sleepn_sn95's 98 GT - Project Wanna Be Autox'er

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Looks really good. Are you doing solid rack bushings? You will love the way the car drives when you are done with the suspension.

OP
OP
sleepn_sn95

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Looks really good. Are you doing solid rack bushings? You will love the way the car drives when you are done with the suspension.

I actually have some but for the life of me I couldnt get the metal sleeves out that need to be cut.

Today I got the MM rear control arms on along with the pinion snubber. All went smoothly except the e brake was acidentally pulled while the cable was disconnected and now the passenger rear caliper drags while driving. Any ideas on how to reset the cable tension?
DSC_0402 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr
DSC_0406 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
The sleeves for the rack bolt have a split. I have always used a pair of vise grips to compress the sleeve and twist it enough to get a pry bar on the back of the sleeve.

Mark the sleeve where it needs to be cut then remove it. The sleeve has a slight taper to hold it tightly in the k member when it is seated. Once you get it started it comes out pretty easily.

On the parking brake issue. My Ford service manual says that the cable is self adjusting. I have had my E brake cable off many times but have never pulled the laver when they were off. I can only suggest that you make sure the cable is all the way seated into the caliper.

Hopefully some of the other guys have some experience. Good luck!

OP
OP
sleepn_sn95

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Some progress has been made since my last update. I made it to 3 local autox's and the car has done great. The only thing holding me back is my cheap all season tires. Im planning to finish this season on them to get seat time and understand how to really drive the car and not rely on tires. The local CAM class is very competitive and is full of helpful people.

Here are some pictures and a small video of my first event with the car.
Untitled by Kyle Matson, on Flickr
[video=youtube;7Zluhp099yc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zluhp099yc[/video]

I also took off the s351 wing to do some cleaning and the rivnuts inserted in the wing decided to strip/spin so it probably wont be going back on..... So what do I decide to do? Build a custom autox/nascar style spoiler. Ive got my template made up and will be using 1/8" aluminum which should be ready to pick up on Monday. I need to order some support rods and figure out what kind of hing/bracket I will use to mount it to the trunk.
DSC_0533 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr
DSC_0538 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr
DSC_0540 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr
DSC_0547 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

codfod

Reaction score
Mmmm I'm liking this. As a side note, how much did you get the saleen rear bumper for?

OP
OP
sleepn_sn95

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Mmmm I'm liking this. As a side note, how much did you get the saleen rear bumper for?

It was already on the car when I bought it.

Finished product. I am pretty pleased with the end result. Autox is this weekend so I will be able to test it out and see if anything needs to be changed. I can upload more pics of the building process if anyone is interested.

DSC_0572 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr
DSC_0564 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr
DSC_0559 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

OP
OP
sleepn_sn95

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Long overdue update here.

Traded my SRA setup for an IRS from an 03 cobra. I stripped the underside of the car, cleaned and painted everything, and installed new fuel and brake lines.
DSC_0424 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr
IMG_2529 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr
DSC_0413 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

IRS has been completely tore down, cleaned, painted, and refreshed. The IRS already had the full FTBR catalog thrown at it but everything was covered in grease. One axle shaft was destroyed so both have been replaced, hub bearing have both been replaced along with one new hub.

DSC_0501 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

DSC_0511 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

DSC_0509 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

Also installed a set of MM forward offset front lower control arms

Untitled by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

Current state, ready for the autox season to start

DSC_0689 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

Custom side exhaust I built

DSC_0705 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

DSC_0682 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

Latest posts

Forum statistics