lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to make a 3hr interstate road trip to the drag strip tomorrow, make some passes, then road trip home. I think exhaust selection plays a big role in this.

OP, sorry for derailing the thread though. Keep up the great work!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
A 6-speed would fix it too. I know when I brought mine home, the two hour interstate drive at 3k had my ears ringing like crazy. That was with the dronemasters, the Borla are better but it still sings pretty good at 3k.
I am enjoying 1500 rpm in 6th at 60 now but it still feels so strange to go down into 6th while going so fast.

Venompower

Reaction score
You guys need coyotes, or modular engines for that matter. I commute my car daily and have gone as far as a 6hr road trip in my car with 4.10’s and a 5 speed. At 80mph (my normal traveling speed) I am at 3k rpm. Even on that 6hr drive, the coyote was perfectly happy at 3k rpm the whole time.
My 4.6 is perfectly happy, but with LT headers, no cats, and 40 series flowmasters dumped... my ears werent lol.

OP
OP
FastballRacing

FastballRacing

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to make a 3hr interstate road trip to the drag strip tomorrow, make some passes, then road trip home. I think exhaust selection plays a big role in this.

OP, sorry for derailing the thread though. Keep up the great work!

No worries! I enjoy the chatter lol!

Addermk2

Reaction score
I've Been reading mixed things about it. For an aggressive street setup they are saying 4.10's. I just want it to be a bit rowdy, I have a brand new 4.10 kit I stumbled across on Facebook for $25 so that's why I'm considering doing it. I will for sure be doing more research before I jump into it.

4.10's would be great for a fairly stock car, but you'll be out of gear WAY faster than you'll be happy with.

If it were me (literally what I have done) Save your gear swap for the absolute LAST thing you do. Get the car running, driving, boosting, and tuned. Then calculate an estimated track time and trap speed based on weight and HP, and gear for the trap speed. I still run 3.08's in my turbo car. I had 3.73's and absolutely HATED it once I was boosted (was a N/A stroker)

I may have missed it but is the car auto or manual? I seem to hear 4.10s for boosted auto and 3.73 for boosted manual.

Nobody in the history of ever, has recommended those gear ratios for boosted cars.

More of less a fun street car lol, that may see the track once in awhile.

I said that too. Now I'm starting to sway in the other direction. Build to satisfy certain track needs, and your street drive will be amazing.

Wait what?

I'm driving 2 hours next friday... what what

OP
OP
FastballRacing

FastballRacing

Reaction score
4.10's would be great for a fairly stock car, but you'll be out of gear WAY faster than you'll be happy with.

If it were me (literally what I have done) Save your gear swap for the absolute LAST thing you do. Get the car running, driving, boosting, and tuned. Then calculate an estimated track time and trap speed based on weight and HP, and gear for the trap speed. I still run 3.08's in my turbo car. I had 3.73's and absolutely HATED it once I was boosted (was a N/A stroker)

Nobody in the history of ever, has recommended those gear ratios for boosted cars.

I said that too. Now I'm starting to sway in the other direction. Build to satisfy certain track needs, and your street drive will be amazing.

I'm driving 2 hours next friday... what what
Thats what I am hearing from some of my local Mustang buddies, the 4.10 ill run out of gear way too fast. Really 3.08's? Thats awesome, what made you hate the 3.73's?

In a few years, I'd eventually would like to track it more often then street time. Just want to have hand and hand on both.

OP
OP
FastballRacing

FastballRacing

Reaction score
I did forget to put in here.

With the AC Pulley/Smog Pulley Delete

I Had to find a New Belt - I tested 71.5" | 80.5" | 82.5"

The Answer is 81.5" in my case.

I looked on every diagram the internet could provide me for the setup and had no luck on any of the belts it offered. Thankfully Autozone had a 81.5" in stock.

IMG_5536.jpg

IMG_5564.jpg

Venompower

Reaction score

I'm willing to bet he would split his stock block in half before 4.10 gears ever become a problem on the street.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Thats what I am hearing from some of my local Mustang buddies, the 4.10 ill run out of gear way too fast. Really 3.08's? Thats awesome, what made you hate the 3.73's?

In a few years, I'd eventually would like to track it more often then street time. Just want to have hand and hand on both.
I found that with 3.73's I was on the limiter almost instantly. I had to set my shift parameters around 4800 in order to make a timely 1-2 shift before banging the chip at 6500. I stepped back to 3.08's because turbos like load. If you spin an engine too fast, you will lose load on the turbo, and in essence slow the car down because you're not making enough boost in the lower gears.

I've been 147mph in the 1/4 with 3.08 gears. My new shortblock and cam will be complimented with 3.55 gears because Ill have more useable RPM range.

Seriously, trust me. Don't gear the car until you have dyno numbers. You'll thank me later.

I did forget to put in here.
With the AC Pulley/Smog Pulley Delete
I Had to find a New Belt - I tested 71.5" | 80.5" | 82.5"
The Answer is 81.5" in my case.

I looked on every diagram the internet could provide me for the setup and had no luck on any of the belts it offered. Thankfully Autozone had a 81.5" in stock.

Take the UDP's off and put your stock pullies back on. You're going to have problems with those.

Honestly, I dont know why people still buy those things.

I'm willing to bet he would split his stock block in half before 4.10 gears ever become a problem on the street.

You seem to forget that a typical 5.0 runs out of oomph at 5800-6200 rpm. That will give him MAYBE 110mph to play with at the top of 4th gear before he's banging on the limiter. I'd be willing to put money on the fact that he'll regret gearing the car that high.

Venompower

Reaction score
You seem to forget that a typical 5.0 runs out of oomph at 5800-6200 rpm. That will give him MAYBE 110mph to play with at the top of 4th gear before he's banging on the limiter. I'd be willing to put money on the fact that he'll regret gearing the car that high.
I don't have a great frame of reference on the 302's... every V8 Mustang I have owned has had a 4.6 DOHC.

The Procharger has a powerband more in line with a turbo but because it is belt driven, I don't have to worry about load to spool it. The 4.10's become tiresome at sustained highway speed due to my exhaust, but man it accelerates like crazy off the line.

He is going to have to balance using load to spool, and still getting off the line hard... I'd recommend getting a 2-step.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
This sure brings me back to my (Boost Brothers) turbo kit install days on my 95gt. Their kit was very similar design to the on3. Had a blast with that car. I believe mine had 3.55 gears in it with the T5 and it was a great all around setup.

joe65

Reaction score
I found that with 3.73's I was on the limiter almost instantly. I had to set my shift parameters around 4800 in order to make a timely 1-2 shift before banging the chip at 6500. I stepped back to 3.08's because turbos like load. If you spin an engine too fast, you will lose load on the turbo, and in essence slow the car down because you're not making enough boost in the lower gears.

I've been 147mph in the 1/4 with 3.08 gears. My new shortblock and cam will be complimented with 3.55 gears because Ill have more useable RPM range.

Seriously, trust me. Don't gear the car until you have dyno numbers. You'll thank me later.

Take the UDP's off and put your stock pullies back on. You're going to have problems with those.

Honestly, I dont know why people still buy those things.

Interesting points, and i agree with them all. If you haven't had a turbo car you just understand the feel of the turbo liking to be loaded. Turbos also come on hard, almost all of them and short gears will make you shift faster than you think like mentioned. Also agree with the UDP's just dont use them. They really are not worth the grief. I'd spend money on an electric water pump before i went udps.

Maximum95

Reaction score
AWESOME write up! I've been contemplating turbo for my GT. I came across Fastball on Instagram, messaged him about the install and he sent me the link to this thread. I haven't posted on the forum in 10 years. So 2x thanks to this man for getting me to log in, and for sharing this info.

BTW not sure if he mentioned, but this is the second version of the On3 kit. The first version did not fit well at all, from what I've seen. But this second version is definitely on my radar.

OP
OP
FastballRacing

FastballRacing

Reaction score
AWESOME write up! I've been contemplating turbo for my GT. I came across Fastball on Instagram, messaged him about the install and he sent me the link to this thread. I haven't posted on the forum in 10 years. So 2x thanks to this man for getting me to log in, and for sharing this info.

BTW not sure if he mentioned, but this is the second version of the On3 kit. The first version did not fit well at all, from what I've seen. But this second version is definitely on my radar.

Great talking to you! Gotta love the SN95 forums! It is always helpful in someway! Welcome back. & yes it is a Gen 2 kit!

NXcoupe

Reaction score
More of less a fun street car lol, that may see the track once in awhile.
As to gear selection for your Turbo car, rule of thumb is more gear is bad for a turbo. A turbo needs load or stress to allow the turbo to spool. It's not just rpm, as many think, it is load and exhaust flow.
What is the rear gear that is in it now? I would drive it and see how it feels first. A turbo is not a supercharger, it doesn't need rpm to make boost, just load, which increases exhaust flow.
Max I would recommend would be a 3.55, and then that may be too much. When the turbo spools, torque goes through the roof and a 3.55 may multiply that torque and blow the tires off, where a 3.27 may be tamer on the street.
Sorry, just trying to help. I have 2 turbo cars and have built and tune a lot of turbos.

OP
OP
FastballRacing

FastballRacing

Reaction score
As to gear selection for your Turbo car, rule of thumb is more gear is bad for a turbo. A turbo needs load or stress to allow the turbo to spool. It's not just rpm, as many think, it is load and exhaust flow.
What is the rear gear that is in it now? I would drive it and see how it feels first. A turbo is not a supercharger, it doesn't need rpm to make boost, just load, which increases exhaust flow.
Max I would recommend would be a 3.55, and then that may be too much. When the turbo spools, torque goes through the roof and a 3.55 may multiply that torque and blow the tires off, where a 3.27 may be tamer on the street.
Sorry, just trying to help. I have 2 turbo cars and have built and tune a lot of turbos.
I appreciate the comment! Still running the stocker gears. Which is the 3.27!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online