Madd Motorsports 1975 S30 Datsun 280z. Infusion Build

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a suspicion this will not be fast enough. "Jeeves, I shall binge watch/read this thread now. Thank you."

Edit: honestly, I wish we had more stuff like this on our forum. I understand it's a SN95 forum, and that can be the focus. But there are so many cool cars out there. And I don't want to have to visit 15 different forums. Because I'm lazy.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I have a suspicion this will not be fast enough. "Jeeves, I shall binge watch/read this thread now. Thank you."

Edit: honestly, I wish we had more stuff like this on our forum. I understand it's a SN95 forum, and that can be the focus. But there are so many cool cars out there. And I don't want to have to visit 15 different forums. Because I'm lazy.

I agree with you. Kinda want to bring over the build i have for my 72. This forum is a lot more active and open minded then most others i am a part of. Mainly because the age group is all over the place haha.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Dudeeee thats so dope. Love those Datsuns. I say bring over the 72 build! We need more liveliness on this site. SN95s are cool and all, but different car builds would be legit.

Lanter

Reaction score
Ahh I love me some s30's. I've had a couple over the years. Most recent was a 77 280z with an 83 zx turbo drivetrain and megasquirt ecu, such a fun car. I'm looking forward to following this one!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Love it!

I had one back in the 80's for a short time and when it was running it was great.... when it was running. :)

I switched to RX7's after the 280.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Dudeeee thats so dope. Love those Datsuns. I say bring over the 72 build! We need more liveliness on this site. SN95s are cool and all, but different car builds would be legit.
Then ill bring it over!haha we have too many projects going on. Itll be awesome!

sent from the toilet or from my cubicle

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
280s are cool but I really loved the 300.
Those are nice! Steering angle on those are insane! Seen on at the track. Very nice

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ahh I love me some s30's. I've had a couple over the years. Most recent was a 77 280z with an 83 zx turbo drivetrain and megasquirt ecu, such a fun car. I'm looking forward to following this one!
We have yet to decide on motor and drivetrain. But we are hoping for a higher hp motor that revs!

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Love it!

I had one back in the 80's for a short time and when it was running it was great.... when it was running. :)

I switched to RX7's after the 280.
Hahaha...this isnt running:(....

lutter94

Reaction score
Interesting. Gotta look into Megasquirt. Any idea what he is using for the AFM?

Air-Fuel Ratio? Had an Innovate SCG-1. Has a boost control solenoid built in, and feeds the AFR to the ECM. Sorry if I missed base with your AFM acronym. lol.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
AFM = Air/Fuel Meter.

MegaSquirt is pretty good about this - it supports a number of popular brands directly out of the box (such as Innovate and Zeitronix). And if you happen to have a brand that is not in the drop down select for MS, you can tell MS how to interpret the signal - you tell MS what the richest value is and the leanest value (as advertised by your wideband) and it will process the signal. So you could use pretty much any wideband you wanted. Though if you stick with a popular brand you just have to select it in a drop down and you are done :)

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Air-Fuel Ratio? Had an Innovate SCG-1. Has a boost control solenoid built in, and feeds the AFR to the ECM. Sorry if I missed base with your AFM acronym. lol.

Haha you're close, but like mcglsr2 said, its the airflow meter. But we will need that sensor you mentioned, it'll help with tuning

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
AFM = Air/Fuel Meter.

MegaSquirt is pretty good about this - it supports a number of popular brands directly out of the box (such as Innovate and Zeitronix). And if you happen to have a brand that is not in the drop down select for MS, you can tell MS how to interpret the signal - you tell MS what the richest value is and the leanest value (as advertised by your wideband) and it will process the signal. So you could use pretty much any wideband you wanted. Though if you stick with a popular brand you just have to select it in a drop down and you are done :)

YES!! so its rather similar to BE, but MS sounds a lot simplier. I am going to have to do some research into the air fuel meter because these things go out often and not easy to find because you need a specific one based off of production date. I wonder if i can program an mustang MAF into it....hmmmmm...

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
YES!! so its rather similar to BE, but MS sounds a lot simplier. I am going to have to do some research into the air fuel meter because these things go out often and not easy to find because you need a specific one based off of production date. I wonder if i can program an mustang MAF into it....hmmmmm...

Uh oh, I think I effed you up. By AFM, you are referring to the means by which air coming into the engine is measured? In other words, a variation on a MAF? If so, that is not what I was talking about, totally my bad. I was referring to a wideband specifically. I have seen them referred to as AFM's before. I was *not* talking about the sensor that measures incoming air to the engine. What I said previously still stands for widebands and the way MS works.

Now, talking about AFM/MAF style metering, you *can* program MS to work with them. But it can be tricky. MS can work with Ford style MAFs. However, you should consider SD (Speed Density) if you go MS. For example, when using the MSPNP Gen2 on the Mustang, which is a plug-and-play solution, one is supposed to ditch the MAF and use SD. So unless you are married to the idea of running a AFM, I would just go speed density and be done with it. You won't run into issues with SD unless you are running a huge cam and have no vacuum at idle. In which case, you could use Alpha-N for lower RPM's, then table switch to SD for higher RPMs.

I have "used" BE in the past - by used I mean I had a QH, I purchased BE and the Analyzer apps, I had things hooked up and went through tables and stuff, did tons of research and reading, even bought a tuning manual. I have not yet installed MS but have done my research - to me, and it's just my opinion, MS is *way* easier to tune with. BE has a super steep learning curve because you have to learn all the weird terms that the factory PCM uses. Once you learn it, then things get easier. And the benefit is you can leverage all the work and research the factory did. With MS, there is still a learning curve obviously, but things are more intuitive. The downside is you are starting from "scratch." And lastly, the biggest deciding factor for me, is the support for MS is way better than BE. Good luck getting BE to run on a Windows 10 machine right now. MS is actively being improved. Is BE? I'm not saying anything is wrong with BE, so please don't anyone jump down my throat. BE is fine, and there are some very skilled people with it that can do some amazing things with it. All I'm saying is that for someone just getting started with this stuff, I believe MS will be easier to pick up, learn, and become effective with in a shorter amount of time than BE.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online