Selt belt not retracting all the way

96S281

Reaction score
On my 96 S281 the drivers seat belt won't retract all the way. I am looking to take the panels off to get to the seat belt, I need to know how to take the panels off any help would be great. Thanks

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I believe you have to take out the rear seat. Then IIRC you have to take out the top trim that goes over the door, then you can get at the trim that goes around the quarter window?

So far these are the only picture of mine I've found that might be helpful. Have fun :)

I41Xl9wl.jpg

LQStE6Gl.jpg

(Passenger side)
cRkFGbZl.jpg

SVTstang96

Reaction score
If you need a new seatbelt please let me know. I have a few sets laying around and could pull one from the set if need be

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure that the seatbelt is in the correct angle it's supposed to be.

Also, don't try to take it apart if it's not retracting. I tried that with mine and once you lose the wound up spring, you're screwed.
I just bought a replacement at a junkyard for like $15.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's a big issue with our cars, the belts don't like to roll back up into their houses. Like Ferocious said, don't unroll it while it's out of the car thinking you are helping it somehow. There's an enormous magnet in there (you'll feel it when you pull it off) that somehow triggers the lock mechanism to the belt. Out of the car, they don't roll back up, but they will unroll. Makes for a long afternoon of cursing.

Orange was right mostly, to pull the whole assembly you need both of the back panels out, but you do not need to pull the rear seat. If you do it might be a bit easier, but it's not really a hindrance.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Make sure you have a nice big torx bit to unbolt anything seatbelt related.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Vise grips on a rounded bolt, how many times did you slip off and say ****

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's the same size as the back of any screw bit, so if you don't have the torx size, you can turn normal screw tips around and use it, if you follow

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
Just wanted to mention that the majority of these panels are snap ins with plastic plugs/pins.
You would want to use a T50 (the correct size, but a t45 would probably work too) to remove any seatbelt mountings. On the upper rear panel there is one plastic plug directly underneath the seatbelt arch piece.
I believe there's one more plug towards the rear of the upper rear panel that meets at the seam of the top of the lower rear panel. Then it 'should' be snap out from there. Just be sure you didn't miss any of the plugs. The lower panel is basically the same case, possibly some plugs, and then slides forward and out.
Take your time and it'll work out. I recommend having the rear seat out before you do this, it'll make it easier and it's not a lot of time to remove the rear seat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online