Reuse head bolts.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if the bolt is stretched out that badly I then I would hazard to say that a washer is just begging to start paying your tuition to teach you how to do it right... After the washer then of course you will need some good drill bits and if your lucky an easy-out and replacement bolts(surely now you will not go cheap) and a few hours will be getting away cheap and easy.

So even if you don't have any extra tools/parts to buy then how much is your time worth cursing at a cheap mistake?

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
if the bolt is stretched out that badly I then I would hazard to say that a washer is just begging to start paying your tuition to teach you how to do it right... After the washer then of course you will need some good drill bits and if your lucky an easy-out and replacement bolts(surely now you will not go cheap) and a few hours will be getting away cheap and easy.

So even if you don't have any extra tools/parts to buy then how much is your time worth cursing at a cheap mistake?
Sometimes you have more time than money. sometimes you have more money than time. I still think the arp bolts are a deal I found a set for $50 and have been holding up to various levels boost for about 500 miles, and keep in mind these are hard driven miles as this car is not a daily driver

toyman

Reaction score
The issue with reusing head bolts is that they stretch. A stretched bolt may bottom out especially if the hole isn't 100% clean.
If you are going to reuse head bolts, put a washer under them.

If one is using TTY (torque to yield) bolts, they can't be reliably used again. Putting washers under the bolt head is not recommended.

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Even if they're ARP bolts, just wondering if studs or bolts would be the better option.

lol

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Even if they're ARP bolts, just wondering if studs or bolts would be the better option.

lol
One of the main differences between head bolts and head studs involves the methods used to put together or repair an engine. Higher-end head studs that have been specially designed within exact tolerances are capable of securely positioning the head gasket and cylinders with near-perfect alignment. This feature makes it easier to assemble an engine using head studs. However, head bolts are far more convenient for disassembling an automobile engine or for performing maintenance, such as part replacement. Many everyday-use vehicles have master cylinders or other components that extend into the engine compartment. Under these specifications, head bolts allow the cylinders to be removed without removing the entire engine from the car, as is necessary with head studs.
In other words, head studs are better suited for high-performance vehicles with greater power requirements, while head bolts are more practical for personal, everyday automobiles. Therefore, it would be inaccurate to conclude that one type of fastener is categorically superior to the other. Rather, the preference depends on the automobile in question and the ways in which it will be put to use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online