The Chinese Engine Build

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ring the build bell....
This is a cheepo build with Chinese parts pushed to the limit.
Stock '96 iron block bored .020 over.
Cast cheap Chinese pistons.
Cheap Chinese "I" beam rods.
Home made PI heads.
Bullitt PI+ cams.
At least 13:1 CR.

http://www.modmaxracing.com/product-p/22025000.htm
http://www.modmaxracing.com/product-p/65025059.htm

The block is at Crankshaft Grinding and Machine getting cut, they have Ford torque plates so this is a new company to me here in Maryland so we will see...

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
This should be interesting! You know you can order 2013 boss 302 rods for about $180 a set. They are real light and plenty strong.

What’s you plan for cams? What are you expecting to get from this one?

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
All depends on the intake.. I have stock PI and an Edelbrock. I ported the heads to the max AND had them pressure checked to 40 PSI and no leaks or porosity. I could get a Typhoon or Street Burner? Cams will be smallish to keep the CR high, it really helps the down low torque from a stop. The PI is much better than the nPI but it still runs out of air at 4600 RPM. I gained 5 HP with the Eddy but lost torque under the curve but moved the peak up by 500 RPM and that was with 24 pound injectors and 73mm TB so what to do?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I know the eddy loses torque but I’m understanding that the trick flow and bullet intakes keep torque but make the same power up higher. If you had one of those, I’d like to see what it would do.

I also understand that the typhoon isn’t any better than PI, but maybe it can be ported out?

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got Flow?
IMG_1457-D.jpg

I just finished this set of heads, big and smooth this time. Here are the cam specs:
Bullet Cams, F02 261/266-090H
Duration @ .050 221/226
Separation 109
Timing @ .050 4.5/36.5 46/0
Duration @ .006 261/266
Lift .530/.530

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
is this something you hope will last or just curious how fast it might blow up? Just curious.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good question, I have had problems with heads cracking and counterfeit parts blowing up engines. Both blocks have had rebuilds for mistakes. I have done tear downs just to look see what good and bad because I was bored. The forged aluminum Trick Flow engine is in the car with 1000 miles on it making 374 at the crank and 20MPG with 3.73 rear gear which I am happy with and it rev's nice but that engine is made for a blower or turbo and I have done 3 of those engines already so I want to sell it and am doing the iron block now. The iron block came in the car so I want to get it back in there, it was never bored out so I am doing it now to .020 over with new pistons. I have built this engine multiple time with different combinations of parts and the vid. shown above was one of the small cam big compression builds that had bad heads. This time I am using better parts and the RWHP should be around 300 so I do not need the high level of strong parts the motor for sale does. I have a lot of dyno time now on both blocks and the close piston to head builds so I am comfortable I am not going to bend parts and that allows high CR which give good torque at idle without going to forced induction.
The problem is always air flow on the intake side, we are limited by the 90mm piston size to low torque and even the 4V heads suck down low. Ported PI heads are OK but the Trick Flow heads beat them by 15 HP with a big intake valve and more room for a higher lift cam without going crazy on piston design. The intake manifold is a problem area, the engine really likes long runner length to help jam the cylinder from flow inertia and going big like the Edelbrock kills flow speed, it is really for drag cars, port velocity is low till 5k then it is happy but drivability suffers. The stock PI manifold is good but is designed to quit at 4600RPM and we need a little more to have fun which is why the 3V set up works so well with the adjustable intake. With the butterfly gate closed the intake ports are the size of a nickel and when they open they are 2 square inches each. The closest thing I see for the 2V heads is the Trick Flow Street Burner intake with long tapered runners. TF did give internal dimensions of the runners which is why I think they could work b ut If you have read my builds you know I am not a TF fanboy.
Decisions, decisions....
Your comments and flames help.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the engine, ready.
IMG_1505-D.jpg

IMG_1504-D.jpg

I should have called this thread The Big Detune.
Next I cleaned up the stock Ford LCA's.
IMG_1503-D.jpg

Then I welded some 3/16 plate on the bottoms for extra stiffness.
IMG_1506-D.jpg

Tomorrow I will grind down the weld beads and smooth the edges and powder coat them in black nylon because that's what is in my gun right now..

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Excellent work. Very thrifty. Are you going back with stock bushings on the lower control arms?

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There are none available, so poly it is.

I will have 2 sets of MM LCA's for sale, a regular and a HD set, both come with spherical bearings in them. And a front and rear Bilstein coilover kit with extra sets of springs. Stay tuned..

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Why are you selling off better than stock aftermarket suspension parts and reverting back to stock parts?!? I must of missed it if you already explained it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter snagged MY Jeep JK, my son is leaving with my Toyota 4 runner, so I am now 2 cars down. My wife needs the pick up truck and I am trying to land a new job that is in Florida. The Mustang must be pressed into DD chores and left in Florida when I come north. I can only drive this set up for 2 hours max, sometimes by the time I get to the track I am less than ready for action. I am keeping the torque arm and pan hard bar and S197 brakes.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Race cars handle like they are a brick... "Hey man what springs you got?"
"600's"
"pussy, is that the wife's car?"

But I have been prepared for a long time that I would have to give up some wheels for the kids to GET OUT!
What sucks is the kids seeing all the cars I have built in their life times and asking "Can I have the RoadRunner" or I want the Audi TT 3.2" and the ever popular "are you going to keep this one?" that's how I know they really like like them. So far nobody has said shit about the Mustang except when am I selling it?

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Heh I know the story old man. Mine is over 70 and hasn't sold a mustang in my lifetime. He just buys another one. Lol.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What usually happens is I have so many good left over parts around that I can build another or give them all away for cheap. On Sundays at cars and coffee I see my custom parts deseminated throughout out the crowd, I look at something and think did I make that dampner 30 years ago??

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
13 or 14:1 CR? That is the question..
This build is a Nick Mckinney design that BLK54 has got me hooked on, and they work without knocking with no knock sensors to retard the timing. I have gone as high as 36 degreese with no knock, but no added power after 28 so that is my max. So far the WAP Aluminum blower engine in the car has not sold and I think I will sell it in pieces.
The Chinese build iron block is sitting on the stand and wants to have its time on the dyno and I can go high or low compression on it by which head gasket I put on. I have lots of time at 13:1 with no problems on 93 pump gas and the time I did 14:1 did not work out because I was impatient.
I talked with Bullet Cams and got the OK through their cam simulation software to run my biggest cam with .570 lift with flattop pistons at 13:1 so I am going to be double checking the VtoP clearance. I might call them again for some more hand holding on the exhaust valve opening..

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
My only input would be to keep the assembly weight lite as you can get it.

I like your approach to this build. Youve planned all the parts to be used and where youll end up.

Goodluck

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001