Minitubbed 87 LX Build Thread

Racsirx

Reaction score
Are you going to run this at the track or just street use also why do you want to use an on3 kit on something so nice?

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Are you going to run this at the track or just street use also why do you want to use an on3 kit on something so nice?
It's going to be a street car. And I'm on a serious budget with this car so a nice turbo kit is out of the question. Budget limit for the whole car is $10,000

Racsirx

Reaction score
It's going to be a street car. And I'm on a serious budget with this car so a nice turbo kit is out of the question. Budget limit for the whole car is $10,000

Such a nice car, I would spend a little more on a better kit or make a kit or maybe just use the coldside from the on3 kit and upgrade the hotside and turbo.

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Such a nice car, I would spend a little more on a better kit or make a kit or maybe just use the coldside from the on3 kit and upgrade the hotside and turbo.
Nah the car isn't worth all of that hassle, it's just a foxbody that's gonna have a truck motor in it

Racsirx

Reaction score
Nah the car isn't worth all of that hassle, it's just a foxbody that's gonna have a truck motor in it

Lol, I would love to take that foxbody off your hands, if you don't like it, I have a few customers with Chevy motors in Mustangs and they live them, one stock 5.3 with a 150 shot running low tens and a LQ9 with a 76mm turbo running low 9s, I like anything that's fast as long as it stays together.

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
The car could definitely be bought for the right price. I have no interest in the car right now so it's just going to sit for a while, at least until after Mustang Week.

Racsirx

Reaction score
The car could definitely be bought for the right price. I have no interest in the car right now so it's just going to sit for a while, at least until after Mustang Week.

Let me know on a price, but I don't need the Chevy motor, I have a spare R-block I could put in there

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't looking to buy anything else for the car until after Mustang Week but... For $100, I got this. 5.3 truck motor with 80k miles.

I probably won't even touch this motor until the winter, but for the price I couldn't let it slip away. I don't have the funds to build the car right now, but hopefully after I sell about $4000 worth of parts I have laying around, I can get started on it again.

Wichers123

Reaction score
Hey go look at cx racing they have some fox kits that are a damn good price and look hell of a lot better.

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I had a few minutes today, so I started tearing into the motor. Holy crap. It appears the oil has never been changed in this thing. Good thing I was going to take it apart and replace a few things anyways. I'm going to pull the heads in the morning and take some stuff with me to work to clean in the parts washer so I can actually see what I'm working with.

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Well I pulled the heads off the motor this morning. Surprisingly the block itself looks to be in really good shape. You can still see the hash marks in the cylinder walls.

The only strange thing I found. One pushrod was kinda ground down on one end. I'm guessing it had the infamous lifter tick that a lot of these engines have. Everything else looked great.

A few cleaned up bolts and pushrods

Then I took the heads, valve covers, and rockers to work and started cleaning on them every chance I got.

Here's one head that I started on

And finished valve covers and rockers. They cleaned up great and all look to be salvageable.

Then I pulled off the valley cover. Yeah there's a lot of sludge in there too. I'll probably strip the block this weekend and take the block to a machine shop to get it hot tanked and checked out.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Damn that motor looked to be neglected .the cylinder walls look good though like you said . For that deal you can't go wrong .

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Today I got the front and rear trim painted and put on.

And I put the headlights in, and threw the front clip on for a quick mockup to see how it would look

I also started carpeting the minitubs

Then I tore into the motor some more.

The oil filter.. it was filled to the top with sludge.

And a quick mockup of the TF wheels... Yeah I think I'm going to HAVE to run these.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online