OLD FARTS "It never ends"

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So I did the first oil change at 500 miles and put is some syn.5-20 and have 250 on that now and it was in the car for the 12 dyno pulls.
After pull 6 I heard a lifter tick and it was loud at idle but was gone by 3000 RPM. So in the last 2 days I have had 2 good engine builders listen and the answer is "you're going to have to take a look". Next I did a compression test to see if anything showed up, nope, 145 PSI in all 8 cylinders. I took off the passenger valve cover for inspection and the last exhaust lifter was a little lower than the rest. I pulled it and I had a .012 shim on the bottom. I cleaned the lifter out and it was nice and "squishy" so I filled it up with some 90wt. and added a .004 shim to the bottom to bring it up a little and put everything back together and the ticking is gone for now? IIRC this exhaust valve seat had the most damage to it and was sunk a total of .013 by the time it cleaned up but was still in spec by.002 so this was the reason I took the heads in to be checked after I finished them and the pro builders said it was good enough. I am not pissed in any way at anyone, the worst valve out of 16 started to make noise after being beat on and I think I will switch to the new oil for Mustangs from Amsoil that is a 0-50 viscosity. I wife was impressed I could do a teardown and repair so fast, I explained that it is a new engine and none of the fasteners had frozen in place yet.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Motor is toast...junk in the heads I did not get out has clogged the tappets and rest of the engine so bearings are on order. Now I get to play pit crew and see how fast I can do a teardown and rebuild.
There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it twice. ( some old fart )

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Oh man, that really sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. I remember seeing all the junk that was in those heads and because of that, it made me tear mine all the way down and wash them half a dozen times then blow air through every passage possible. Are you doing anything different this time or just going back together with it?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That truly sucks!!! But as my good friend and I always say on the job, "if it's worth doing right, it's worth doing twice". Lol

I know it doesn't help but you'll find yourself saying now just to laugh at me knowing I've done stuff twice or more........ ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My attitude is great, does not bother me at all. The motor is fresh and at most I'll have to buff up the crank and run thicker oil. Maybe this time I will soak the heads in a 5 gallon bucket of kerosene because they were nasty when I got them. It will need new bearings and lifters everything else is set up and made to be reused fast, now to find some thinner head gaskets....
Got a call into Bullet Cams today about a custom 3V cam I can run in a 2v, they did not laugh at me and understood immediately the what and why of the request so I will let you know what they say.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not a lot of choices for thinner head gaskets, lots of different bore diameters to choose from. I think the easiest way for me to raise the compression is to just weld up some of what I cut away.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Gotta deck the block. Then its either cometic, ford, or felpro. IIRC cometic is .030", ford is .039" and felpro crushes around .050".

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I read that the 3v gaskets from Ford crutch at .031" but I can't verify that. Also, I want to make it known that 3v head gaskets will NOT work with Windsor heads. It makes an awesome coolant/oil milkshake.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Time to get the motor out and weld up some compression! Even with 750 miles on the motor I am finding things to change as I take apart this new setup and now I am glad to be forced to do the tear down.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Glad to know you are in good spirits about it. Just know that Im cheering you on!

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Could you document how you are welding up those heads? Pretty please?

Ive got some spare heads here that I want to do that with and I would really like to see what you do with yours.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The tear down revelled that the crankshaft timing wheel that the position sensor uses for timing control was the wrong one. I used the stamped steel one and I should have used the power metal thick one. The rod bearings looked good but the mains I will replace. I will work on getting the lower end back together tomorrow and on to the heads on Friday.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
That stamped steel timing wheel requires a special crank sprocket. Ill poke around, see what I got.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well the motor is back together, and I tried the PM type timing wheel and it would not fit behind the

'96 timing cover so back to stamped steel for now. I might have to switch to the '05 cover and more mixed year voodoo.
Did you check out the head welding thread on the other site? Anything more you want to see?

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Many rebuilds later I have a cracked head in number 8 intake some where, I will try to find it and get a picture this week.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How can I tell if the port has a crack in it or the gasket water vent at the end of the head is leaking into number 8?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online