sub box dimensions

97stangthang

Reaction score
I have been looking for sub boxes all over the place! Do any of you know what the biggest sub enclosure is that you could fit into our trunks(with mach 460). I have 2 12's right now but my box won't fit. Would it be cheaper just to get a custom box built?? :help2: Thanks in advance Kemps

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I would get a custom box built to spec, not only will it fit very well, it will sound excellent since they can make it specific to your subwoofers plus it will look great. 2-12s is quite a bit for a stang trunk, what kind of subs?

GodZilla

Reaction score
wheel well enclosure. thats what i would get or make its real easy if your handy. and Matt.s right two twelves are a little much. I have one 12 in my hatch and it pounds.

Id post pics of mine but im coming to Victoria soon and dont want Matt to lift it :naughty:

OP
OP

97stangthang

Reaction score
I think i am going to get the custom enclosure done. I had a lot bigger trunk to work with in my old car, until it was totalled(not my fault :rant:). I have 2 12 kicker compvr's running off a lanzar vibe 1200d. They do pound!!Can't wait to hear them in the stang though, it's been awhile. Now that I think about it the custom enclosure has so many more positives. Will sound better, look better, and have more trunk space. Thanks for the advice, I am definitly goin custom!! :dancing6:

Slammed96GT

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
I have a tire-well enclosure with 1 12" JLW3 and its enough and I have had lots of big stereos, Im glad I downgraded to just 1 12".

pic please... I'm getting ready to design a tire-well enclosure for my stang. either it's going to be fiberglass or just MDF going across the trunk with a subwoofer opening.

97WhitePony

Reaction score
Im rocking 1 MTX 12'' in a truck box (all i had laying around at the time) inverted (wouldnt fit regularly) and it actually surprised me... i have it now just as something to hold me over till i feel like something else, but im fine with a single 12, it fills out the ass end of my music. but im not one to "beat the block"

Tattoogod

Reaction score
personally if i were to use only 1 sub i go with 1 15" in a sealed closure. in a sealed box you going to get more hit and alot more accuracy than a ported box. i usually run 3 12's or 4 10's or if space is short i throw a 15 in it. i like jl ,kicker,and audio bauhn subs. i run either linear power ,ppi,or power acoustic amps,and always run a cap to the amps.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
had a 15" and they are only good for like rap with deep bass, but my 15 was made for SPL...but still never gonna get a 15 again, it was reatardly loud though.

Tattoogod

Reaction score
to get the most out of a 15 it must be in a sealed box. and have plenty of power running to it. if done correctly it can be as accurate as a 12 no prob. and go plenty low for the deep tones..i personally like 3 12's i listen to god smack ,pantera,that sorta thing.then when i go cruising i can pull up next to a honda :rice: and turn on some hip hop and rattle THEIR mirrors off the winshield lol..but in this trunk.i don't know yet,i don't wanna weigh it down so much.i thinking maybe 2 12's in a plexi box POSSIBLY. or have one on each side facing each other.or run them isobaric.I'm still mapping this out.

Slammed96GT

Reaction score
Matt... I need pics of the bottom of your enclosure... I need to see how you sealed everything off. If you can post it on here or email it to [email protected].

Thanks

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
subbox2.jpg

I took the side pieces out so you can have an idea of what I did here, I didnt want to remove the entire box since its a pain. Ignore the temp plate I have on top, I had a 15" in before.

subbox.jpg

Here is a side shot. I drew on the pic of how it works. The bottom of the box is molded fibreglass to the size of the tirewell (smaller of coruse) then that is spread ontop a pieceof medite (see picture) then the medite is about 4" tall all around to addomidate the depth of a sub and the cu.ft. requirements for nice sound. So its pretty much picture a bowl (fibreglass shaped to trunk) with another box on the top with the bottom open to the fibreglass.

Then I have side pieces made of medite that rest on the side to make it flush as the pic I showed above on my cardomain page, same with a small piece in the front which you can also see on the cardomain page.

Make sense? I will be pulling it out probaly around the 23/24th to do some finishing touches ill get actual pics of the entire setup there.

Slammed96GT

Reaction score
alright cool... i see how it works now. So did you attach the fiberglass bowl to the Medite or is it just sitting on top of it?? Also where do u get medite?? Is it the same as MDF??

Foster98GT

Reaction score
i also have 1 12in sub that sits in the spare tire well. I orders one of those q-logic boxes from crutchfield.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.