Project Red Headed 3v

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Well i got the engine and trans installed today. I’ll finish up the wire tuck with it all in the car since it’ll help keep things organized as an installation package.

362508d551cf50fa7d7d9065729e9224.jpg

0434e5a25950a7a5e881da957ca9a4a2.jpg

266925d6eca18175a6da95d26d5284fa.jpg

3012e6d443495fc875546051ba9e7cf9.jpg

my machinist buddy also sent me a photo of one of my brake brackets in “process” of getting machined. I am really excited to get these since they are the last item needed for the brakes.

db4b324c1b76abce35dc8a322c378f56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Other than lengthening the TPS wiring. The wire tuck is basically done.

5068740410fcbc685cafc3c7079f612a.jpg

ae611968fba888985bf46676fee9e91c.jpg

4b7414d11d55002f9a16705fce93b558.jpg

707b7d2da84fefd4513763d1c92506f7.jpg

d717a9e208bc33a23b5af703631e5d6c.jpg

c5da26c1b3dd56aece611fdaa8b7104f.jpg

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Got the TPS wires extended and then used some vulcanizing tape to attach some christmas tree tabs onto the main connector bundle along the firewall.

Now once i figure out how to get the IAC mounted nicely i can do the last wire.

731a2f600ea61576c37346543eabd00d.jpg

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Looking great! I like that your air intake tube will be up front to keep the clean panel showing on the passenger side of the engine bay

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Looking great! I like that your air intake tube will be up front to keep the clean panel showing on the passenger side of the engine bay

Thanks!

Im still debating what im going to do with the air intake. Originally i planned to do a camaro style top mouny setup, but thats not possible without removing a large part of the hood inner structure and/or notching the core support for the intake tube.

I’d still like to do that, but i may just have it put a hole through the inner fender.

The top of the core support did get scratched a little putting the engine in, so notching it may be more likely since i would touchup the scratches and paint the notch, i just need to see how much notching is needed.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Thanks!

Im still debating what im going to do with the air intake. Originally i planned to do a camaro style top mouny setup, but thats not possible without removing a large part of the hood inner structure and/or notching the core support for the intake tube.

I’d still like to do that, but i may just have it put a hole through the inner fender.

The top of the core support did get scratched a little putting the engine in, so notching it may be more likely since i would touchup the scratches and paint the notch, i just need to see how much notching is needed.

There's lots of options but I think the best solution to your problem would be to use two turbos with screens up front to filter the air properly and secure the intake tubing (you've got plenty of room) lol.

In all seriousness, I think I remember your long term plan was a twin turbo setup. Hope to see it unfold but I know I'm slow on pulling the trigger on something like that due to the cost.

Keep the updates coming man!

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
There's lots of options but I think the best solution to your problem would be to use two turbos with screens up front to filter the air properly and secure the intake tubing (you've got plenty of room) lol.

In all seriousness, I think I remember your long term plan was a twin turbo setup. Hope to see it unfold but I know I'm slow on pulling the trigger on something like that due to the cost.

Keep the updates coming man!

Doin a twin turbo setup is still on the radar, but the simplicity of just keeping if NA with some Cams is enticing. Throwing a department of boost roots blower setup on it is tempting to, but i can twin turbo it for less.

Hardest part of this entire thing is keeping the entire package tidy. The AC plumbing isnt even done yey either. [emoji1751]‍[emoji3603]

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Doin a twin turbo setup is still on the radar, but the simplicity of just keeping if NA with some Cams is enticing. Throwing a department of boost roots blower setup on it is tempting to, but i can twin turbo it for less.

Hardest part of this entire thing is keeping the entire package tidy. The AC plumbing isnt even done yey either. [emoji1751]‍[emoji3603]

Keeping all the comfortable accessories like AC is difficult to keep clean but I'm sure you will keep it looking nice.

I just have the stage one comp cams in mine and it's so reliable to drive daily that it makes it more difficult to mess with further. I feel like if you're not using your car to race the 1/4 or 1/8th that cams are pretty satisfying knowing it will drive close to a stock vehicle. Things change though, that's part of the fun

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Keeping all the comfortable accessories like AC is difficult to keep clean but I'm sure you will keep it looking nice.

I just have the stage one comp cams in mine and it's so reliable to drive daily that it makes it more difficult to mess with further. I feel like if you're not using your car to race the 1/4 or 1/8th that cams are pretty satisfying knowing it will drive close to a stock vehicle. Things change though, that's part of the fun

Yea i hear ya, cams make the car feel cooler. Ive pretty much decided to put a pair of brenspeed’s Detroit Rockers in this one. The overlap that gives it that lope isnt the greatest for a turbo setup, but im not going to max power and i can makeup for the pitfalls of increased spool time by running a smaller turbine housing.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Prototype brackets for the Gt500 brembo’s arrived and everything fits exactly as i had hoped. The other good news is, these will also work with S550 calipers with a slight clearancing of the upper bolt ear on the caliper itself.

As for the modifications for All brake calipers, the lower ear on the spindle needs drilled and tapped for a M16x2 bolt (the factory hole is to large to tap for a M12 and M14). This same ear also needs the outer surface tapered to clear the caliper.
The upper ear needs its aft edge trimmed/ground down enough for the bolt holes to line up (the bracket is tapped to reuse a factory bolt in this location).

Total wheel spacer thickness needed is only 3/16”.

These are still inside of a 17” FR500 wheel and have ample clearance.

a13c62628a119cb5165132c53086f395.jpg

982abc7ec27bd6b70558a686827ebef8.jpg

a275aff4baaa0ee4e151690b80fe0daa.jpg

a234c08c45cd081d055bc0293c272e90.jpg

49df6764ac6612bb387a337f00fca113.jpg

Also got the ECT sensor relocated to under the intake in one of the heater core lines:

17d0b6011e46bcadf8cb3c9c51d4a0ec.jpg

Painted the radiator brackets with wrinkle black and got the radiator installed. I still need to clean and likely repaint the cooling fan. Im also trying to determine how i want to do the upper radiator hoses. I’ll likely end up having to get something custom made.

4031695c5ecd646cd8536a8452628539.jpg

I also cleaned and painted the Throttle body. The accell ignition coils were also painted just to get rid of the ugly yellow until i get some oem replacements. I also wrapped the visible portion of clutch cable in vulcanizing tape and techflex so the cable didnt stand out.

4af0c516d184a976297eb4ed593e24aa.jpg

ab1befe4265956107552fc1745cd5a31.jpg

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Now that upgrade training at work is completed, i can get back to doing some fun stuff. Until i get the heater for the garage though, im limited on what im willing to do, so i only spend a few hours down there at a time at most.

Anyways, i figured i would get some partially completely tasks done.

First up was getting the the AN hydroboost lines hooked up to the power steering pump. Since Ford power steering pumps are kind of hit or miss on reliability, i elected to make an hose barb to AN adapter for the inlet so its easier to replace the pump if/when needed:

e88bc038fb6b17b6ffbd5f5ee9d30592.jpg

8b8c1f0641f50ea35bb1c00c5d4c063b.jpg

I also got the fuel line made up. I used a 5/16” quick connect to 6am adapter (its labeled as a chevy LS part) to convert the factor steel line to AN. I also found a 6AN female/male adapter that had a 1/8” NPT port in the middle for a fuel pressure gauge, i bought that and installed the autometer electric Fuel pressure sending unit in that. The fuel rail adapter is a aeromotive part (1/2” i think) hopefully it doesnt leak, ive seen some reports of them not sealing properly... if it doesnt, i’ll just pull the fuel rail and have a place weld a steel 6AN male adapter to the factory rail.

eb8e456de1c703f60585e12e1bb2c6cd.jpg

I also finished the heater core hose adapter setup that mounts the factory water temp sender under the intake and converts it over to 12AN to adapt to the MMR coolant crossover AN conversion adapter plates:

da027203394d2e65047612c86f2e4dbf.jpg

Then i decided to start making decisions on how to do the upper radiator hoses.

currently i have the MMR 1 1/2” barb to dual -12AN Y block with the radiator fill cap on it and a Moroso inline thermostat housing. It works, but its kind of ugly.

Originally, i had planned to get the On3 coolant crossover delete for a 4V and use their thermostat housing, but they wont answer emails about buying the housing separately and i would still have to put a radiator fill cap someplace. Those things with 12AN male fittings run $90-150, so not exactly the cheapest option. The on3 thermostat housing would likely be in the way of the CAI and future turbo plumbing anyways, so i have essentially ruled that out.

The third option, was to buy a 96-04 3 core v6 aluminum radiator, but those are proving nearly impossible to find and the price is still pretty steep.

Option 4 is basically the same as above, except a 94-95 v8 radiator with 12an bungs welded on. Easier to find, but the mounts are different and still not cheap.

Option 5, which is likely what i’ll use..

Keep the current setup, get both the Y block and thermostat housing parts anodized black and purchase some 3ply Silicon parts to make up the upper radiator hose. Then i’ll make up some sort of bracket to hold it in place above the cooling fan and the eventual CF core support cover im planning on will be extra wide along the top to cover all of the radiator hose.

Here’s a photo showing a mock up:

4e186b49877e9157537bc37868471fd3.jpg

i also picked up a Lokar midnight series flexible dipstick. It fits horrible as delivered in the “correct length”. The braided AN tube was 5” to long and there was no way it would ever fit into the engine block following the factork dipstick tube routing without shortening it and/or disassembling it and putting the engine block piece in first... but, it works after shortening and doesnt stand out like the yellow handle. LoL. Its a good thing the fuse box is out of the way.

147ece060e8d873295961f5e1e779077.jpg

I also picked up the Redline Tuning quicklift Plus hood struts and installed those. No pictures on that yet though.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
The car is really shaping up. Nice work man

Thanks!

Hopefully some turbo parts will start arriving early next year. Im kind of torn on if i want to bother with that (i have other projects i could use the money towards) or just throw some cams and longtubes at it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Go ahead and turbo it. You know you really want to hear that sound all the time.

And the power is a nice added bonus!!!!! Lol

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Go ahead and turbo it. You know you really want to hear that sound all the time.

And the power is a nice added bonus!!!!! Lol

Oh i do!

Theres a whole other set of problems with that...

Twins or single (about a $700 price difference)

Then if i do twins, do i cut and modify the hood liner (where the hood latch would be) so that the piping from the intercooler runs above the core support (kind of like the camaro before the new generation)..

I think the throttle body to intercooler pipe would look pretty cool running forward, but thats Alot of work and would require a custom made pipe, likely one that is oval and it would be a tight radius to make the curve.
Then there is the hassle of the mass air flow sensor and needing to be in a undisturbed straight section of pipe ideally....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.