The "I don't know what to name this" Build Thread

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Did you need to know where the lines go?

Oh. I got that. Lwarrior1016 helped me with that but... almost but not quite as far as her starting. Apparently it wants to start but doesn’t. Checked for leaks, fuel is getting to the rail and the injectors are good, plugs are brand new and gapped correctly, plug wires are brand new and last check the coils work. Spins quite well but just won’t get there. I’m double and triple checking but running out of ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Okay now I step back and take a break from it.

So I have went back to check the plugs and found this on plug one

53a27cf521b383d5a1cf7ea164c8550c.jpg

These were all brand new so of course I’m a bit surprised.

So I gapped it again and put it back in and even with no wire I pulled it again outta curiosity and...
c510f59fa5feb81095385c9dfb0b94cd.jpg
So far none of the others are bent but... rather than get more frustrated and disappointed I’m gonna get it a rest and come back when my head is clearer.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Its possible that particular cylinder has either been re-tapped or some sort of helicoil. Your be in some luck with a helicoil, just back it out.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Its possible that particular cylinder has either been re-tapped or some sort of helicoil. Your be in some luck with a helicoil, just back it out.

Thought about that too. If that works still gotta figure out why it’s not starting too. I’m losing my mind because each hurdle I clear there’s another and still not the result I’ve been waiting for. That’s why I said I’m gonna step back for a moment. I need a clear mind when I go back at it. But I still need to remove 2 more to check again.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I step away at the point I find I want to throw or kick something. We all need to know our limits.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
I step away at the point I find I want to throw or kick something. We all need to know our limits.

Exactly lol. I felt like that on at least 3 occasions today so I know it’s time. Hoping for some light at the end of this. Less parts are stored and much more on the car now but still not running and one step forward and then two steps back will do it to you.

Tight_Budget

Reaction score
Hey there guys,
I registered myself to this forum bc I've had an idea circulating around my mind for quite a while now and need opinions from people who were familiar with the sort of stuff id be dealing w/.
First of all, a friend and I are in search of a fun summer project ccar and we thought you couldn't go wrong with a nice v8 stang. But we noticed that there really aren't many v8 - 5 speed mustangs in our price range (~$2000).
So, we came up with the idea to at first just manual swap a v8 auto, but we thought we would have to leave the v8 stock bc we wouldn't have any $ left over for upgrades.
That led us to shopping on auction salvage sites and the idea that we want to buy a v6 shell and swap a v8 - manual powertrain into it, swapping the wiring harness and all.
We want to do some basic bolt on upgrades to the engine like long tube headers, exhaust, cai, etc.
We've also had some ideas about forced induction (supercharger), and reworking the pulley system for efficiency.
Our goal is to gut the interior and make a fast, potentially dedicated to drag, car.
We have some questions like if we run a supercharger and long tubes we would be pushing a lot of torque so would this the make the stock 5-speed spit out its guts?
Also, please replay or message us about anything you guys want to say, or any concerns, about this whole setup bc we are new to this and need all the help we can get... Thanks

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
This is a good question!

But we gonna have to get this question moved out of this guys build thread and move it over into the Garage with your very own thread. This way folks can reply the proper response to the question.

Here in this thread, you're gonna get all types of confusing into cause its ol'boys build thread.

So go ahead copy/paste your question into a new thread and we will give you a run down of options.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
This is a good question!

But we gonna have to get this question moved out of this guys build thread and move it over into the Garage with your very own thread. This way folks can reply the proper response to the question.

Here in this thread, you're gonna get all types of confusing into cause its ol'boys build thread.

So go ahead copy/paste your question into a new thread and we will give you a run down of options.

Wow. Didn’t see this.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
I’m back at it and have made a bunch of progress but more things have come up.

So it started and ran (still will) but this beautiful pit bull pup I’m dog sitting chewed the battery charger wire and that caused a fire. So now I have to replace the engine and transmission harnesses, vacuum hoses, and a whole slew of other parts. Fortunately his owner is paying for the damage.
8e51550ccac0251f09d2f16aaa8cd6b0.jpg
4decf90a8f277a8a89410c5b60205ef0.heic
b1aedf9fdaae1f11e5a9ddaa6dcd0b80.heic

Now the other thing I’ve found is that the radiator is busted which is not related to the fire. I actually thought I’d posted this but I guess I didn’t tap save. Anyways at least that doesn’t mean it’s kaput and also at least I have a name for the build if I can have it changed. “Scorch’d Horse†Not bad.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Damn that made a mess of the wires, at least you can get a full harness and just start from scratch. Did the dog get a good jolt from it??

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Man I need to keep up with this. Things have changed a bit. I’ve moved, had to drop the stang by my grandmas house but I can still work on it ( she loves seeing me do that kinda stuff plus I get to spend more time with her). I bought and installed the engine harness, the transmission harness is burned but works aside from the O2 Sensor connections which I wasn’t using, replaced the hoses, the CAI , throttle position sensor and the Idle air control valve, found that the fuel rail was burned up so I bought another one, now it’s the AC hose and air intake sensor that have to be replaced but I’m getting to those. Still putting things together. Well tearing down to put together. Got a bad P/S head so that’s gotta go. Fortunately I’ve come across some others thanks to a good buddy so that’s a green light as soon as I get the time and weather permitting. Now the crazy thing is the guy who’s supposed to be paying for these parts has only been able to trickle money my way and it’s causing a strain there. Lol the way I see it is I’m supposed to be up and running by now. Would’ve probably noticed the issue with the head sooner if I weren’t going through replacing torched stuff.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
Damn that made a mess of the wires, at least you can get a full harness and just start from scratch. Did the dog get a good jolt from it??

And I don’t know. I don’t like calling dogs dumb but all I can say is with all the stuff he’s chewed and injested, I don’t think he noticed.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there are dumb dogs just like there are dumb people. I had a neighbor with a lab that no matter how many times it burned its nose it would not learn to not sniff his grill when it was hot. I mean even a stupid kid tends to learn pretty quick from a burn but I could always tell when he had been grilling by the quarter/half dollar sized burn on its nose.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
there are dumb dogs just like there are dumb people. I had a neighbor with a lab that no matter how many times it burned its nose it would not learn to not sniff his grill when it was hot. I mean even a stupid kid tends to learn pretty quick from a burn but I could always tell when he had been grilling by the quarter/half dollar sized burn on its nose.

True. Well his owner owes me quite a bit now because of it. Couldn’t leave him outside and couldn’t leave him alone inside. He chewed an entire screwdriver set, other tools, chock blocks, wires, hoses, wood, and apparently started doing the same when his master came and got him so now he’s basically forced to be an outside dog in part of the backyard with him too. He’d chew the car if you let him ‍♂️. NOW I just need him to continue paying me back. I can’t keep waiting on him to get me the money for the parts so I’ve been buying them but it sucks when you keep finding more damage. Hopefully I’ll be up and running soon though.

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
This was the culprit.
00fc2ad15321f721f0765b5d7861e87d.jpg

Nonetheless I’m gonna do my best to get it up and running with the little that’s coming in plus my own funds and give his owner an invoice when I’m done. Tear down is underway but hopefully I get to go back up and have a running car. I don’t want it to be a forever not done project.
bf087f1d7d78b623783866c2e90ec1b8.jpg

OP
OP
damon81nola

damon81nola

Reaction score
From that to this. Going back up as of now. Timing was a bit of a task but it’s done. Hopefully it’ll be done tomorrow and I can start it. Gotta try and find the valve cover studs for these as I thought I moved so I am not sure where they are.
a761b80d3e443d0ef7323fc294f8dbec.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online