Project Red Headed 3v

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
WOW, just wow...
Is that a CNC router I see?
Love the rack with all the rolls in one place neat and clean, I really need to up my cleanliness when playing with fiber.
17" wheels with Brembo's? I am an old fool. Mine are not for sale anymore!
I have lots of brake kits to try now.
What coating did you use in the back section? will it last?
Are you using a stock steering rack?
Wish I was there to pick apart new ideas

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
WOW, just wow...
Is that a CNC router I see?
Love the rack with all the rolls in one place neat and clean, I really need to up my cleanliness when playing with fiber.
17" wheels with Brembo's? I am an old fool. Mine are not for sale anymore!
I have lots of brake kits to try now.
What coating did you use in the back section? will it last?
Are you using a stock steering rack?
Wish I was there to pick apart new ideas

It is a cncrouter. Its a small chinese 3040z, but i’ll probly be upgrading to a 24”x55” version early next year.

The composite “rack” really helps keep things organized. With over 30 different fabrics, weaves and random other stuff (many of which arent on the wall) keeping it organized is a chore.

The brembo’s do fit a 17” wheel with some slight mods to the calipers and with custom brackets (I designed and then 3D printed my own brackets in Solidworks. I am waiting in my machinist to cut the brackets and then they go to the anodizer)

The rear coating is from Master Series, they have an aluminumized primer that supposedly is 100% water and moisture proof to stop/prevent rust, then a “chassis black” that goes over it as a UV protectant.
It had the best reviews for rust prevention/proofer and it wasnt cheap (it was the most expensive) and the website had some pretty good claims, so i bought a quart kit, which did the entire underside with some of both left over.

Yup, stock steering rack. A previous owner had an affinity for rattle canning random shit for some reason.... the tailshaft housing of the trans is rattle can black to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
HHmmm...
Here is my take, 2 Ford rotors are 28 pounds each, add in brackets and calipers and hoses and my boxed set ready to ship is 88 pounds. Even using the lightest one piece rotors I could find brought the total down from 56 to 44 pounds for the rotors. Now if you used a 2 piece setup it would be lower but not by much because the width of the calipers is made for a thick rotor and the car it is made to stop is 4500 pounds. I went though several pad selections trying to match the cold bite of the Hawk HP+ pads that I was used to. On the track the highest rotor temp I could get was less than 500 degreese. The stock Ford pad worked the best for cold grab but they are really dirty and track time requires the windows down. The Ford dust burns your eyes and sweaty skin more than any other pad I tried so between the unsprung weight that is a cubed function for the front end suspension and having a car that was too light and slow to generate the heat to make pads work I went back to the Cobra PBR front and rear set up. Now all this could be moot if you do your twin turbo engine and are trying to stop from 150 MPH. I have a S197 front set up to try but a smaller thinner rotor would be better If I can make the system fit 17" wheels. A light 17" wheel & tire combination with PBR's is the lightest set up I can find without spending crazy money.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
HHmmm...
Here is my take, 2 Ford rotors are 28 pounds each, add in brackets and calipers and hoses and my boxed set ready to ship is 88 pounds. Even using the lightest one piece rotors I could find brought the total down from 56 to 44 pounds for the rotors. Now if you used a 2 piece setup it would be lower but not by much because the width of the calipers is made for a thick rotor and the car it is made to stop is 4500 pounds. I went though several pad selections trying to match the cold bite of the Hawk HP+ pads that I was used to. On the track the highest rotor temp I could get was less than 500 degreese. The stock Ford pad worked the best for cold grab but they are really dirty and track time requires the windows down. The Ford dust burns your eyes and sweaty skin more than any other pad I tried so between the unsprung weight that is a cubed function for the front end suspension and having a car that was too light and slow to generate the heat to make pads work I went back to the Cobra PBR front and rear set up. Now all this could be moot if you do your twin turbo engine and are trying to stop from 150 MPH. I have a S197 front set up to try but a smaller thinner rotor would be better If I can make the system fit 17" wheels. A light 17" wheel & tire combination with PBR's is the lightest set up I can find without spending crazy money.

I forgot what pad i have, but ita not a motorcraft pad, its some “blue” pad.....

I’ve got brackets designed and waiting for machining to put the cobra PBR calipers on the IRS, but im going to wait to see how the brembo setup works before i go about losing the e-brake.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I went with PBR's front and rear and I like the set up grip, very even without a proportioning valve. As far as the parking brake I put in a 1/4 turn valve in place of the Ford set up and tore out all the crap for the parking brake and is was a big amount of metal compared to a 3 oz valve. Now I just step on the brake and turn the valve and the rear brakes are locked on, much stronger than the stock system.
IMG_0838-D.jpg

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I went with PBR's front and rear and I like the set up grip, very even without a proportioning valve. As far as the parking brake I put in a 1/4 turn valve in place of the Ford set up and tore out all the crap for the parking brake and is was a big amount of metal compared to a 3 oz valve. Now I just step on the brake and turn the valve and the rear brakes are locked on, much stronger than the stock system.
IMG_0838-D.jpg

Thats basically what i had intended for the parking brake, i was going to use an aircraft valve though.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I need someone to design me a proper bracket to fit my 2015 calipers!!! Hint hint...... lol

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I need someone to design me a proper bracket to fit my 2015 calipers!!! Hint hint...... lol

I got some of those calipers..... it looks like my bracket will work with some slight caliper and spindle mods.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I got some of those calipers..... it looks like my bracket will work with some slight caliper and spindle mods.

I wouldn’t be mad at ya if you took the time to mess with it one day!!! Lol

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be mad at ya if you took the time to mess with it one day!!! Lol

Once i get the machined bracket for the brembo’s, im planning to double check that they will work with the S550’s.

As for my bracket, they require a 3/16” wheel spacer, some grinding of the lower spindle tab (on the rotor side) and tapping of the same hole. The drill bit, tap and hardware is damn near $200.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
VCT solenoid delete plugs were machined and pressed into the valve covers. I also converted the PCV and breather setup to 8AN orb fittings

deda058b4738151ef33b2b507136ad2b.jpg

6a6f5b5d48d40edc87ef8083975a0359.jpg

Cleaned up all the loose blue paint and shot some VHT wrinkle black on:

096ca6e2bf12efd45584d042a4ec6183.jpg

2608406e016cf6c728d072136aca123b.jpg

Pulled the engine harness and laid it out so i can wire tuck it under the intake, reroute everything and wrap it all in techflex:

dcd9c459a33aa043ce28274233292cd4.jpg

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
The engine wiring harness was then layed out on a table so i could start prepping it to be opened, tucked and modified for a cleaner install on the 3v.

e96f814029172f0966a124c215e4e216.jpg

9d915f9ceec5c54b2fc3546b3d3c87b8.jpg

e5b5162304002dfbbaa7df5a01f344bb.jpg

I then separates the ignition coil and injector wiring so i could tuck them under the fuel rail. I also replaced the stock injector connectors with Ev6 injector connectors by crimping on new pins. The FRPS sensor wiring was shortened and re-routed to the rear passenger side.
All of the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor (its being rerouted to the passenger side), AC compressor, TPS, IAC and IAT sensors are getting routed below the intake. The only sensor wiring that will be routed along the front of the motor will be the oil pressure sender, camshaft, crankshaft and AC compressor. The engine harness ground, coolant temp and ignition noise supressors will also be under the intake.

Here are a few photos of the progress on that.

6a39ebd289a59ca93e5ac8e616415d7f.jpg

2ca88776eb4525c56b665e2de1947b00.jpg

faa316d57b9aacbb897c28069ab08748.jpg

96b9bf6dba395c973e0d458c6935f7ea.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I hate that tubing crap and the 20 yr old tape is never better. What are you going to cover the wires with? Techflex or tesa tape or a combination of the two is the best. I have just never liked paying that much for a roll of tape myself but great stuff.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I hate that tubing crap and the 20 yr old tape is never better. What are you going to cover the wires with? Techflex or tesa tape or a combination of the two is the best. I have just never liked paying that much for a roll of tape myself but great stuff.

Techflex mostly..

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Tess tape?!?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online