srt4 or cobalt ss

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had a love/hate relationship with my SRT4. I would gladly buy another though. They are hard to beat for the money. It doesn't take much to get 300whp out of them, mine was actually pretty reliable, got 20-24mpg no matter how I drove, but the interior is shit. 3rd gear is a common issue with them, known for grinding/going out. I put a LOT of miles on that car (drove 160 miles one way every other weekend coming home from college for 3 years) and the only issue I had with it besides maintenance stuff (timing belt, clutch, etc) was a bad ignition coil. I put 70-80k miles on it and got rid of it when the turbo seals starting going but I beat the ever lasting shit out of that car. It was incredibly fun. My own issues with the car was the fact that it was FWD.
207026_1663366143997_6379507_n.jpg

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
I definitely dig the foresters. But don't want to have to take the motor out to work on it haha. I'm kinda guessing it will be between an srt4 and a Subaru. For the money, seems like they would make a good daily

megankensley

Reaction score
My boyfriend has a ss turbo and it's quick and reliable. Our friend has a srt and id definitely prefer the cobalt.

Caboose302

Reaction score
Have you looked at the Forrester Sport? It's a Forrester with the WRX drive train. They're pretty quick. I helped a buddy pull the engine in his 05 WRX and it couldn't have taken much more than an hour to pull once all the fluids were drained. I was surprised at how quick it came out.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lol (in a good way) to the Dodge Omni! My first car was a 87 Shelby CSX:

left_front_quarter_new_wheels_2008-.jpg

2.2L turbo - blast to drive! And surprisingly quick for that age car. But you want to talk about crappy interiors. On par, I'm sure, with Neon and Cobalt (with the only difference being the Shelby added touches like the steering wheel). I suspect the Neon and Cobalt are just modern day versions of this car. There's a lot of dislike here for them, but it all depends on what you are looking for, what you are willing to live with, and what your budget is. FWIW, I still have that car. It still runs quite well. And it's 28 years old. So take all the "reliability" stuff on the Neon and Cobalt with a grain of salt. Sure there are problems. But they can be fixed. These are not $40,000 cars, so of course they are "shit."

I am, of course, biased to Subaru's. I really enjoy my DD. Worth it, IMO. People complain about the interiors. I think, certainly on the older Subaru's, yes the interior sucked. On mine (a 2011), I honestly like it. It is as nice as an Audi? Of course not. But then I didn't buy an Audi. Maybe I just have a very low threshold for what a shitty interior is. All I know is this: I sit in my STI and not once do I think "wow, this interior is shit." And then I sit in my fiance's A4, and not once do I think "wow, this interior is nicer than mine." So it's all about what you find important.

Someone mentioned a WRX - this is a great suggestion. If you are really worried about the interior quality, try to get a new-ish one, 2011 or newer. It will cost, of course. And Subaru's retain their value really well. This is not a fluke, or accident. Despite "shitty interiors" etc. they retain their value. You should ask yourself why. There's got to be a reason (and there is). If the WRX is priced too high, try to find a Legacy GT (same engine as WRX) but these will be pricey as well I'm sure. How about an Outback or Forester? I think they would be fun daily's - they don't have the power of course like the WRX or STI, but you would get the AWD (snow & rain) and the reliability. Probably can find them for pretty cheap too.

In the end, I'm sorry to say the old adage is true: fast, reliable, cheap - pick two. Sometimes, though you get lucky. My first car, the Shelby, was fast and cheap, and ended up being reliable too (but then, we took care of it - my dad that originally bought it and then eventually me, when I learned to drive). Personally, I think if the budget is low, the SRT or Cobalt are fine cars - yes they are "shit" but it's all relative. If you have more money to play with, look at Subaru's. I think a WRX/STI is what you are unconsciously thinking about when you describe what you are looking for ;)

Edit: Oh, and back to the Omni, (or Charger, or Daytona, or Z, etc.) - if you can find one they are easy to work on and deceptively fast. This was before cars started getting fat. My CSX weighs in at 2700 lbs. Get over 300hp from the motor (totally do-able) and you have quite the sleeper. However, due to the age, I would *not* recommend these as a daily. Also, they are obviously from the 80's, very boxy design which didn't really age that well. If you want to know more about the Shelby Dodge's, go here. After Shelby made his version, Dodge ended up mass producing a lot of what he did as just "plain" Dodge's.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I'd vote Cobalt simply because the interior is much nicer, and it feels like a more refined quality vehicle than the srt 4. But, I do like the srt 4. They are cheap to make fast and the sound they make is amazing.

I'd pass on the subaru. Awesome rumble, awesome awd, super fun, but not as reliable as the few examples in here. Check out the craigslist in AZ for them, almost every other ad says "replaced motor at xxx miles." They do hold their value very well though. My friend has an 05 STi, pretty up until 75k when things just started to go south. If I were to buy any impreza it would be the 2002-2003 wrx. Those are actually solid cars. The market here in AZ for them is ridiculously over priced.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone! I am going to go drive a cobalt this weekend I think.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=15705]mcglsr2[/MENTION] I had a 87 shelby z that I loved!!!! 5spd ttops 90's style ground effects.

Car was fast and fun.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
mcglsr2 I had a 87 shelby z that I loved!!!! 5spd ttops 90's style ground effects.

Car was fast and fun.

Awesome car! The Shelby Z's were nice! My CSX is in desparate need of restoration. Once I get my tack car to where I want it, and do some work on our Dart for my dad, the Shelby will be next to get some loving. Really fast cars for what they were, and most people never heard of them before.

Edit: those engine's sound nice too. I've got a 3" exhaust on it with a straight pipe (no cat) - it sounds like a motorboat :)

Edit edit: Lol, went out on Youtube for some nostaglia. For those folks that don't know anything about these cars, one should be careful - they could surprise you ;) Of course, one would probably not encounter them anymore due to the age, but back in the day I'm sure many a Mustang driver got upset. This vid is a Omni vs a Cobra. No idea what mods are on either, but assume the Cobra is stock and the Omni is certainly not (however, the Omni probably still does have the 2.2L turbo I-4). Probably comparable horsepower, and the Omni is loads loads lighter. But still fun!
[video=youtube;-e9XjOCL-cE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e9XjOCL-cE[/video]

Heh heh, I little more info (no idea who this dude is, but he's right about what "GLHS" stands for - seriously):

[video=youtube;ZWV0D5yrhxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWV0D5yrhxk[/video]

I'll stop whoring in this thread now :)

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd buy another Daytona shelby in a heartbeat if I found a decent one for the right price.

Mine had a 3" from turbo back with a mangnaflow and it sounded like a beast. Previous owner had reworked the head and internals and all I had to do was fix the factory worn out suspension and a new clutch. Then added a home made cai and a boost controller. I'd smoke factory gt's all day long and could walk on some built gt's and even some Cobras.

Daytonas/omnis/k-cars/conquest tsi's were always great cars.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Well, went and looked at a few cars and I can't bring myself to a car payment especially when looking to move out. I've got a crown Vic that I enjoy plenty and will last for a while. I've also got a talon that I'll just drive while trying to sell

My future father in-law got a 15eco boost mustang and would rather save some money up and get a 15 mustang in a year or two.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
For anyone who cares, I ended up buying a 1989 bmw 325ix. The car fit everything I wanted, besides it could use a little more pep. But awd, cool looking, heated seats still works, a/c works and cruise still works. I really dig this car!

sn95jones

Reaction score
Hope you got deep pockets but congrats!

I had an HHR SS for a while, most will laugh but it was a complete sleeper, turbo 4cyl with a manual trans, Recaro bucket seats, launch control, Bose stereo system, it was awesome just not my style.
Thing with the turbo 2.0's from GM is they can be made to make some decent hp would take more effort than it's worth to make them keep up with today's pony cars.
I liked mine, was great for a daily..

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Actually pretty good after market for them so not as bad as one thinks. Plus I'll do all the work myself. I love the car!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For anyone who cares, I ended up buying a 1989 bmw 325ix. The car fit everything I wanted, besides it could use a little more pep. But awd, cool looking, heated seats still works, a/c works and cruise still works. I really dig this car!

Love it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.