the momstang rebuild begins TOOK A TRIP AROUND THE BLOCK!

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I took it back out today and got onto it a little more this time since it seemed good at low rpm. I got on it in 2nd/3rd up to 5k prms which was enough to realize that its a completely different car now as it just kept pulling. The power reminded me of when I had my sportbike and felt like I was holding on while it was trying to pull me off. I need to get a buddy to get a sound clip/drive by so you can hear it but its music to my ears. I made some adjustments to the tune and it was running better. I was only going to do 2 drives before I put it on stands to go under it and check everything, pull a plug and check the oil but we are supposed to have good weather all week and I am still waiting a part I want to install when I do the oil change(low oil sensor) so I think I might put off the stands for a day or two and make another trip or two.
kjNk3BF.jpg

stoked to hear your out putting some miles on the car . You really did a killer job on this build . I think you got me convinced I need air bags too. Glad I went the Holley route seems like your enjoying it .

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
stoked to hear your out putting some miles on the car . You really did a killer job on this build . I think you got me convinced I need air bags too. Glad I went the Holley route seems like your enjoying it .
oh man I am SORRY to tell you that once you start to think about it, its an itch you have to scratch. I am afraid its going to be like power windows now and I will have to have it. But welcome to the dark side and let me know if you want me to make you an overhead console for the controller like mine.

I had to laugh that I stopped 2 times for pics today and both times after leaving I realized I was driving for the past 5 mins with my demon lights on.
CNt5iVz.jpg

I have arranged for a buddy to help me out and hold my laptop so I can make a datalog pull with out the laptop bouncing around as well as to get some video.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You know you can set up the datalog to come on with a trigger and store inside the ecu, then pull it to the laptop, right? That makes it easier to do without a second person.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I do and I have a switch set up to do it and its one of the few remaining wiring things I need to finish. I can also do it through the dash but its a bit of a chore to make sure its all working. I have been driving with the laptop open to see the learning tables and to ensure it is datalogging and to make changes.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I took it out today for the 3rd shake down drive before I plan to put it back up on stands and go under it all again, check the plugs and change the oil. I got on it harder today and rolled into 2nd gear hard enough to get the back end a little loose and then into 3rd for a fun pull. The good news was that it pulled nice and hard and reliably and even while the rear end was getting a little loose it all still felt confident and with out any fears really. Bad news is that now the tranny is making a little more noise in 3rd. Its not a horrible OMG grinding but a whining that I have heard from other mustang tans in 3rd but not really this loud. Not sure what I can check under the car really. If it is the trans well I knew I would need to upgrade that sooner er later... I got some video today I will post when it uploads as it seems to be taking for ever tonight.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
What kind of oil are you running in the trans? And have you checked to make sure the oil level is right?

I prefer the gm synchromesh in these transmissions. It lets my t45 shift smooth even at 7800 rpm.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
What kind of oil are you running in the trans? And have you checked to make sure the oil level is right?

I prefer the gm synchromesh in these transmissions. It lets my t45 shift smooth even at 7800 rpm.
I am completely ignorant on my trans I am afraid to admit. I know with the new found power will be paying for the education I will be getting, on top of the price of the trans lol. I will probably check or change to what ever you tell me to put in it.

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
You haven’t drained and refilled the trans since it’s been sat up? I would definitely do that. I forget the recommended amount, but drain that and refill with the synchromesh

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You haven’t drained and refilled the trans since it’s been sat up? I would definitely do that. I forget the recommended amount, but drain that and refill with the synchromesh
it was drained and filled but I don't know what is in it. My mustang buddy that knows more than me works at oriely's and I got what he recommended when he was working. He has occasionally led me astray before is the reason I would go with what you guys say.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
So I swapped out the trans fluid and its making much less noise than before but I am sure its not a happy sound that its giving off. Thinking back the tranny is one of the few stock pieces still in the car and would have close to 100k on it with a good 20k of that being beat on in the desert of pheonix so its no wonder doubling the horsepower it was designed to hold isn't making it happy. Who has a 6 speed and is happy with it? What kit did ya go with?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I've driven several t56 cars. Great transmission. D and d transmission should make a swap kit with bell housing drives haft and all

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
after trying multiple ways to get the digital dash to read the fuel level I finally gave in and ordered an aftermarket gauge that would read it. Seeing this thing read properly made me so happy if only for just a second.
C0nWnnR.jpg

After getting this to work I took a look at my off board AFR gauge I have had installed as it lost power a while back. I thought it would just be a loose wire or something and discovered that two of the sensor wires got shorted and it smoked the gauge module. So now I have one of those on order BUT I THINK I CAN READ THE GAS LEVEL NOW!!!!

Zutz23

Reaction score
I am completely ignorant on my trans I am afraid to admit. I know with the new found power will be paying for the education I will be getting, on top of the price of the trans lol. I will probably check or change to what ever you tell me to put in it.

Sounds like a beast tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have had some family in town that has slowed things down as much as I wanted to work on it. I finally got it up in the air just so I could go under it and recheck all the nuts/bolts. I am hoping I found an oil leak that had been hidden until the drive while doing this but only time will tell that. I also found some exhaust bolts that got another turn or two and seems to help quiet things down.
noKeTR2.jpg

I changed the oil just so I could inspect it and it looks clean. I also changed the oil in the supercharger as well. I also added a oil level sensor to the oil pan. I ran the wire last month to the digital dash to light up a warning light if it gets low. I had to make a cork gasket and use a little rtv to be sure it seals.
OzJjhmt.jpg

I also changed the oil in the supercharger just because I had some and its never been done. It recommends it at 2500 for the first change and I am no where near that but it has had some run time on it while tuning so better safe than sorry.
OgQtWdw.jpg

I have also been wanting to put cats back on this thing since I went off road. I had been weighing just getting a new pipe vs adding aftermarket cats to the one I have when these popped up on fb marketplace for $175 brand new.
OfYsaSr.jpg

Those are for a slightly later date yet to be determined. With the noises my trans is making I already am planning on the replacement and will probably just wait till then since the pipe would be coming off anyway. I still need to finish putting the dash together but its snowing now so its not like I would be driving it anyway.

Merry christmas fuckers.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
When I bought my 95 back in 95
That oil level sensor was already installed on mine

I did not know some cars did not come with them already installed
Mind blown

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
When I bought my 95 back in 95
That oil level sensor was already installed on mine

I did not know some cars did not come with them already installed
Mind blown
they are a little expensive($90 for the sensor and harness) but it seems like if I lose the oil that $90 will seem pretty cheap.

When I discovered the valve covers were leaking I realized that they were dripping down into the plugs. A quick inspection showed that was the case and the ones that were oiled were ready to be swapped out. Hopefully the multifunction switch will come in tomorrow and I can get the brake lights working correctly.
TqqliPq.jpg

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have been going back and forth about if I should wait for this tranny to go before I do the t56 or just go ahead and do it now. After some thought I didn't want to end up on the side of the road waiting for a tow and then pick up the pieces so I sold some other stuff and I have the cash for it. I have shopped around and I want to make it easy and get a complete kit and so far silver sport trans has given the best offer with the most complete kit. If anyone else has any other recommendations on where to go its not too late and I appreciate all the info I can get.

For your listening pleasure.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have thought for a while that the wheels would look cool with a red pinstripe. I put the rear on last week and wasn't sure about it enough that I waited a week to see how I felt about it. I decided to put the front on tonight and still not sure. I think I need to see it in the sun from a little further back to decide.

RPUc3YC.jpg

JVk0oBP.jpg

Opinions please as I am unsure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Staff online

Members online