McCloud's 5.3L Turbo 2v build

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Well considering both times I waited over 4 weeks for both sets of bearings, it's been 2 months now. I could've had the shifter and gauges installed by now. I think the car will be back together just in time to put her up for winter. Or at least that's how my luck goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Man I know the feeling. I've had my motor sitting on my engine stand for over a year now and just realized the machine shop put the pistons in backwards. So now the entire motor is being ripped apart after it's been sitting in my garage a year ready to go in. Not sure who's car will be up and running by 2019 at this point lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
My new set of main bearings arrived Friday afternoon. Had to call Jordan at MHS earlier in the week to find out where they were. Took the new bearings to the shop today and was surprised to find that work on the gauge cluster had already begun. I'm excited to see the finished product.

On a side note, the oil clearances will be checked with the new bearings tomorrow. If all is ok, reassembly will start.
8bfb6bba23526940c2bd47aca8ad0b9b.jpg

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Whole lotta sexy goin on in that gauge cluster!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Those cobalt gauges look pretty good! Can you get a picture of the back of them, Im curious how they wire up and if they are similar to my sport comps.

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
Well come to find out ACL shipped the wrong bearings. I've got to call Jordan on Monday and ship them back to get a refund.

The problem is everyone keeps telling me my Boss block takes Windsor bearings because that's what the newer ones take. My block was made in 2009... which from what I've read is when Roush Yates machined the blocks. Now someone else machines them.

So I'm on the hunt for .001 extra clearance Romeo bearings. Which ModMax has told me they have some King brand in stock.

Grant from MidSouth shipped out my shifter plate kit yesterday and should arrive Monday. Stay tuned for pics.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that sucks they sent the wrong parts and you now just have to wait till monday to start the return process. I am just waiting on my mufflers to ship as the last piece of my puzzle but it doesn't look like this weekend they will be here.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
My god....I think you have more patience than 99.9% of us in here with this luck. Power to ya!

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
My god....I think you have more patience than 99.9% of us in here with this luck. Power to ya!
It definitely hasn't been easy...that's for sure. Grant from MidSouth sure does a bang up job on these shifter plates. It's going to look sick when it's all together.
0c2b02cef2f7520f5f4bd93b12af2c0d.jpg

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Nice, he is the man. What gauge are you planning in the stock location block off plate?

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
Those cobalt gauges look pretty good! Can you get a picture of the back of them, Im curious how they wire up and if they are similar to my sport comps.
This is the only pic I got of the back. Hope this helps.
ade0a56ba6e39d9ab6b1a22b6c24d323.jpg

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
Update:

I got a text from the engine builder Thursday saying he was ready for me to drop off the front timing cover, etc. I had no idea he had gotten the new main bearings in yet. He says the car should be back running again by the end of this week.

I did ask him about getting a better balancer to prevent future OPG problems and he agreed. So I placed an order for a STD diameter 6 rib balancer from Innovators West.
57bea1192536e9268c2b3c813a567a1a.jpg

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
Progress is being made. Timing cover and new balancer look sharp. Shouldn't be too much longer. May get to break her in before winter comes.

a59a50f68082968f62902833d182fa28.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
What exactly do you need to break in?

Glad to see you going back together though, everything is looking awesome!

OP
OP
McCloud

McCloud

Reaction score
What exactly do you need to break in?

Glad to see you going back together though, everything is looking awesome!
I guess just the new crank, main and rod bearings and piston rings. Everything else is well broken in from the previous build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STANGFLOYD

Members online

No members online now.