Need to get my bumper back to matching...

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
So my '94 Vert in Rio Red looks kinda dumb right now--my bumper is fading to this sorta purple color and I'd like to know what combination of techniques and compounds are recommended to bring it back to life. I'm kinda new to detailing but am very ready to use this car as my guinea pig until I save up enough to get it repainted down the road.

Here's a pic so you can kinda see what I mean (i'd also like to get rid of those paint smudges as well...not sure where they came from):

IMG_20120511_202132.jpg

Sinned83

Reaction score
Do you have or know anyone with a rotary buffer?

OP
OP
G

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
I have one on loan from a friend of my dad's, and my friend has a decent D/A polisher. I have the tools, just need to know the recommended techniques and--more importantly--the recommended products to use to polish the color back to match.

So far I've heard good things about Meguiar's ColorX but don't know much beyond that.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
get it sprayed......that clearcoat is fawked......plus the scrapes aint going away....not those at least..they looks like good ones

OP
OP
G

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
Eh I'm trying to hold off until next summer when I can get the whole thing sprayed. Just want to see if I can bring it back at least a little bit. I've heard that some colorX and about 3 hours of my life can at least bring it some of the way back. As for the scrapes I can't really tell if they're in there or just left-on paint.

I figure if I screw it up with the buffer I can just get it sprayed and I'm no worse off.

OP
OP
G

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
A lot of the scraping along the bottom was caked on dirt. This was right after I bought the car and hadn't had a chance to really wash it yet. I'll get some close-ups tomorrow if it's sunny out.

I can't tell if the clear is failing or if it's just heavy oxidization.

OP
OP
G

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
So it wasn't very sunny but I did my best to get a close up. The sun finally came out today so maybe when I go home for lunch I can get a better shot. All that white haze goes away whenever you apply a cleaner wax or color-restore to it. It's only a matter of time, though, until the haze comes back. It even looks a little better if it just gets wet, as you can see by the rain drops. Overall the color is still a little too dark to match, though.

pp6zV.jpg

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
smear some gasoline on it it'll shine back up......it really will but more seriously i'd 1500 it down then go over it with anywhere between 2000 and 3000 (idk what your supply situation is) and buff it up buff it up buff it up.....aint gonna come out perfect but it should be a lot better than now

OP
OP
G

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
Oh wow...that's amazing. Good to know I'm not alone.

If I do go the wet sanding route, what should I buff it up with? Any generic car polish? I'm thinking of just removing the bumper and putting it on saw horses for this project so I can get around it easier...

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yeah i'd yank the bumper so youre not laying down.....trust me its a beetch to buff like upside down.....i'd dry sand with 1500 and when you do the final sand then do that wet......use a rubbing compound with the according pad.....then finish with a machine polish (swirl remover (a little goes a long way with polish)) with the according foam polish pad......if you have a paint supply place near you that'd be your best bet.....otherwise idk where to get it......i use all 3M compounds with CleanTech pads......Meguiars makes great 3000 papers for a 6" DA if you have one......if not then prepare for a time consuming arm workout

EDIT: here's a pic of the 3000 paper that i use.....its actually like a 1/8" thick pad (the tan one...but theyre as thick as the red one)

Meguiarsoctanefreaks051.jpg

OP
OP
G

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
Roger that.

I guess I might try the gasoline this weekend. Also got some colorX to see if that brings it back in a few spots. It's very receptive to moisture and color restoring products, just haven't found anything that sticks. I also haven't really spent a whole lot of time/effort trying, though, which could be my biggest problem.

Thanks for the help!!! I'll let you know how it goes.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
no dont do the gasoline thing it doesnt help anything besides makes it look ok for like a day......if you follow my previous post there should be no need for any other products.....idk what colorx is tho....sounds like soemthing to use on those scratches? no clue

OP
OP
G

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G11816-COLORx/dp/B0002UQAN4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1355860777&sr=1-1&keywords=colorx

M
y buddy has a bottle of this stuff and we put it on by hand to my side skirts (which are in even worse shape) and it brought it back pretty well. I think with a little time and a D/A you could bring it back pretty well, hopefully without sanding. I guess I'll see how long this holds up and if it fades in a couple days I'll have my answer and have to go the sanding route...

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
oh gotcha.....well products like that are only temporary.....whether they say it or not there's only so much that can be done without really doing some work to it......kinda like..idk...think of it this way - if you throw a cam in your car it'll be better right? but until you get a tune it'll never be what it could be......thats the easiest way i can describe it i guess......anyways yeah go that route and see how it works......if/when you sand/buff it just makes sure you clean the snots out of it cuz things like that colorx, armorall, etc seeps in.....so make sure you clean it thoroughly with wax/grease remover or at least rubbing alcohol before you start sanding

EDIT: be careful when sanding....assuming thats a factory paint job on the bumper....the clearcoat isnt nearly as thick as if it were sprayed by a person......just go till its all scuffed then move on to the next step

OP
OP
G

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
Good point. You're helping me reconsider the colorX thing. Though maybe I just use that to get me through the winter then once the weather gets nice put some real time into it. I hate these short days and cold temperatures. I want to work on my car from 8am until 10pm :D

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
haha yeah i hear ya......i'd say do that.....use the colorx thru the winter and really do it up in the spring

OP
OP
G

GMUSSTN

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for your help. So I thought I had ordered ColorX, but really I had ordered Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. I tried a few test spots and was blown away. I'll try and get some pictures up once it stops raining. After a little bit of elbow grease all the oxidization disappeared and I was able to bring the color back to stock no problem. Next warm weekend I'm going to take the bumper off and go over the whole thing with a D/A tool. Can't wait to do the hood and side skirts as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online