Reuse head bolts.

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by TT94SVT, Apr 20, 2015.

1. TT94SVT

TT94SVT Member

UPDATE: I ended up going with some ARP head BOLTS not studs. barely cost anymore than fel pro bolts and are reusable. So far the bolts have been holding up with all the boost no problem. I would highly recommend them.

2. CC'S95GT

CC'S95GT Legend

some you can and some you can't.
    I don't believe the stock head bolts can be reused but aftermarket ones like ARP can

3. ttocs

ttocs Legend

if you can afford it and can pick some up then I would say do it right and don't worry about it later. I think you only need one bolt to break off one time and get to fish it out before you understand what you save when you spend cash like that.

4. TT94SVT

TT94SVT Member

Thanks I never really knew how much went into these bolts

5. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Man, any time I go into an engine that has TTY bolts I like to throw that crap away and replace it with ARP head studs. That way if I am ever in there again, I don't have to worry about if my bolts are going to hold or not. I know its kind or a hard pill to swallow at first, but for the insurance, its definitely worth it.

6. ttocs

ttocs Legend

I had one bolt break on me years ago where the lower attached to the head since they didn't put RTV on it and it goes into a coolant passage. IT snapped when I tried to take it out and was so rusted you could not tell what was what. I tried a few different types of easy-out bits(probably cost close to $100 for all 3 when it was said an done) and in the end replaced the heads to fix it. So a good bolt back then would have saved me 6-10 hrs of time running to get the bits and trying them out, like I said I think over $100 for the bits and then finally I was happy to find summit had trickflow heads on sale for a grand.

So yes while bolts seem like a simple and stupid little detail but those little details will bit you in the ass.

7. CC'S95GT

CC'S95GT Legend

No doubt. Was the broken bolt one of the origional bolts or was it one that was reused.
    New head bolts are semi cheap insurance.

8. ttocs

ttocs Legend

I think it might have been an original stock bolt as my mother drove it for the first 9 yrs we had it. I think the water pump was replaced but other then that the car was rarely in repair and was probably never stripped down to the heads.. After that one bold I learned my lesson and I am not cheeping out on fasteners. I am putting my motor back together now with grade8(brand name) locking header bolts and I am using boss stainless studs for the valve covers. To mount the upper to the lower I got a 6ft long grade 5(strength rating not brand) heat treated threaded rod and cut them to length because no one makes a stud kit for the upper to the lower if you running a spacer between them.. Now for my lower intake when it came out I pulled out some arp 12 point fasteners and after a close inspection there was no corrosion or problems with them so I cleaned them up and put them back in

9. TT94SVT

TT94SVT Member

I've had two bolts snap on me from the lower intake manifold and get stuck in the head. Actually happened to both heads at different times. But there is a local machine shop near me that got it out both times for unbelievably cheap.

10. RichV

RichV Well-Known Member

Have the heads checked, most likely warped. The TTY head bolts can be seen on the threads where they yield. IIRC the latter year 5.0s had TTY.

11. TT94SVT

TT94SVT Member

I have already had the heads checked and they are not warped

12. DavidBoren

DavidBoren Active Member

Isn't it like $350 to replace about every major bolt, dowel, and pin with quality ARP hardware? That's head studs, main studs, rod bolts, fuel pump eccentric pin, and every other miscellaneous fastener you desire. That's not too bad when you consider that it's a one time purchase, and the peace of mind should help lessen the perceived blow to the bank account.

13. Doodler

Doodler New Member

This. Might as well do it right the first time. Or you'll end up doing it right the second.

14. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

If it were me I'd just go with ARP bolts just to do it while you're there.

15. ttocs

ttocs Legend

You only have to chase one broken bolt before you don't even consider putting cheap bolts back in. Been there done that....

16. TT94SVT

TT94SVT Member

With the amount of times I have had this engine apart I'm glad I went with ARP bolts. I always thought ARP only made studs, but the bolts are easy and have worked great for me so far

17. Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6 Well-Known Member

Debating on studs or bolts for mine. 'Built' 2v, NA at first...but boosted later.

Suggestions?

18. TT94SVT

TT94SVT Member

Bolts are really easy to do. Studs at least on my car would require the engine to be jacked up so the heads can clear the brake booster

19. Tally_4.6

Tally_4.6 Well-Known Member

Good point.

20. bmcgc

bmcgc Member

The issue with reusing head bolts is that they stretch. A stretched bolt may bottom out especially if the hole isn't 100% clean.
    If you are going to reuse head bolts, put a washer under them.