Opinions on Nitrous

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Lag isn't the issue. Centri's aren't as daily friendly (basing this purely off 2 PROPERLY setup, setups. 1 turbo, 1 centri), they drop your mileage 2-3mpg(avg), which I drive it 9 months out of the year so the more mpg I can save the better in the long run. Centris are harder on transmissions, I have 145k, I know it's gonna blow up eventually, but I'd really like to prolong it a little. Centri's take away the "sleeper" status (not really a huge deal for me since I have a black 00R hood on a silver car lol, but still how many fools you see driving around with big cowl hoods and hood pins, then bone stock under the hood?).

I do like the fact that they are easier to install, cost less, and you don't have to change your exhaust. But they just aren't really for me when turbo is an option. I'd slap a centri on my Jeep in a heatbeat if I could, and the Jeep wasn't ****ed up lol. But I just really want a turbo. Like I said my buddy just put a PSC1 (I think?) on his. We just finished mounting the intercooler where he wants it. All he needs is injectors and pump and I'm sure he'll take it out before spring to get it tuned. Nothing against them, they just aren't my thing. I guess I'm "that guy" among mustangers who doesn't like them. Because 99.999999% of mustang guys associate power with a procharger or vortech or paxton. Glad everyone else makes power with them but I'd like to do something different that I know I would like more myself.

Just curious where you are getting the info from about less mpg and harder on your transmission? Are you thinking of roots type blowers? Just so you know torque is what will kill transmissions, and turbos will give the most tq...

Just make sure you do your homework with turbos. I personally know 3 guys who went the On3 way and they were complete junk. Its not a coincidence with this type of investment that you get what you pay for. Just saying.

And just so you know that I am NOT biased, I currently own a built and nitrous LS1 and used to own a 383 stroked turbo LT1 lol

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I daily drove my 97 cobra with novi 2k at 13psi and stalled auto.Car was driven 70miles a day and had great street manners.You would think it was stock besides the 4.10s and loud exhaust lol

nightfire

Reaction score
DD here as well. Drives like stock if I want it to. 20-22mpg's. No problems.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Fair enough I digress that other forums may have misleading info on the mpg aspect....

I'm still hard headed as fawk and don't like centris :pedobear:

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
haha its your money man. All setups will put a smile on your face.

GT3FC

Reaction score
Yea they make it for the 2v and I got it from AM for about $100 cheaper than from NY themselves but I still gotta get a purge and window switch at least before I start spraying.. Along with the fuel pressure cut off and the fuel and nitrous pressure gauges... But I'm still pretty Damn excited! It should be here Thursday anyone have any pointers on install?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Yea they make it for the 2v and I got it from AM for about $100 cheaper than from NY themselves but I still gotta get a purge and window switch at least before I start spraying.. Along with the fuel pressure cut off and the fuel and nitrous pressure gauges... But I'm still pretty Damn excited! It should be here Thursday anyone have any pointers on install?

Awesome man. Double check before you buy but I thought the NX kits came with a FPSS.

GT3FC

Reaction score
Awesome man. Double check before you buy but I thought the NX kits came with a FPSS.

What's an FPSS ? Sorry I'm new to nitrous never used it before. All I know about it is from research iv done over the past couple months

copmagnet

Reaction score
basically to dumb it down, think of it as a WOT switch. its only closed when it makes fuel rail pressure, any time fuel rail pressure drops below a certain amount (PSI) it "opens" and instantly stops the nitrous system protecting you from spiking lean and blowing your motor.

GT3FC

Reaction score
Yea I know what it is I just didn't realize that's what it stands for and I don't believe it does but hey if it does that's one less thing I need to buy

copmagnet

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you already said it or not, but if you get a zex kit you don't need it as it has one built it. (sorry if you already said what kit your getting)

shorty

Reaction score
I'm guessing you are going turbo?
I say do it.
I'm a huge nitrous fan, but if you plan on driving your car around town and what not, then go turbo.Plus you wont be on boost until you want it.
Nitrous is fun and all, but if you plan on running around town its going to be a bish.. Will need a bottle heater, electronic opener, electronic gauge, all the safety stuff ect ect. A lot of people will say you don't need all that, but if you want to have the bottle on tap for any race at any given time, then yea you will need all that. and then on top of that you'll need to make sure its legal in your town to drive around with a bottle hooked up. Where i live, they impound your car with no questions asked. You can easily spend the same amount of money in a nice nitrous system then you can in a turbo system.
But if you plan on drag racing 90% of the time. then yea spray that bastard to the moon..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser