coupe004.jpg

coupe005.jpg

coupe010.jpg

Then I swapped out the wheels for a set of 03 Cobras that I had laying around as spares for my Notchback.

coupe056.jpg

coupe051.jpg

It sat in the garage like this for a pretty good while. ThenI got back interested in the car, so I bought some Eibach Sportlines and a few othermisc. items for the car. I also really got it detailed up nicely. Detailing ismy main hobby.
DSCN2697.jpg

DSCN2707.jpg

DSCN2713.jpg

DSCN2685.jpg

Then came a set of FR500’s, a UPR X pipe, and a MAC catback.
Pictured here with my Coupe and my buddies hatch at my garage.
DSCN3113.jpg

DSCN3223.jpg

DSCN3233.jpg

DSCN3241.jpg

Then, I put some
Weld RT-S wheels on it. This is how it sits right now.
DSCN3477.jpg

DSCN3481.jpg

DSCN3490.jpg

DSCN3499.jpg

Tomorrow the exhaust is going back on the car. It’s been offfor a few months, and I’m wanting to redo it to make the exhaust right on thecar. Look for updates tomorrow. I have big plans for the car, so stay tuned.

Slykin

Reaction score
Wowzers... that is one clean car. I personally would have kept the original split spokes on there, but beautiful car nonetheless.

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Wowzers... that is one clean car. I personally would have kept the original split spokes on there, but beautiful car nonetheless.
Thanks. The stock wheels are just that... stock wheels. I want the car to be a little bit different from all of the other GT's out there. I still have them though for when I feel like putting them back on.

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Well I got the X pipe on today. It fit great this time around. No leaks!!! I took it for a drive and i've never heard a GT this loud before. It was terrible. The original catback had some glass packs welded into it a long time ago, so I was basically running open headers. A Flowmaster catback is on the way and should be put on by the end of the week. Here's some pics of the car in my dad's shop. It's great to have access to a lift!

IMG_5832.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_6779.jpg

IMG_5755.jpg

IMG_7500.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_9702.jpg

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your dad has an awesome shop! Make sure to make an exhaust video when you get your flowmaster catback.

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I guess it's time to update this thread. Bought some Tokico Blues.
IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_7110.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

Got my sway bar bushings, end links, and struts installed. It was a pain in the butt to do because the passenger side top strut bolt decided not to come off... So I had to take the caster camber plate off with the strut and then go get a cutoff wheel, and cut the strut in half.
BUT I got them done! No pics of the rear though..
IMG_4060.jpg

IMG_8528.jpg

IMG_5533.jpg

Hopefully soon there will be something shiny under the hood. ;)
IMG_4292.jpg

Then I got some 275/60/15 Nitto Drag Radials, and installed my MGW shifter, as well as a bunch of other small things that I didn't take pics of.

IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_6054.jpg

IMG_8386.jpg

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Messed around with the car all day today. First, I drove the car a little bit. I've never really dogged the car or ran it WOT until today. I wanted to get a good feel for the car before and after the PI parts and bolt ons get put on the car to see if they really make a noticable difference. I must say, it was very responsive compared to all of the other NPI cars i've ridden in. I'm very pleased with the car for what it is.

I have a PI intake, install kit, Trickflow plenum and 75mm TB, and PI cams on the way.

I pulled into someone's driveway along the way to check under the car (roadkill in the middle of the road and a car coming the other way at the same time). I got lucky and there was nothing stuck under the car, and no blood/hair/guts. Thank God I cleared the roadkill. Anyways, I took 2 pics while I was parked lol

IMG_3610.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

Then I did the "foglight mod" that lets my foglights work independently from the headlights/corner lights. I like the running lights on the 99-04 cars, so I wanted to make mine work the same way.

IMG_7085.jpg

Then I got a delivery. My new corner lights. My old ones were leaking, were cracked in places, and were missing rubber trim. The headlights aren't my favorites, but they will do. I'm planning on painting the inside of the housing black soon.

IMG_8823.jpg

IMG_7896.jpg

I also wetsanded and polished the headlights.

Before shot

IMG_4694.jpg

After shot

IMG_5707.jpg

Then I took my spoiler off. I wetsanded the ring that the spoiler had left on the trunk and it turned out pretty good. Good enough to leave the spoiler off. I love the way it looks without the wing, but I hate having plugs in the holes. So I will probably buy an S281 wing for it soon.

Before

IMG_9897.jpg

After

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_6426.jpg

IMG_5815.jpg

cobra head

Reaction score
dang brother im glad to see you working on the old stang agian u still got the coupe right

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
dang brother im glad to see you working on the old stang agian u still got the coupe right
No I sold it last month. It feels great to only have one project car. I can now concentrate completely on this car. It's a much nicer car to start with.

cobra head

Reaction score
i know what u mean on the brother im glad u didnt sell the 97 and god that thing looks sick

cobra head

Reaction score
i know it is i wish mine would be ready for mustang week but looks like it want be im hoping my hood will be in next week then we will be adding the heads and everything else on her then off to paint but ill be riding in my buddies 94

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
i know it is i wish mine would be ready for mustang week but looks like it want be im hoping my hood will be in next week then we will be adding the heads and everything else on her then off to paint but ill be riding in my buddies 94
Dang. Well at least you're getting to go to MW. Wish I was going to Mustang Week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STANGFLOYD

Members online