The Chinese Engine Build

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to keep the heat down in the engine compartment, I have tried all the different coatings and wraps. Heat in the pipes increases velocity.

delling3

Reaction score
Yes, I am aware the keeping the heat in the exhaust system improves flow. It just seemed to me that a cast iron manifold is 1) Pretty short, and 2)does a pretty good job containing the heat, meaning the benefit will be minimal as compared to tubular headers. I have done headers with ceramic coatings for both cosmetics and insulation. I will be interested in knowing how the coating works, in keeping your underhood temperature down.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got the engine started and all is good and smooth. Still in the garage till the finishing parts come in for A/C. exhaust, power steering, and I have to adjust the torque arm because I moved the K frame to a better fit.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got 25 miles on it and tomorrow is getting the A/c system filled up and the alignment done because I changed the position of the K frame and the iron block weighs more than the set up for the aluminum engine. I will get It retuned to get the idledown because this set up has more port air flow but smaller cams but I bumped up the compression from 10:1 to 13:1

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I will, it is running fine on the 400 HP tune but there are occasional blips that tell me it is not the same so when I got 500 miles on it to seat the rings I will make a date.. then we can play guess the HP, I will post a note.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The winner is 244 RWHP = 292 at the crank, 281 RWT
This is ported PI heads, 225 duration cam, 13:1 compression. stock exhaust.
Took 2 hours on the dyno to get it right and idle. 24 degrees advance.

joe65

Reaction score
good running motor! You had a limit you were trying to stay within?

joe65

Reaction score
It will be fine, lower HP, I say 280 RWHP with the small cams but with higher compression it will sound sharp and poppen. I will put the AC back in the car for the wife and change the seat angle for her.
I just got to get on the swap..I have been rebuilding a VW R32 which is very complicated car that does not tolerate shortcuts but what a GO-cart...
Then add Hurricane Dorrian to my life, I am at ground zero in Buxton and the TV is full of shit, one firehouse meter broke at 134 and the other firehouse meter broke at 130 MPH. My roof ridge vent blew off and I had 53 foot long hole into my living room. They do not use ridge vents down here and my house was built before learning curve. I am mad.. I keep my stuff right tight and strak and this town is the most independent souls I have known, we hate the outside world and now I have to play the game. It is a matter of personal pride here to stay ready. It blows over 100 here several times a year and the Noreasters in the winter last for days. People like how clean this place is when they visit and if you had a 6 foot deep enema every year your town would be clean too. Most of the time 6 feet of water under the house means get out the crab traps. I have seen many blows come through here in the 19 years I have had this place and this flood zone is called 1X = deadly for idiots, after a blow the Feds come and look at the damage and decide with the state if your place is condemned or not. The 2 Mc mansions behind me got condemned, which is good, If you want that kind of a house move to Duck or Corolla where they last, down here I am 60 miles out in the ocean which is why the storms are frequent. I have seen 3 eye walls pass over head for the storms I have been here for. Anything up to 75 mph is just a normal day and likely to be clear and sunny at the same time. Like most places when it is nice it is glorious and when it isn't it is intense. No place for snowflakes and many people hate the constant wind and never come back.
IMG_20170903_125726-D.jpg

Here is a pic of my bad ass little yellow boat I built out. I picked the hull I wanted and went to the factory and bought a stripped unfinished blank and got out of having all the crap they build in resulting in a much less draft which is the key around here. I put in retractable cleats and flush brackets for a carbon push pole I made. I did stick steering and made an offset engine bracket. Got rid of the center console and battery box taking up too much room and used an Evinrude E-Tec 30 rather than the 60 Merc this comes with to get it as light as possable.
I would like to thank all the other industrial artists on this board for sharing their skills and showing how to do custom work. I have learned a lot.

Just for the hell of it i'd like to mention that where i live here in Colorado along the base of the Rockies we have to design our buildings for 155mph wind loads. its crazy how the wind can come down off the Mountains in the Spring and Fall. Lots of builders that aren't experienced here shit when they hear we are designing roofs and walls against that wind load. Oh and i like that boat!

oh and did you sell the rear coil over set up? I have the fronts purchased for my car and will be needing to buy the rear set up soon.

50HSN95

Reaction score
Not bad power for not having to wind the hell out of it, moderately torquey also.

Sorry if I missed it but stock 4R70W and converter? Again for stock exhaust not terrible. You think the exhaust is holding it back above 5k?

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say the cast iron exhaust manifold, and a BIG loss from the 225 cams VS the 235 cams, like 72 HP.

50HSN95

Reaction score
Wow, I'm not super familiar with the cam differences in that motor, that is a pretty drastic difference.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Hey old h2s....what oil brand and weight are you running? Also send me your address

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The bad news..
I list my mistakes for your edification and as a warning of what not to do.
Looking at the dyne sheet shows 244 RWHP not good, and 281 RWT not bad compared to the other 12 engine builds.
This engine is 13:1 CR and I came up with 260 PSI in ALL 8 cylinders on the compression check. So I did a good job on the valve seats and the leak down was 5 pounds each so the rings are good too.
Just some rough math is putting my cylinder pressure at 2600 PSI which is a lot NA, I used stock Ford head bolts and a FelPro MLS head gaskets this time and at 600 miles it is holding together. The 400 HP tune from the last engine was pinging on this set up, the tuner backed down the timing to 23 degrees from 28 before.
More to follow..