the momstang rebuild begins TOOK A TRIP AROUND THE BLOCK!

joe65

Reaction score
I know I'm late to the pinstriping party, but wanted to say i like it on your car. Looks good.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got to drive it and get the alignment done.

For the cooling issue, I don’t think it’s the wind deflector at all. I’ve never had one on my car, still don’t. My temp stays at 195 even on a 100° day at 145mph.
145mph?

Reaction score
so, I have been busy. I got the polish done and wanted to try out the pinstripe even though I thought the color vinyl was brighter than I thought I wanted. Here is the before pic
PyRTnAq.jpg

So put the stripe on, stand back and I HATE IT... Too bright, too thick just draws too much attention. But I also want to do some stripes on the diffuser that could help pull it together and it does match the rear bumper letters, so I leave it just to see if it grows on me.
CFnXN87.jpg

An hour later I walked out in the garage and my first thought as I am still not use to the shiney paint was "HELL YES!" It surprised me but every time after that I liked it more.
KKn4uvM.jpg

I had been anxious to get it out in the sun to see it for the first time so I did and......
zSJD392.jpg

2ymQSAT.jpg

I want to put a strip down the bottom of each fin, as well as near the bottom on each side.
zN84mPj.jpg

95EOC6C.jpg

The stripe stays although I really hate the idea of vinyl and have already started to look into local artists that can make it real as well as probably match the color in the brake letters.
1kMSgM4.jpg

good to see this thing still exists scott

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I started it up and took it down the street and back slowly to get the temp up. I watched it get up to 191 and then go back down to 185 on the way back. I stopped at a neighbors house and talked to him for 5 mins while it idled and held 190 perfectly. Then I got back in and drove home and let it idle in the driveway for another 10 mins and during this time it started to creep up to 195. When I started the car the upper rad hose was very easy to squeeze, by the time it was done it was impossible to squeeze. I got my infra red temp thingy out and was a little confused to see that the upper rad hose was hotter than the lower.... This means something but what please tell me.

Werecow

Reaction score
Cooler water going in the block after it was cooled in the radiator from the bottom. Thermostat holds the water closed in the engine till it opens up and releases it back in the radiator via the top hose and the circle of life begins again...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I somehow forgot our was reverse flow. Not sure why I always seem to think it goes the other way since I have only ever really worked on this motor...

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
I'm assuming you're not running lean but if you're not running enough total timing in the cells associated with your cruising or driving your engine will run hotter.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're not running lean but if you're not running enough total timing in the cells associated with your cruising or driving your engine will run hotter.

Good luck
Michael Plummer
I just got a new laptop and I am trying to figure out what build I need of the efi software to connect to it and check this and some other things in the tune. Thanks for the advice though

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

Good luck
Michael Plummer
I was finally able to connect. I think I remember my remote tuners final instructions were to take it for a couple of drives and then I needed to transfer the learning to the base table? Its been a while and having never done it before I have to wonder if this is correct....

ksGj3lB.jpg

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I was finally able to connect. I think I remember my remote tuners final instructions were to take it for a couple of drives and then I needed to transfer the learning to the base table? Its been a while and having never done it before I have to wonder if this is correct....

ksGj3lB.jpg
upload_2020-10-17_15-47-57.jpeg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score

ksGj3lB.jpg
Yes, transfer learning to base and then smooth it (that’s the next question asked). Then drive it some more and do it again.

Werecow

Reaction score
Youtube it.... May have been before your time making it's rounds on the interwebs..

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well if you missed my other post about the problems with the rear end, brakes, ect check this out.
https://www.sn95forums.com/threads/my-ass-twitches.76549/

My back I hope was finally good enough to go into the garage today to finish aligning the front end. I say I hope because I will find out tomorrow or later tonight... But with the help of a youtube vid to do a little more accurate alignment with the help of some string to measure this time and I was surprised after that at highway speed it only pulled a little to the right. It was the first time I was able to dive the car with out being a little scared as a back end shifting on you, a front end all over the place and noise while under braking is not confidence inspiring. Today I was finally able to stab the brakes hard enough to feel good that it will stop(and not make noise) and it felt like it was going in the direction I was pointing it. I stopped by the gas station just to top it off as I filled it up last time and only made a short trip in for the first alignment, a few trips through the neighborhood and some time idling so I was certainly surprised when it sucked up 11.3 gallons :) It seems the MPG might have dropped a little bit but it seems to make up for it with the smiles per mile going up drastically. Tomorrow if my back is still happy I am going to clean it up a little bit and go out and see if I can put 100 miles on it, bed the brakes in properly now that I can stab them and visit some friends and take some pics... Today was a good day.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I made a 40 mile loop today and happy to report it all went well. Temp was good, no rubbing noises under braking or any other time and other than it dying once while rolling up to a light it ran perfect. I took it easy and never got above 3500 rpms to let the holley do some learning and enjoyed the ride. I stopped by a friends work and after he said to open the pipes up I realized I have never driven with the cut outs open so I hit the loud button and OMG. When doing that its like I am at an airport terminal, all my departures will be announced.... LOVE IT! I gave it one small hit in 1rst when I left my buddies and I will have to have him get some of that on video to share.
mKyE4rq.jpg

I have some interior rattles to take care of now and I also need to get behind my gauges and complete some wiring but it will be fun to drive it on nice days now for sure.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I took it back out today and got onto it a little more this time since it seemed good at low rpm. I got on it in 2nd/3rd up to 5k prms which was enough to realize that its a completely different car now as it just kept pulling. The power reminded me of when I had my sportbike and felt like I was holding on while it was trying to pull me off. I need to get a buddy to get a sound clip/drive by so you can hear it but its music to my ears. I made some adjustments to the tune and it was running better. I was only going to do 2 drives before I put it on stands to go under it and check everything, pull a plug and check the oil but we are supposed to have good weather all week and I am still waiting a part I want to install when I do the oil change(low oil sensor) so I think I might put off the stands for a day or two and make another trip or two.
kjNk3BF.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online