My "re" build thread - Trick flow/turbo build

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
that sucks then that you might still have the problem?

No way would I risk that on a build like this lol. I'm having my entire short block inspected, new stainless rings installed with new bearings, and I'll be having my trans and converter inspected too

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Have you pulled the pan off your transmission? Doing that could tell you a lot about the internal condition.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Have you pulled the pan off your transmission? Doing that could tell you a lot about the internal condition.

Not yet. I'll pop it off and take a look. I honestly don't know all that much about automatic transmissions unless it was something obvious I could see. I would think most common would be a converter failure but it literally has a brand new PI triple disc converter so I find it hard to believe that was the cause too

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Not yet. I'll pop it off and take a look. I honestly don't know all that much about automatic transmissions unless it was something obvious I could see. I would think most common would be a converter failure but it literally has a brand new PI triple disc converter so I find it hard to believe that was the cause too

I would tend tend to think the same way but every now and then you could get a converter with a stuck stator or just a faulty converter all together. When you take you pan off, dump the fluid out of it until you have like 1/4" of fluid in the bottom and take a picture and post it up. We can look it over and see if there is anything irregular.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I would tend tend to think the same way but every now and then you could get a converter with a stuck stator or just a faulty converter all together. When you take you pan off, dump the fluid out of it until you have like 1/4" of fluid in the bottom and take a picture and post it up. We can look it over and see if there is anything irregular.

Awesome, thanks a lot man. Sucks if it was the converter I just missed the warranty period. Never fails!

Wichers123

Reaction score
Get the whole pump not just the gears. Remember build the setup for the hp goal if not your gonna have a laggy or flat powerband.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Get the whole pump not just the gears. Remember build the setup for the hp goal if not your gonna have a laggy or flat powerband.

Why do you say to get the whole pump vs me putting the billet gears in my 4v HO pump?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Has anybody ever heard of or run Boundary billet gears or their pump? It looks like some pretty impressive stuff, and actually a good bit cheaper than TSS. I don't care about saving $100 or whatever over TSS, but was just curious.

http://www.boundarypumps.com/ford-v8/

Wichers123

Reaction score
Jim cushman was pushing them a few weeks after I had already bought tss. When I asked gears over pump he said they machine the housings to make sure it has the proper clearances so I bought the whole pump. You take a chance with your pump installing the gears into a housing set up already for a different set of gear. After losing one motor to a factory cobra pump shattering I take no chances.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im no professional tear down inspector, but with what ive seen in the past, that one bore looks like a shattered piston ring and bits have made it past the piston crown. And looks like the piston has been scouring on the cylinder walls.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your engine tear down area looks like one of those special sealed rooms with no dust and no contamination for building valuable electronics lol

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Im no professional tear down inspector, but with what ive seen in the past, that one bore looks like a shattered piston ring and bits have made it past the piston crown. And looks like the piston has been scouring on the cylinder walls.

You and me both lol. It very well could be. I'm dropping it off next Friday so I'm sure they will know in no time

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Your engine tear down area looks like one of those special sealed rooms with no dust and no contamination for building valuable electronics lol

Haha it's just my garage but I'm obviously a freak

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You do fantastic work. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
You do fantastic work. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Thanks a lot man. Don't worry, I'm sure once it comes time to start collecting turbo parts I'll probably be in touch :)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

Just as an FYI its called a clean room if you want to be all technical. I worked in one while I was at intel. now my garage work area is no where near a clean room or his clean room I am more like a tasmanian devil when I work with a little tornado of dirt and tools following me.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Ordered TSS billet 4v oil pump gears, stock diameter Innovators West crank pulley, and MMR black powder coated oil pan with windage tray and pickup tube spacer

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Game plan is to have the short block at machine shop on Friday. In a perfect world, can re-use my cobra crank, Manley H beam rods, Manley 18cc pistons, and all ARP hardware. Hoping to just need to have everything cleaned, re-honed, new rings/bearings, and than reassembly. With the new setup I'm planning on some pretty high boost from the turbo. What are your guys thoughts on piston rings? Been doing research and I'm liking the Total Seal AP stainless rings.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Game plan is to have the short block at machine shop on Friday. In a perfect world, can re-use my cobra crank, Manley H beam rods, Manley 18cc pistons, and all ARP hardware. Hoping to just need to have everything cleaned, re-honed, new rings/bearings, and than reassembly. With the new setup I'm planning on some pretty high boost from the turbo. What are your guys thoughts on piston rings? Been doing research and I'm liking the Total Seal AP stainless rings.

Those are the rings that Cushman sold me with my pistons.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online