Opinions on Nitrous

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I've been in blown nitrous and turbo cars , personally my intention was to go turbo this year but went with a vortech blower instead. At the end of the day like they said hp is hp ...

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
all have their positives and negatives. forced induction V8 mustang regardless ftw

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Huh, well I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just trying to say do what you want to do. There'll always be people, on a forum in particular, to tell you to do things different ways. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong, and sometimes they are just different. Pick the way you want to add the power, and have it. Then let us know what you think. That's all I was trying to say :)

Oh, and don't think you'll get THAT much better mpg with a turbo. I know the thought process behind it. But it's just so easy to turn up the boost a bit, and so hard to keep your foot out of the gas. Plus, on a larger engine with a turbo, there really isn't much savings in mpg. I bet a comparison between a turbo'd Mustang and S/C one regarding mpg, all else being equal (driving style, weight, mods, etc), will be about the same. I mean you REALLY have to keep it out of boost to see a savings in mpg. Just saying :)

Touche touche.. But I've read lots of reviews of an avg loss of about 2-4mpg with centri's lol. I know it's mainly dependent on that skinny pedal and your foot... But I still think that you can retain your mpg a little easier in a turbo. I've been rolling around recently in an 07 6.0 with an intake, tuner and exhaust on it... And o boy it's hard to keep my foot out of it LOL I was going up a hill tonight and I punched it... 24psi later and I was FLYING up that hill! And I know diesels get far better mileage if you can keep your damned foot out of it. Your on solid points tho man I see exactly what your sayin. And re read that initial post you made haha believe me it's got total sarcastic characteristics to it. If that wasn't sarcasm then boy I'd hate to see your legit sarcasm haha

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I had nitrous on my cobra, then went to a novi 2k and I just helped a buddy build a 5.4 turbo mustang.

As of right now my personal plan is to build a high compression nitrous friendly short block and hit it with a 200 shot .But I'm just worried about 1/8th and 1/4 track runs maybe 1 time a month 3 to 4 passes.

I consider that racing a lot, for someone who no longer street races on any given weekend like I used to.

Brandon123

Reaction score
When I had the stock motor in my cobra I had basic bolt ons and a 160 shot. My buddy also had a '96 cobra with a 5.0 stroker kit and a procharger with 10lbs of boost on it. He decided he wanted to see how he did on the highway against me one night so we lined them up on the interestate and started about 40mph. My car hit so hard, so instant, that by the time I ran out 4th gear I slowed down and started to pull over because I thought he had broke something on his car because he was so far behind. He then told me he was catching up with me and he would have caught me, until I told him I was slowing down to come back and get him. lol Also, if you are going through 10 bottles "a month or two" that's crazy... people who put that much nitrous through their stock engine wonder why it blows up and blames it on nitrous being dangerous.

OP If you plan on running it that hard then I suggest a blower or turbo only because it is alittle easier on the engine than 10 bottles of nitrous a month

shorty

Reaction score
how many times a year do you plan on filling your bottle, and how much is it to fill a bottle where you live?
last season i spent 300+ @ 50.00 a bottle on nitrous fills. and 250 on the kit. by the end of next season i could have bought an on3 kit or at least close to it.

just my .02

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I run my car quite frequently. I've had weeks where 5 out of 7 days I'm out running it. So good call maybe putting THAT much nitrous through the old engine may be a bad idea.. Hmmm..

And shorty it's about $50/fill maybe a tad less around here so that'll get pretty costly pretty fast lol. I'm beginning to think I should boost it... Then when I get the lower end built throw a 150 shot on it for my "just in case" race. Meaning if I go up against someone who's wayyy faster than me, then I flip the switch. That might be the smarter way for me. If I was a solid drag strip runner then it would be a no brainer, nitrous all the way.

Thanks for all the input guys

330CubeGt

Reaction score
5 out of 7 days, wtf Professional drag racers don't even race that often.

You race anything that moves on your daily commute or somthing?

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
LOL dude Frank there are literally hundreds of cars in my area to race every single day. When I had the money, I was all over it. It was addicting. All you to do is post on the local car groups on FB "anybody running tonight?" And you'll get tons of responses and end up on the highway. My first year out I did maybe 10 pulls all year. Last year I'd done as much as 10 pulls in a week haha

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Touche touche.. But I've read lots of reviews of an avg loss of about 2-4mpg with centri's lol. I know it's mainly dependent on that skinny pedal and your foot... But I still think that you can retain your mpg a little easier in a turbo. I've been rolling around recently in an 07 6.0 with an intake, tuner and exhaust on it... And o boy it's hard to keep my foot out of it LOL I was going up a hill tonight and I punched it... 24psi later and I was FLYING up that hill! And I know diesels get far better mileage if you can keep your damned foot out of it. Your on solid points tho man I see exactly what your sayin. And re read that initial post you made haha believe me it's got total sarcastic characteristics to it. If that wasn't sarcasm then boy I'd hate to see your legit sarcasm haha

Lol sorry about the sarcasm - I didn't really intend it, but then I am usually very sarcastic, so maybe that was me being non-sarcastic sarcastic. Sorry it came across that way! :)

Pitbull_SN95

Reaction score
I read the first post and a few others, but didn't read too far, so excuse me if it's been said already.

I love 03-04 Cobras, but don't usually like the people who own them because they always end up being a douche from my experience.
NOS? Why not some other brand? Just joking, I know you mean Nitrous, but NOS is a brand! Everyone has their opinion on the ON3 kit, and coming from a guy who owns a cobra, I'm sure a $2000 turbo kit is "junk", and hellion is "gawd". Hellion has issues with their kits, having to bend stuff, or modify your setup because of their piping. I've said it before, just don't expect anything to be bolt on and go other than plug wires or something simple. Nitrous will be your best option, if you're looking for the easiest install. A supercharger is a good route if you don't want piping, and having to deal with a turbo. You won't make as much power but it will be instant with a supercharger, which means it's rough on your transmission, rather than a turbo that isn't as brutal on your transmission.

Here's my opinion on pricing..

Nitrous - less than $1000 (+ Filling bottle)
Supercharger - Used SC with fuel pumps ready to bolt on around $1500
On 3 Turbo Kit - $2200 for complete kit, but add about $600 for supplies needed (fuel pumps, possible upgrades of v bands)

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya Justin totally man. Your running an On3 aren't you? Definitely tag me in your thread once you get it up and running because I'm really curious what your opinion on it will be, since your running it on a 2v like I intend to do. Weighing the pro's and con's I don't think nitrous is the way to go for me as a main power adder. I'm thinking down the road as a secondary I'll definitely add it, but it would just be too much hassle making sure it's ready to run, as well as having to fill bottles constantly lol. And as a part of your On3 price don't forget the K member which is pretty costly :) But I think that might be the way I'm gonna go. AT this point I'm not looking for anything over 400 since I have a stock lower end. Meaning the stock On3 components SHOULD be fine. If I decide I want a Tial down the road so be it, but right off the bat I'm only gonna change v bands and be done with it. You really can't beat the power for price. And with a few additional modifications to the kit it can be every bit as reliable as a Hellion IMO.

Some day it would be nice to have a nitrous only car... But at this point I don't think that's the route for me

Pitbull_SN95

Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya Justin totally man. Your running an On3 aren't you? Definitely tag me in your thread once you get it up and running because I'm really curious what your opinion on it will be, since your running it on a 2v like I intend to do. Weighing the pro's and con's I don't think nitrous is the way to go for me as a main power adder. I'm thinking down the road as a secondary I'll definitely add it, but it would just be too much hassle making sure it's ready to run, as well as having to fill bottles constantly lol. And as a part of your On3 price don't forget the K member which is pretty costly :) But I think that might be the way I'm gonna go. AT this point I'm not looking for anything over 400 since I have a stock lower end. Meaning the stock On3 components SHOULD be fine. If I decide I want a Tial down the road so be it, but right off the bat I'm only gonna change v bands and be done with it. You really can't beat the power for price. And with a few additional modifications to the kit it can be every bit as reliable as a Hellion IMO.

Some day it would be nice to have a nitrous only car... But at this point I don't think that's the route for me

I'm not running ON3 yet and I haven't even ordered it. I plan on it at the end of this month or beginning of next. I will be replacing the WG/BOV and will be using a MP turbo only because I'm shooting for 650+hp. I think at around 400, the stock ON3 system will work just fine.

RichV

Reaction score
The other thing to ad to this debate...

How many people on here run nitrous/sc/turbo?

I bet the turbo camp is far smaller then the other two. And I bet they have gobs of cash in the complete systems versus the other 2. Just sayin'.

copmagnet

Reaction score
When I had the stock motor in my cobra I had basic bolt ons and a 160 shot. My buddy also had a '96 cobra with a 5.0 stroker kit and a procharger with 10lbs of boost on it. He decided he wanted to see how he did on the highway against me one night so we lined them up on the interestate and started about 40mph. My car hit so hard, so instant, that by the time I ran out 4th gear I slowed down and started to pull over because I thought he had broke something on his car because he was so far behind. He then told me he was catching up with me and he would have caught me, until I told him I was slowing down to come back and get him. lol Also, if you are going through 10 bottles "a month or two" that's crazy... people who put that much nitrous through their stock engine wonder why it blows up and blames it on nitrous being dangerous.

OP If you plan on running it that hard then I suggest a blower or turbo only because it is alittle easier on the engine than 10 bottles of nitrous a month

Considering one bottle lasts maybe 4 ish runs...

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Just curious. Have you ever been in a properly setup centri car?

Not yet, no. I will in the spring when my buddy and I finish up his 01.

I've always been a turbo guy. I know damned well if I decide to go with a centri I'll have that regret and "What if I went turbo" in the back of my head. Besides...... I like the road less traveled. Will I end up spending more in the long run? Of course. But if I like it, then it matters not. :)

But no in all honesty I'm definitely excited to ride in his 01 when we finish it. It's always been his dream to have one on his car and I'm glad he finally got one. It'll be fun to ride in to say the least.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I'm all for turbo's man, they are wild. They just aren't for everybody. Was just wondering since you are against centri's for what reason. A lot of guys go for a ride in a stock 4.6 with an S trim at 8psi and base their experience off that lol. When I go WOT with mine, the converter flashes and I see about 10-12 psi right off the pedal, so if setup correctly "lag" won't be an issue with a centri.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Lag isn't the issue. Centri's aren't as daily friendly (basing this purely off 2 PROPERLY setup, setups. 1 turbo, 1 centri), they drop your mileage 2-3mpg(avg), which I drive it 9 months out of the year so the more mpg I can save the better in the long run. Centris are harder on transmissions, I have 145k, I know it's gonna blow up eventually, but I'd really like to prolong it a little. Centri's take away the "sleeper" status (not really a huge deal for me since I have a black 00R hood on a silver car lol, but still how many fools you see driving around with big cowl hoods and hood pins, then bone stock under the hood?).

I do like the fact that they are easier to install, cost less, and you don't have to change your exhaust. But they just aren't really for me when turbo is an option. I'd slap a centri on my Jeep in a heatbeat if I could, and the Jeep wasn't ****ed up lol. But I just really want a turbo. Like I said my buddy just put a PSC1 (I think?) on his. We just finished mounting the intercooler where he wants it. All he needs is injectors and pump and I'm sure he'll take it out before spring to get it tuned. Nothing against them, they just aren't my thing. I guess I'm "that guy" among mustangers who doesn't like them. Because 99.999999% of mustang guys associate power with a procharger or vortech or paxton. Glad everyone else makes power with them but I'd like to do something different that I know I would like more myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.