Project Red Headed 3v

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
I don't know if they use the same electronics, but the slot style gives a much cleaner signal. It's less prone to issues with backwash. They work better in a blow through set up. Which is what you want to run with a turbo or centri.
I had the pleasure of doing a series of interviews with Chris Richards from Pro-M Racing. Is a slot style meter better than a tonsil style Mass Air Meter answered by Chris Richards.
start video at the 5:00

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of doing a series of interviews with Chris Richards from Pro-M Racing. Is a slot style meter better than a tonsil style Mass Air Meter answered by Chris Richards.

One persons opinion, as is always yours.

Plenty of tuners over the years have stated the issues they’ve seen otherwise and when switched to a slot style the situation improved dramatically. This is real world experience coming into play.

Every situation can see different results. If you want to state an “opinion” please do. Just keep in mind that many find that you come in and always try to state what you “think” to be the only answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Reaction score

Man, I bit into that one hook line and sinker didn't I? glad I gave you a chance to push your video. Yes, I watched it, I stopped when he started talking about the design one of his guys came up with.

So your response to my actual experience is to post a video of a guy getting asked questions off a piece of paper. The reminds me of someone else that use to fly the Kenne Bell flag pretty hard, even though he didn't use any of their products.

At this point I'll be quiet as we've already taken up too much of this gentleman's build thread.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Man, I bit into that one hook line and sinker didn't I? glad I gave you a chance to push your video. Yes, I watched it, I stopped when he started talking about the design one of his guys came up with.

So your response to my actual experience is to post a video of a guy getting asked questions off a piece of paper. The reminds me of someone else that use to fly the Kenne Bell flag pretty hard, even though he didn't use any of their products.

At this point I'll be quiet as we've already taken up too much of this gentleman's build thread.

Suuucker! LOL...

I was waiting for someone to “plug” a product.

I take peoples opinions for a grain of salt, but when its a manufacturers “data” that is only being proven in a theoretical since (such as only on paper) and not real world scenario’s and then conveniently “plugs” their product in as being the “fix” for a paper bound problem..... yea, i dont even give them much of a grain of salt.

I’m all to familiar with the headaches of draw thru and blow through with the stock style MAF. Everyone i have seen switching to the slot has had much less problems and get better driveability out of it.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Way back when I was using an LMAF in draw through. The car was horrible to drive. I swapped to blow through and even without tweaking the tune I was still amazed how much better the car drove.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Havent done much due to a lack of motivation. But i have done some wire extensions and rewrapping with techflex of the cooling fan, ac pressure switch and the IAC. That essentially finishes all but one of the wiring items (Maf/iat conversion to slot style). No pictures though.

I cut the notch out of the hood for the CAI and even with all my measuring, a 3 1/2” round tube wont allow the hood to close completely. So, im going to change the cai tube to be full oval from the throttle body past the 100* bend where it goes over the core support. This should give me the clearance i need... still no photos yet though.

The brakes are all bled and working (may have mentioned thay already?) and all of the engine accessories/pullies have been cleaned, painted and reinstalled as well as the belt. The AC compressor im going to replace later on, so it got ignored.

I also printed up the shifter boot bushing pieces ao the boot fits over the shifter handle like the stock setup.... but i have lost my shift knob.

I also ordered some matte orange/tangerine/sunset material and did a poor job of vinyl wrapping the radio bezel. This stuff was CHEAP (like $7 for 12”x36”) and doesnt stick for crap, so im using it to determine if i like the look of the body color radio bezel. I typically dont like stuff like this, but i think the shifter and radio bezel painted body color will add some excitement and break up the monotiny of dark charcoal.

f661a11216443143a13b195748b941ac.jpg

ba85b5acf65db9e33052f76ccc456bde.jpg

I also finally got around to getting some TPU filament (flexible polyurethane) for my 3D printer. I have always despised my upr coilover setup bc the sleeves fit like shit with an 1/8” difference between the strut tube outer diameter and the coilover sleeve inner diameter. So i pulled up solidworks, drew some spacers and printed them out of the TPU filament. They were a firm press fit that was able to be accomplished by hand onto the strut and then using a mini prybar to press them into the coilover sleeve.

They seem like they will work great as there is Zero slop now.

b8d5dac737fe403d1816c36ffadd7515.jpg

14ce4c1189f4e67708b4039018f782be.jpg

8e4955f79dd904bdbd2b28e672999dc5.jpg

01yellercobra

Reaction score
What would it take to get you to make another of those shifter boot bushings? Mine seems to have disappeared.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
What would it take to get you to make another of those shifter boot bushings? Mine seems to have disappeared.

Once my little printer is complete with the production run of parts its doing for a customer, i’ll throw them on it for ya.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
just saw this build. nice work!!!! what kind of shift knob and color are you going to put on there with the wrapped bezel?

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
just saw this build. nice work!!!! what kind of shift knob and color are you going to put on there with the wrapped bezel?

No idea... theres a black leather w/ orange stitching generic one on ebau for like $25 that looks ok in the ebay ad.

I dont really like the novelty round balls, t handles, etc as i just find them uncomfortable.

I have thought of possibly 3D printing my own and wrapping it in the CF embossed vinyl i have, but that seems like to much work.

A 10th anniversary knob like i had in my last car would be awesome, but i havent seen one of those for under $100, so thats not happening. Lol

So honestly

Nooo clue.

Got any. Suggestions?

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
so you don't like the round knobs that are not leather...you like something more traditional to like a cobra and "softer" rather than the round?

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
so you don't like the round knobs that are not leather...you like something more traditional to like a cobra and "softer" rather than the round?

Exactly.

The knob i have lost was a mint leather one.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I will look around my parts stuff, I may still have the one that was on my Cobra when I got it.

OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Some updates engine bay photos.

85eb7bfffba7337e185bcd19c423709d.jpg

b6de7e438893ac94d86433b33c4f5dc2.jpg

Here is the cutout in the hood for the CAI:

492a5e42542b424a1cb98da8bab88c03.jpg

And the distance ( 1 1/2” ) the hood still has to go to close:

d8b2c0f228e0d5a894f6e70ac10af8f8.jpg

Slowly things are getting there. I took all the old AC lines off the red car and cut the flex hoses portions off since those hoses leaked and i needed portions of them to adapt for the AN braided AC lines. After looking at it, i think im just going to buy factory replacement lines. Most of the aluminum tube ends i have are nicked to the point that i believe the nicks are where they are leaking. That would mean having to spend $200 on replacement OE hoses and then another $200+ on AN hose and fittings. So by the time i replace all the hoses, Compressor/clutch and the Compressor discharge manifold (which is proving near impossible to find for a pre-2000 model car) i’ll be into the AC system around $800+.

I dont like the idea of having the ugly stock AC lines in place, but it may just have to be something i learn to live with.

Either way, AC Isnt a priority at the moment, so im not to worried about it.

AStangThang

Reaction score
Holy crap! How come I haven't found this before now. Im in, and the healine reminds me of a title Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford's used back in the day on a ported NPI 2v build they did. I want to say it was called the redheaded stepchild also

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thomas_W

Reaction score
The new cold air intake has been printed and fits perfectly. Once i get the CF braided sleeve and shrink tape, i’ll wrap it so it will be done. I also ordered everything needes for the Slot style Maf conversion, dropped off the driveshaft to be shortened, ordered the AN crankcase breather tank and plumbing and a ton of other stuff. Basically everything needed to get the car driveable again. The plan is to get it moving under its own power by the end of the month bc i need to get it out of the garage for some composite projects.

7ed269b6a7ba61a3f82b4b8d11985659.jpg

d5c237b1f4c4a9c037ea22fc50042b12.jpg

36c4703c7d507d7c8048f896a8792605.jpg

8adfa066b488439483975e46c6903060.jpg

1bc3369ec3f4df880ca6a398e7a3bed0.jpg

I also started playing around in Solidworks to make up my own center caps for the FR500’s with my own business logo.

9199ec1cc4622d43fe70b6b9a5e868fe.jpg

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That's awesome man, gonna look even better in carbon. You did some great work that nobody is going to be able to replicate!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online