MY 2001 Laser Red Cobra Convertible. Engine Rebuild #2 DONE!

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Well, its been quite some time since i posted on here as an owner of a RUNNING and driving Mustang. Some may know the whole deal i had with this incredible 2001 Cobra i found and ended up trading a GT straight up for.

Old thread -->http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?69779-My-01-Cobra-Shes-home-now

Long story short... i gave a running 02 GT up for a rod knocking 01 Cobra with 60K orig. miles. I WAS SOLD! Swapped bottom ends with a WAP donor i had laying around and that bottom end started knocking halfway down its FIRST 1/4 mile PASS!!! THEN SHE SAT....and sat.....and sat some more. All while i accumulated new parts for the FACTORY TEKSID BLOCK! This was to be a fully forged build, and i wasn't going to cut corners. The end result surely paid off!!

Just enjoy these pics from oldest to new, then ill answer questions... haha YES I BUILT THIS CAR ALONE WITH ONLY THE HELP OF A FEW FRIENDs EXTRA HANDS AND A SEAN HYLAND BOOK FOR SPECS AND PORTING! I LEARNED A TON ABOUT THESE MOTORS DURING THIS BUILD! EVEN HOW TO MAKE SOME NICE POWER!

DAY 1
image_zps9xshj0od.jpg

50K With a rod knock SUPER CLEAN THO lol
image_zpser6jfl1n.jpg

THE CULPRIT!
image_zpsubky6ajs.jpeg

image_zpsrzyjkdzv.jpg

image_zpsl0wjklpc.jpg

FIRST BUILD...TEMP BOTTOM END.
image_zpszdytbrfa.jpg

image_zpscwwrek5e.jpg

It Held up for a little cruising...
image_zpsvburq0pj.jpeg

image_zpspjrjwfds.jpeg

Beginning of the new parts after the second bottom end went. This was my "Foundation" Besides the Teksid.
image_zpskj3t4apd.jpeg

image_zps7efbqv1y.jpeg

image_zpsnqiwvnt8.jpeg

THE BRAND NEW KELLOG FORGED CANK!
image_zpsykivyyfm.jpeg

BLOCK REDONE!
image_zpsgwn8o9jj.jpeg

PARTS AMASSED!
image_zpsjjhgpdc5.jpeg

image_zpsslwd9pxz.jpeg

image_zpstyw5bk0z.jpeg

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
READY TO GO BACK TOGETHER!
image_zpsbskyecyg.jpeg

image_zpsb5ajaki6.jpeg

image_zpsp9rbgdim.jpeg

image_zpsbgqth8ex.jpeg

COIL OVERS NOW AS I WAIT FOR PARTS....
image_zpskilvltpb.jpeg

image_zpsuilszbtk.jpeg

RODS/Pistons ASSEMBLY...
image_zpslf4azvls.jpeg

image_zpsv884xwlz.jpeg

image_zpszihfdz39.jpeg
image_zpshrc9istt.jpeg

image_zpszvzanlc1.jpeg
image_zpsxnlmd3pi.jpeg

LONG TUBES! AND WRAPPED UP!
image_zpsiebivmnf.jpeg

image_zpsxk1ywkms.jpeg

$20 coolant mod...
image_zpsdveyaecu.jpeg

BACK TOGETHER!!!

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
image_zps063svtz4.jpeg

image_zpsuzd0wgyc.jpeg

Even with a TUBULAR K AND A LIFT THE HEADERS INSTALL SUCKED!!!
image_zpswtwpcrp5.jpeg

LMAF In the fender...
image_zpsexjo4d1u.jpeg

....annndd DONE (WITH MY HOME MADE INTAKE)
image_zpsj9sspase.jpeg

image_zpskfsiaomo.jpeg

And with the JLT....
image_zpsyccdhzil.jpeg

image_zpsblgw2gno.jpeg

PLENUM SPACER
image_zpsvxkjhhid.jpeg

BACK ON THE ROAD!!!!
image_zpsoejrayyz.jpeg

And now she's COMPLETELY TUBED UP!
image_zpsw9zvxvrj.jpeg

image_zpsplb7ls2f.jpeg

image_zpsmdwmqdh3.jpeg

image_zpspkpf6pkd.jpeg

image_zpsl4qeuvwg.jpeg

image_zpskt1rdwkq.jpeg

image_zpsbhmcmfmw.jpeg

image_zpsihozvlbx.jpeg

image_zpsrknlrrzt.jpeg

image_zpsw8ebvjhr.jpeg
image_zps8yzeryae.jpeg

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
This car has come so damn far. Sorry for a billion pics, but i am definitely proud of this build. I still havent posted pics of the lower intake porting and the head porting i did. Ill get back with that stuff. Hope you guys enjoy!

BTW... At the track she went 13.25 @109MPH!!!! Only made one pass... That was my first and only one so far. It still has stock gears too! It absolutely has a 12 second pass in it if i launch it like i dont care if it breaks...haha kinda hard this time!!

StreetPilot

Reaction score
Great job! Awesome that you did it yourself. How do the longtubes and Prochamber sound? I'll bet that pass was satisfying. Congratulations.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Yea, ive built 302 and stroker 347s, but its nothing like building these modular bottom ends...

I just ordered the best parts where i could afford... Like all clevite bearings, piston rings are total seal diamond coat (And i actually DID have those file fit for centrifugal boost and or nitrous because i didnt want to mess with that super critical step)
Rods/Pistons are Manley forged with new ARP hardware... The list goes ON AND ON. I have much more $ than id like to think about in this build... But as soon as i step on the gas all those thoughts disappear. This car just eats LS1s all day long and I LOVE ITTT!

NOW I NEED A BLOWER BADLY!

THE LONG TUBES WITH THE PRO CHAMBER AND LITTLE RESOS SOUND AWESOME.
MY BUDDIES ALL LOVE IT. ITS JUST A DEEP ASS MEEEANN SOUND UNTIL 4KRPM THEN ITS ALMOST LIKE IM IN A GOD DAMN LAMBO OR SOMETHING LOL! WHAT IT COULD REALLY USE IS 3'' AXLE BACK WITH THE SLP IIs

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Don't we all!

Sharp looking vert'! How come you removed the styling bar?

Thank ya... And I traded it awhile back when it was sitting in the garage for a set of take off 2000 cobra R cams. Ended up getting 700 for them. And I've got a 6 point cage in the works so I can get the car out on road courses.

Firefighter181

Reaction score
Cool. Cage is something I need to do in the future, my car is such a flexi flyer on its own, even with SFC's.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Cool. Cage is something I need to do in the future, my car is such a flexi flyer on its own, even with SFC's.

Yea my stock SFCs aren't too bad. I did notice it is stiffer with the tube k member however... Even with the convertible k brace removed. It'll feel nice with a cage though. Pretty sure I'm going bolt in though since it's a cobra. Feel like Im already killing its value.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Doesn't ride as good with the tubular K and no x brace does it?

All Ive noticed is a lot more road vibration. Ive got H&Rs in the rear and im using the viking 14''-175 coils up front on stock struts so its a little soft but still... It is by far the best handling fox platform car ive ever driven. Cant wait to get the cage in it and some fox lake steering parts to really tie it together.

Only complaint with the new front end setup is the UPR coil overs clunking every once in a while during full steering wheel lock while in reverse. Could be the rack bushings or something stupid...still working out little stuff like this on the car. Weve had literally 20 straight days of rain here in MD and that car is not going out in that mess...lol

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Should be a lot more cowl shake/vibration.

Almost no higher speed that mine doesn't shake. Pretty depressing cause i couldn't wait to get my K in, now i want my old shit back in almost.

hottwheels04

Reaction score
so are you running stock heads cams? just rebuilt the motor with bolt ons? if so then 13.2@109 is good for a heavy vert if its still 4.6 stock heads cam setup, stock compression?

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Tits dude! I remember when you picked this one up. Great deal. Glad to see shes coming along nicely!

This pic though. :)

image_zps8yzeryae.jpeg

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Should be a lot more cowl shake/vibration.

Almost no higher speed that mine doesn't shake. Pretty depressing cause i couldn't wait to get my K in, now i want my old shit back in almost.

What do you mean by "cowl shake"? I do notice the A pillars shake a little like around 45-60... But after that shes nice and smooth up to...well... The fastest ive gone in it so far is 130 then i backed off because i don't trust the 1" wheel spacers at 130mph. She gets there in a damn hurry though.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
so are you running stock heads cams? just rebuilt the motor with bolt ons? if so then 13.2@109 is good for a heavy vert if its still 4.6 stock heads cam setup, stock compression?

The bottom end is all factory spec besides being forged rods/pistons. Compression should be factory 9.8:1 with the 3cc pistons. Heads are ported with stock cams along with the lower intake cut open and ported. Those supporting mods with the long tubes is where im making my power. The car weighs just over 3600 with me in it, and using the drag racing calculations with a trap speed of 109 this thing is making over 400 at the wheels which is alot more than i was shooting for. I can take down C5 Vettes all day long. It should run low 12s when i get the 4:10 gears in it...lol yes it ran 13.20s on stock gears. Shes a fun car...

...and heres some pics of the port work i did. Many many hours in these few pics.

image_zpsb6om5gdg.jpeg

image_zpsrhrgjxad.jpeg

image_zpsvcqhb2a4.jpeg

331fbedd-575c-49ef-a2c5-b35e7dd1e08f_zpstxdw1cbm.jpg

image_zpsrod2vi4j.jpeg

image_zpsxchgqffk.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113