MM vs Agent 47

94Pro-5.0

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
Most of the systems listed in this thread are way overkill for the street. The honest truth is that a good springs/shocks/swaybars combo will be just about 80% as good as all the other stuff listed here. If you are doing this on the budget, that's the route I would definitely go. McPherson’s strut is not the end of the world, when you remove deflection, and have it properly aligned. 4-link is not as unpredictable as people say it is. I was pretty happy with my car’s performance on a very fast track which required a lot of grip, and the only reason why I could not push faster than 122mph out of turn 8 on the Willow Springs, was because I did not have any more power to do it. The car was perfectly stable, and did not screech the tires at any point. When it all comes down to handling, 2/3rd of your grip is tires anyway, so don’t forget to run good rubber.

whats all done to your ssuspension?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Koni SA, H&R Race, MM Caster Camber plates, MM full lengths, stock sway bars. By road-race mustang standards, the mods are very minimal, but I've picked them very carefully, so they work well both on the track and on the street. I also have MM front coil-over kit that’s going on the car either this or next weekend.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
Koni SA, H&R Race, MM Caster Camber plates, MM full lengths, stock sway bars. By road-race mustang standards, the mods are very minimal, but I've picked them very carefully, so they work well both on the track and on the street. I also have MM front coil-over kit that’s going on the car either this or next weekend.

on your koni's?
what spring rate are they?

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
96sohc -

After reading your post I went back and reread my original post. Doing so I realized that I did not clearly state my intentions. I am after information on Agent 47 as a company and not just their product. So far I have not come across costumer feedback or how well they back their product. I have only read info about their race car. Before I consider putting someone's expensive product on my car I want to know that I am dealing with a reputable company.

My response to the direction this thread has gone -

Thanks for all the feedback.

I realize that the systems I am considering are overkill for a street car. However, I am in a situation where I can upgrade my suspension with minimal personal cost. I want to take full advantage of my situation and get the best, or as close to it as I can. If the items which we are talking about here offer me increased handling and increased comfort, then I'm sold. Currently my goal for the car is something that can be tossed around, stand up to street hazards (speed bumps, steep driveways and rough roads) and still be comfortable. I do not know what the future of the car will be but if I ever do decide to take it to the track, then the suspension would one less thing I have to worry about.

As I mentioned earlier I sent an inquiring email to Agent 47 but have yet to hear back from them. I have not taken the time to call either. After finding out about EvM I sent an email to them which they have already responded to.

I looked on the EvM website and was impressed by what I saw (I'm easily impressed). Cost wise though combining their rear suspension (Watt's/TriLink/LCAs) with the MM K-member is close to cost of the MM Maximum Grip Box. The math is messy though because the MM MGB includes sub frames, steering shaft and strut tower brace. I'm sold on the MM stuff but depending on how EvM responds and what you guys bring up I may be swayed. Thanks again.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
on your koni's?
what spring rate are they?

The hypercoils are rated at 275 pounds, which is about as much as stock valved SA can handle anyway. When you crunch the numbers, you end up with wheel rate that would equal almost 1000 pound spring in stock location

96sohc

Reaction score
fixthedoor said:
I realize that the systems I am considering are overkill for a street car. However, I am in a situation where I can upgrade my suspension with minimal personal cost. I want to take full advantage of my situation and get the best, or as close to it as I can. If the items which we are talking about here offer me increased handling and increased comfort, then I'm sold. Currently my goal for the car is something that can be tossed around, stand up to street hazards (speed bumps, steep driveways and rough roads) and still be comfortable. I do not know what the future of the car will be but if I ever do decide to take it to the track, then the suspension would one less thing I have to worry about.

As I mentioned earlier I sent an inquiring email to Agent 47 but have yet to hear back from them. I have not taken the time to call either. After finding out about EvM I sent an email to them which they have already responded to.

I looked on the EvM website and was impressed by what I saw (I'm easily impressed). Cost wise though combining their rear suspension (Watt's/TriLink/LCAs) with the MM K-member is close to cost of the MM Maximum Grip Box. The math is messy though because the MM MGB includes sub frames, steering shaft and strut tower brace. I'm sold on the MM stuff but depending on how EvM responds and what you guys bring up I may be swayed. Thanks again.

IMO, and you may not like this...
You can't have comfort and great handling; you must sacrifice one to gain the other.
If this isn't a dedicated track car, I would simply install some QUALITY shocks (Bilstein or Koni) with matching springs (H&R) and call it a day.

I run H&R Sports with KYB AGXs and I love it! However, damn near every person that rides with me complains about the harshness; it doesn't bother me because I didn't intend for it to ride nice and cushy.
Get some experience under your belt and go from there. My car is having a 4pt. roll-bar made this week, and my next purchases will bea pair of Recaro Pole Positions and 6pt. harnesses. With what I'm spending for safety parts I could easily have a Griggs Koni coil-over setup....but I value safety.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Its either ride quality or handling... cant have both.

I would rather have a Back Breaking ride with AMAZING handling then a good ride quality.

Handling>Ride Quality

....My current set-up is so harsh that when you hit a small bump EVERYTHING in the car goes flying around :hammer:

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
96sohc -

If I was concerned about not liking what people had to say then I would be writing in a diary.

Don't get me wrong I understand that there is a trade off. At the same time I know that my car is not the shiite when it comes to offering a compromise between handling and comfort, it can be improved upon. With whatever I do I expect the comfort level to decrease as well as the compromise.

I whole heartedly agree with you on the experience issue and typically that is how I would approach something. Right now however the reasoning for this reckless decision is predicated on time and money. With respect to both I don't believe there will be a better time in the near future.

Aside from the experience issue and being satisfied with only a shock/strut upgrade, given my situation why should I not purchase something like the MM kit?

96sohc

Reaction score
Ultimately the decision is yours, obviously.
This is how I'm approaching this with my car. Ideally I would have started out with a stock car, but I didn't. My goal is to learn how to control the car at its worst (in stock form) so that when I do have the money to throw parts at it to make it handle better, I can magnify those changes and be quite a bit faster around a track.
Starting out in an overly-prepared or over-powered car can eventually hide bad habits and make them harder to correct.
If you feel the time is right, then go for it; only you know what is best for you. I don't have any first-hand experience with being able to drop the coin for a complete kit, but I'm sure if I had the money ready to go I would have an itchy trigger finger.

It sounds like you've got the right idea and a good head on your shoulders, you should be alright. You will be amazed at how well the car will handle with all of the additional parts; I know I was the first time I took a ride in a GR40 car. I was amazed that the car did what it did, and its an amazing feeling to be making turns and holding speeds through corners that I never thought possible, and doing that without breaking a sweat.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
fixthedoor -

Very true what 96sohc said about seat time. That along is the best improvement one can possibly do. When I started tracking my mustang I did several trackdays before I started playing with stuff like springs shocks, and whatever. It's always better to learn how to control the car when it's slow, so you have more room for margin, and if you end up going off track, you do so at slow speeds. I'm doing Streets of Willow event with SpeedTrial in the end of May. You should come. You are going to learn so much about your car, it's not gonna be funny. If you sign up for beginner group, which I highly recommend, you will get all the instructor attention you need, and also you will be put through a series of on track exersizes, which will help you learn track etiquette and correct race lines.

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
The ride in the GR40 car sounds awesome. From what I read it sounds like that would be life changing experience.

I have spent the past 10 years learning how to drive the car in stock form, save for a cobra rear sway bar halfway through. Off the street, my experience was only racing around the high school parking lot at night. You're right though, completely redoing the suspension without any gradual build up is going to lead to some bad habits. I've already decided that I'll have to attend a driving school eventually, regardless of what I do with the car.

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
ReplicaR -

Can you provide some more details on the Speed Trials? I am very interested. I hope I will be able to bring my car. It has a very small oil leak, would this be an issue?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Here's a link to all the info you can possibly need.

www.speedtrialusa.com

The leak has to be fixed. There is a inspection check list that every car has to go through, before they allow you to participate in the event. Make sure to look over the Q and A section. I almost got disqualified on my first track day, because I was missing a 4 dollar battery strap. The price of the admission is the lowest I've seen, and I've been tracking with SpeedTrial for about a year now. They are a good group of guys, and the exersizes will help you a lot. I'm signed up for saturday, I might be there on sunday too. Hope to see you there. Hit me up over PM if you have any questions.

STR33TR

Reaction score
It seems that you and I have the same end goal: a very capable street car.
My dream system would have the agent47 or Griggs SLA front and a built IRS out back. If you put the right springs on your coilovers you can have a bit of cake and eat some too. Yes -ultimately- you have to choose b/t performance/comfort, but when you start w/ these advanced suspension designs you're able to choose your favorite balance of greater ride and greater handling (as opposed to balancing mediocre ride/mediocre handling). These are the designs that high-end cars have, and even when they're tuned for performance they're still reasonably comfortable.
A Z06 has a decent ride for its insane level of handling -that's because of the advanced suspension design. To try for the same level of handling w/ the McPherson strut/stick axle combo would leave you w/ a car so uncomfortable you couldn't stand it anywhere but on the track.
To me, putting these (coilover, SLA and IRS) components into a mustang isn't a waste if you LOVE your street mustang but want to be able to keep up with the big boys thru the twisties.

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
STR33TR

Yes you and I do see eye to eye.
I too look towards cars like the Corvette (not even Z06) and think to myself what can I do to the Mustang to accomplish the same thing? The Vette offers exceptional handling, ride and engine efficiency (from a pushrod motor no less). I however, do not have the means necessary to custom build everything to achieve this goal so I have to rely on aftermarket businesses. Fortunately because of the Mustang's popularity a great business opportunity exists for the continual development of newer and better products.

Over the past week I have been in contact with Mike from EvM discussing their company and the products they offer. When they designed their Watt's link they had street tuners in mind and not racers. Which is where I see myself.

If this post is a little random it's because I'm drinking.

Late.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online