Opinions on Nitrous

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I do tons of racing. Multiple highway pulls a week. I'm gonna have to get in contact with some guys from Big3 (local speed shop around here. A LOT of fast wicked cars from them, and I know lots of people that work for them and have gotten stuff done by them) and see about bottle pricing. I'm loving the thought of that kick in the ass to over 400ftlbs but my God that's a hefty bill to be putting in monthly.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've been spraying for years currently have 4 bottles and will be running 2 in my car most likely this year the nitrous bill will be much cheaper this year now that I'm boosted

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Whats a bottle cost to get filled where your from? Its $32 here lol

RichV

Reaction score
Why don't you go drive a car with nitrous, one with a s/c, and one with a turbo. All in the 400whp range and see what you like.

I've had or done every one of those combos myself, and know each has strengths and weaknesses. Nitrous is filling bottles, yea $40 is not the end of the world, but you ad that with a track entry, and in the shot you get into finals and make more than 4 rounds you will need another fill. That adds to a $100 night.

The turbo will be a pain to install, a bad engineered kit will dump a ton of heat around all sorts of stuff that you may have short/long term issues with. Tuning is typicaly not easy to do, and you absolutely must find a tuner that knows tuning turbo cars.

The s/c is by far easiest to install and can make just as much power. The kits are tried and true, can tunes work relatively well, and you can get a new kit with everything and be done in a weekend.

400HP is 400HP whether it's nitrous or boost. You can get there multiple ways, but if you win a race with nitrous, s/c, or turbo, who cares, you win. Why not go the easiest way, and where you can get the most support if you have issues? I would KB that biothch in a second. A buddy had a 04 GT, he got the KB flowzilla setup with fuel, tune, injectors. No other mod than an exhaust he was 400+/400+ on hp/tq, and ran high 12s at 5280ft. And he was by far no mechanic genius, installed it himself in a weekend.

nightfire

Reaction score
I guess you never seen a dyno sheet of a nitrous pull vs. supercharger pull. I may not "know" much about blowers but what i do know is they literally suck lol, but seriously i think nitrous is a easier, better, and cheaper choice, but thats just my opinion.

Ok, if you want to get technical.....then yes, nitrous is obviously "instant". However, a properly set up centri like mine and the "mash you back into the seat" feeling is "instant" whenever I floor it, and the linear power curve of a centri is just insane from there on out.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
My experience has been 400hp Turbo vs. 400hp Nitrous. The turbo car usually wins. Just an example.

But there are times nitrous cars leave so hard the turbo cars don't have enough room to run them down.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Why don't you go drive a car with nitrous, one with a s/c, and one with a turbo. All in the 400whp range and see what you like.

I've had or done every one of those combos myself, and know each has strengths and weaknesses. Nitrous is filling bottles, yea $40 is not the end of the world, but you ad that with a track entry, and in the shot you get into finals and make more than 4 rounds you will need another fill. That adds to a $100 night.

The turbo will be a pain to install, a bad engineered kit will dump a ton of heat around all sorts of stuff that you may have short/long term issues with. Tuning is typicaly not easy to do, and you absolutely must find a tuner that knows tuning turbo cars.

The s/c is by far easiest to install and can make just as much power. The kits are tried and true, can tunes work relatively well, and you can get a new kit with everything and be done in a weekend.

400HP is 400HP whether it's nitrous or boost. You can get there multiple ways, but if you win a race with nitrous, s/c, or turbo, who cares, you win. Why not go the easiest way, and where you can get the most support if you have issues? I would KB that biothch in a second. A buddy had a 04 GT, he got the KB flowzilla setup with fuel, tune, injectors. No other mod than an exhaust he was 400+/400+ on hp/tq, and ran high 12s at 5280ft. And he was by far no mechanic genius, installed it himself in a weekend.

+1. This about sums it up. If you don't care to get your power the easiest way, that's cool man. If S/C's aren't your thing, I understand. Me, personally, I'm a turbo guy. I'd turbo it, knowing that it wasn't the easiest way, but because that's what I enjoy. The bottom line is: RichV is dead on. However, if you want something other than S/C, or if you want to go NOS because that's what *you* want, then who cares what all of us say? Just do it my man. And if you end up not liking it, or loving it, or whatevs, at least you did something and learned from it :) And of course, you'll always get some dude one that's like "I told you so" but no worries.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Whats a lot of racing? Multipul times a week

Yes sir multiple times a week. We'd literally go out almost every night looking for pulls. Racing each other about 5 times a night too lol...

a 10lb bottle on a 150 shot is only like 5 passes at best...

rule of thumb is .8lbs per 100 shot per 10 seconds.

Ehh so a 10lb 150 shot would last me about one night... Ouch!

Your absolutely right Rich. I should really try to ride in all of them and make my decision based on them. But what I'm saying about blowers is I don't like centri's. I have nothing against roots, roots are just very expensive and not very common among 2v's. The Flowzilla would be badass tho... And I agree about them being simple to install. Roots are as simple as "pretty much" changing the intake manifold. Centri's are possibly a tad more in depth. But still on the same level of installation (assuming the roots is an intercooled version). Turbos are by far the hardest to install, however that still does not scare me. I've been through all the diagrams and looked at all the parts and realistically, my buddy's and I could have it done and running in a few days with a few beers here, few beers there, taking our good ol time. We're all pretty mechanically inclined so a turbo kit shouldn't be hard. Bolt up here, maybe cut up a tad there.. Not too bad. Only thing we don't do so well is fabricate lol. Which is why I would want a "kit" so I don't have to fab up my own cold side, because my welding leaves a lot to be desired.

Solid info tho Rich, I'll definitely take all that into consideration. I know lots of guys who run all of the above so I'll ask them what they think and go from there. I know it's all really personal preference but seeing as all I've ridden in is a turbo 2v, that's definitely getting my vote as of right now LOL

+1. This about sums it up. If you don't care to get your power the easiest way, that's cool man. If S/C's aren't your thing, I understand. Me, personally, I'm a turbo guy. I'd turbo it, knowing that it wasn't the easiest way, but because that's what I enjoy. The bottom line is: RichV is dead on. However, if you want something other than S/C, or if you want to go NOS because that's what *you* want, then who cares what all of us say? Just do it my man. And if you end up not liking it, or loving it, or whatevs, at least you did something and learned from it :) And of course, you'll always get some dude one that's like "I told you so" but no worries.

Can't tell if sarcasm or................. Haha I'm pretty sure your being sarcastic but it's all good man. I like turbo's better myself which is why I'm leaning that way lol. Idk just never been a big fan of centri's. I know I know.. Easiest and cheapest and most reliable power... But I just don't like them. The loss of MPG is the biggest killer for me. My car gets daily'd 9 months of the year. So being able to retain my mileage with a turbo is a big plus for me

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Can't tell if sarcasm or................. Haha I'm pretty sure your being sarcastic but it's all good man. I like turbo's better myself which is why I'm leaning that way lol. Idk just never been a big fan of centri's. I know I know.. Easiest and cheapest and most reliable power... But I just don't like them. The loss of MPG is the biggest killer for me. My car gets daily'd 9 months of the year. So being able to retain my mileage with a turbo is a big plus for me

Huh, well I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just trying to say do what you want to do. There'll always be people, on a forum in particular, to tell you to do things different ways. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong, and sometimes they are just different. Pick the way you want to add the power, and have it. Then let us know what you think. That's all I was trying to say :)

Oh, and don't think you'll get THAT much better mpg with a turbo. I know the thought process behind it. But it's just so easy to turn up the boost a bit, and so hard to keep your foot out of the gas. Plus, on a larger engine with a turbo, there really isn't much savings in mpg. I bet a comparison between a turbo'd Mustang and S/C one regarding mpg, all else being equal (driving style, weight, mods, etc), will be about the same. I mean you REALLY have to keep it out of boost to see a savings in mpg. Just saying :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online