Opinions on Nitrous

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Fixed** Lol thanks, like I said I'm clueless on nitrous..

And holy shit.. That thing was wicked. I'm a street runner 95% of the time. Our local tracks are a bit of a drive and most of us can't make it out there on the same days so it's a tough thing to figure out. You say you blew the tires off all the time on the street... That kinda concerns me lol. Granite I only run highway, but I'd hate to punch it and ****in lose it on the highway. Would you still recommend it for a highway runner? Sounds like you really liked it lol.

I'll let you know on that kit tho haha...... I'm kicking the idea around but still need to learn a lot more about it

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
The more I think about the cost and the effectiveness of it... The more I like it..... How much does it usually cost to fill a bottle? And how fast do they typically run out?

[MENTION=10730]duff daddy[/MENTION] your a 2v guru what are your opinions?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

330CubeGt

Reaction score
To fill a bottle here it cost me $32 but I know that's on the low side.

My buddy bought a used kit for $250 bucks slapped it on his 01 GT 100% bone stock with no tune and he's been surprising people ever since, cars on a 100 shot with 4.56s.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Here is a clip of said car, I believe in this video he was up to a 150 shot on drag radials.Car still 100% stock with no tune, after just over 2 years of sucess he upped the jets.Had a little trouble getting out of the hole this pass to :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiDHjcwHq6A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Oh and the nitrous might last 4-6 passes if your on a 100 shot if I'm not mistaken.I never made back to back passes personally so I could be a little off.The smaller the shot the longer the bottle will last.

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
Thats the other thing about nitrous is that it is instant!, no waiting to build up like a blower. Turbo is kinda the same thing but it gives you a big kick in the butt. My dads car actually was a beast on the freeway, he raced two zo6's and left them standing still lol. The only downfall to nitrous is having it filled every time, but if you don't race all the time youll be all good. There's a reason that all the drag racing's favorite power adder is nitrous.

and the people that don't like nitrous are usually the ones getting smoked and/or tried it and messed up...

GT3FC

Reaction score
How do y'all feel about nitrous?

I'm about to buy my first nitrous set up and I was just wondering how y'all feel about using the "gas that will instantly kill your engine"? Haha

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Exactly, I was lucky if i hit the track 6-8 times in a year. Thats not a lot and that's why I am also leaning towards nitrous for my next 2v...

330CubeGt

Reaction score
There is already a thread just like this, check it out for some of my opinions if you like.

nightfire

Reaction score
On3's kits USED to be lacking in quality. Their new 2nd gen forward-facing kits are FAR better in fit and finish.

Nitrous is attractive because of its low cost. But factor in refills and the fact that it isn't "power on demand" like forced induction and it has its drawbacks. I was once in the same position.

Massive power always there when you need it >>>>>> power that you have to refill, warm, arm, and run out of.

Bottle pressure is everything. If you don't have the optimum pressure then you wont get the right amount of flow....therefor not getting the full effects. Nitrous is great if you have only 1 or 2 planned races and you take the time beforehand to ensure you have all your shit together.

Boost = anytime, anywhere

nightfire

Reaction score
Thats the other thing about nitrous is that it is instant!, no waiting to build up like a blower.

You're not very familiar with blowers, are you. Positive displacement blowers are "instant". I have a centri with a 4.10 step-up ratio, a high stall converter, and 4.10 gears......power is "instant" as well.

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
You're not very familiar with blowers, are you. Positive displacement blowers are "instant". I have a centri with a 4.10 step-up ratio, a high stall converter, and 4.10 gears......power is "instant" as well.

I guess you never seen a dyno sheet of a nitrous pull vs. supercharger pull. I may not "know" much about blowers but what i do know is they literally suck lol, but seriously i think nitrous is a easier, better, and cheaper choice, but thats just my opinion.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
This is what starts to happen. Guys that know nothing about blowers give false info and vice versa with nitrous haha

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a centri with a 4.10 step-up ratio, a high stall converter, and 4.10 gears......power is "instant" as well.

Technically speaking, it isn't. You don't get full boost until higher in the RPM range. Sure you get more power over stock in the lower range, so I guess from that perspective, power is instant - meaning more power than stock. But not full power. Which I think was the point regarding the comment about NOS being instant. Your statement about positive displacement blowers being "instant" is, for all intents and purposes, accurate.

copmagnet

Reaction score
Nitrous, cheaper? BAHAHAHAHA NOT!

a complete set-up, warmer, purge, kit, blanket, blow down, nitrous filter is roughly 1600$. not to mention new fuel pumps(depending on shot) and tuning and your above the cost of a used procharger. of course you could run JUST the kit, but eventually your going to get bored of filling bottles. I did...

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Im going to do a little Write up/ Put a small parts list together for you Nitrous newbs to give you a better look at some of your reasonable priced options and what you actually have to change and what you don't actually have to change.

This is the problems with forums, the guy who started this thread wants a simple but safe kit and has already mentioned running a $100 Shot. Some of the things mentioned by copmagnet are either not needed or he is grabbing prices from the highest end of the Nitrous catalog as the $1600 Cost is not realistic per your average mustang guy that just wanted to run a 100-150 Shot. Your trying to take a cheap affordable power adder and make it out like he needs to spend that much money, and if he is why not just but a used centri supercharger. What you forget is when you buy that used supercharger for $1600 bucks its a tuner kit, There are no if and's or buts.Then there is the list of MUST HAVE or REQUIRED parts such as a TUNE ($450-700) , FUEL PUMP ($65-100), 39-42#INJECTORS $250-350, 90 mm MASS AIR FLOW $85, $25 Drain bung for oil pan, Possibly a fitting for the feed line? $25.

So in turn your $1600 deal of a supercharger ends up actually costing you somewhere in the ballpark of $2400-2600.Been there with my cobra so im speaking from experience. What if you need a new belt or pulley or feed & return line? Before you know it you have $2600-3k Into a used supercharger kit for it to be a 100% maintenance free power adder.

Yea i might be exaggerating slightly, but still not as big of an exaggeration of the said $1600 needed to have a complete nitrous kit...

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input but like Frank said I'm looking at the range of 100-125 shot, and it doesn't need to be the toppest of notches. Just something simple and safe. I'm still exploring my options, been doing a lot of research online and apparently a LOT of people love nitrous. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger right away is the fact that I mainly run highway. And I don't always "look" for the races, a lot of times I'm just cruising somewhere and get pulled up on. I'm assuming from what I've seen/heard you have to set everything up before going out on runs.. Seems like a total PITA for someone like myself. Idk I'll keep looking into it. Thanks for the opinions so far guys. And for the last time.. I do NOT want a centri lol. And Frank those prices are pretty damn close I don't think you exaggerated at all man

copmagnet

Reaction score
Im going to do a little Write up/ Put a small parts list together for you Nitrous newbs to give you a better look at some of your reasonable priced options and what you actually have to change and what you don't actually have to change.

This is the problems with forums, the guy who started this thread wants a simple but safe kit and has already mentioned running a $100 Shot. Some of the things mentioned by copmagnet are either not needed or he is grabbing prices from the highest end of the Nitrous catalog as the $1600 Cost is not realistic per your average mustang guy that just wanted to run a 100-150 Shot. Your trying to take a cheap affordable power adder and make it out like he needs to spend that much money, and if he is why not just but a used centri supercharger. What you forget is when you buy that used supercharger for $1600 bucks its a tuner kit, There are no if and's or buts.Then there is the list of MUST HAVE or REQUIRED parts such as a TUNE ($450-700) , FUEL PUMP ($65-100), 39-42#INJECTORS $250-350, 90 mm MASS AIR FLOW $85, $25 Drain bung for oil pan, Possibly a fitting for the feed line? $25.

So in turn your $1600 deal of a supercharger ends up actually costing you somewhere in the ballpark of $2400-2600.Been there with my cobra so im speaking from experience. What if you need a new belt or pulley or feed & return line? Before you know it you have $2600-3k Into a used supercharger kit for it to be a 100% maintenance free power adder.

Yea i might be exaggerating slightly, but still not as big of an exaggeration of the said $1600 needed to have a complete nitrous kit...

I agree. the price was simply my NOS kit with nx supporting parts. Your right. you can have the same set up for cheaper using nitrous outlet or NOS parts, but in the end, depending on how much you use it, adding the price of bottles adds up quick. I spent 400$ on filling bottles in the first month or two of owning my nitrous kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online