McCloud's 5.3L Turbo 2v build

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
Block is back from the machine shop now. No issues there with it. However, looks like I'll need a new crankshaft. The portion that was scored by the thrust bearing had to be polished down pretty significantly to even it out. We can't find an oversized thrust bearing anywhere.

I've got the head gaskets and SS piston rings already. Just need to get the crank, main and rod bearings and should be ready for reassembly.

The track around me has been open for a couple weeks so I'm getting anxious to get the car back to make a few passes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Eagle forged stroker crank

haha I figured it was Eagle or Cobra. Manley came out with their new forged 4.6 cranks and they are $1,100 :shocked:

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
haha I figured it was Eagle or Cobra. Manley came out with their new forged 4.6 cranks and they are $1,100 :shocked:
I've been shopping around and the crank looks to be around $950. What worries me is on Cushman's website it states that crank uses rods with Honda sized journals. I've got to make sure my rods will fit that crank. I think it should as I ordered the rotating assembly from Cushman in '09.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I've been shopping around and the crank looks to be around $950. What worries me is on Cushman's website it states that crank uses rods with Honda sized journals. I've got to make sure my rods will fit that crank. I think it should as I ordered the rotating assembly from Cushman in '09.

Man if that's the case why not find an 8 bolt cobra crank for $400-$450 and call it a day

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Man if that's the case why not find an 8 bolt cobra crank for $400-$450 and call it a day

For real. You may as well get the cobra crank and have it shot peened, deburred, turned and cryo-treated. Mine from MPH (11 years ago) was only $1300 and that crank was good for 2000rwhp.

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
If my stroker crank had the smaller rod journals, then would my rods not fit a Cobra crank?

That and using stock stroke crank would also lower my static and dynamic compression ratio if I'm not mistaken. My last combo was a 9.0:1 static CR so I don't want any lower than that.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
If it uses Honda rod journals, then the rod bearing surfaces are probably narrower, different chamfer and oil clearances so your stock style crank rods probably wont work.

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
If it uses Honda rod journals, then the rod bearing surfaces are probably narrower, different chamfer and oil clearances so your stock style crank rods probably wont work.
Yeah I figured it out last night after talking to my engine builder. My stroker crank and rods were bought from Cushman back in 2009. My rod journals measured at 1.98" and used a small block Chevy style rod and rod bearing. That crankshaft has been discontinued.

I've found a stroker crank at Mod Max that advertises it has a 2.000" rod journal so that one may work.

If it doesn't, I will most likely have to go with the other stroker crank and rod combo.

It's looking like I wasn't as lucky as I thought I was.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Yeah I figured it out last night after talking to my engine builder. My stroker crank and rods were bought from Cushman back in 2009. My rod journals measured at 1.98" and used a small block Chevy style rod and rod bearing. That crankshaft has been discontinued.

I've found a stroker crank at Mod Max that advertises it has a 2.000" rod journal so that one may work.

If it doesn't, I will most likely have to go with the other stroker crank and rod combo.

It's looking like I wasn't as lucky as I thought I was.

Oh man that sucks!

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
New crankshaft has arrived. I'll be taking it up the end of this week to be dropped off at the machine shop for balancing. I will probably order main and rod bearings this weekend. Just have to cross-reference the Clevite part number to King as I'm going with their brand this time around.

c864b920f4f54e305d529dad43100111.jpg

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
Awesome build , read this in class for the past 2 days haha.

Pretty frustrating build huh?

Found out some more bad news this week. Nothing that is major or a momentum breaker, but the King main bearings that I was looking at getting are backordered from King until the end of August. So I will going back with the Clevite bearings. Nickel's Performance has the coated rod bearings in stock and I'm picking them up tomorrow. I just placed an order for the coated main bearings through Cushman's tonight. Hope to have those by next week and the shortblock can be reassembled soon after.

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
Some smallblock Chevy rod bearings courtesy of Nickels Performance. Summit lists these for $24/ea and I bought them for $15.97/ea plus tax.
1d5469d357a7550928d0ea103902610f.jpg

Stock982v

Reaction score
No i actually really like this build , it was a good way for me to blow some time in Spanish. Cant wait to see it back together.

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
Frustrating update: my engine is still not ready to be assembled. Had to wait 4 weeks for my main bearings to arrive from Clevite/Calico only to find that they are .001" too tight. Ordered larger mains from Jordan at MHS about 5 weeks ago. Hadn't gotten any tracking info yet so I called him Monday to ask where they were. He calls Clevite to find out and they tell him they've discontinued the Romeo block bearings. So no Clevite bearings for this guy.

So we try to order King mains but they wont ship from Israel until December. So no King bearings either.

Thr only other manufacturer Jordan knew of was ACL, but they rarely have in stock availability. Luckily they had the ones I need so they should ship out this week.

While that is being sorted out, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on upgrading my shifter and gauge setup. I'm going with a Hurst quarterstick shifter and MidSouth relocation plate setup (like 97stanger).

8637595e41d7fd1fcf89235338dab665.jpg

And since I already have Cobalt gauges in the car for boost, water and tranny temp...I've ordered an Autometer dash cluster with Cobalt gauge setup.

c6c40d5dc1ec84136c06f36bb35c62dc.jpg

So at least we'll be making some progress on the car while waiting for parts for the engine.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Alright! Thats awesome, I love the b&m shifter I have (its the same one 97stanger has). He really started something when he showed us that setup.

Keep us updated and make sure to take a bunch of pictures.

Sorry to hear about the bearing issue though.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
man that really sucks about the motor. Hopefully you get the bearings in soon and can get that beast back together. Nothing more frustrating than waiting on parts. Would have been nice if you were told up front about the backorder on the mains initially, would have saved you a month. The center console shifter location is going to look killer for sure along with the gauges. Good stuff!

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
man that really sucks about the motor. Hopefully you get the bearings in soon and can get that beast back together. Nothing more frustrating than waiting on parts. Would have been nice if you were told up front about the backorder on the mains initially, would have saved you a month. The center console shifter location is going to look killer for sure along with the gauges. Good stuff!
Well considering both times I waited over 4 weeks for both sets of bearings, it's been 2 months now. I could've had the shifter and gauges installed by now. I think the car will be back together just in time to put her up for winter. Or at least that's how my luck goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STANGFLOYD

Members online

No members online now.