The PI Headswap and You -

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That kit linked off ebay. best price I've seen.
and my cousin just did it and stated that it came with every bolt, and gasket you need. that's good.

You'll want a helper for a few parts of it.
Getting the new head on with the dipstick tube through the hedder is a PITA.
Also you should zip tie some of the hedder bolts that are right next to the strut tower.
there's not enough clearance to get them in once the head is on.
put them into the head, and tie them together so they stay in but don't go all the way through.

buckets and floor dry are good because you'll loose fluid pulling the head.

I'd also recommend plenty of cold drinks.
good luck

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
alright thanks for your input. so its pretty much straight forward by the books then besides the things you described right?

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
pretty much.

there's the tensioner thingie that's kinda hard to release, otherwise just follow the instructions. :thumb:

BOOSTED98GT

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Other examples:
I can't find the link, but on corral there is a long thread I was involved in, a guy on there was in the same boat, my cousin is in - had a vortec wanted more power, did the PI headswap, kept same boost, all that - gained 110 rwhp.
So supercharged, he gained over 100 HP by only changeing the heads and intake. He did no porting or cams. (that I remeber)
That's impressive.

I think you're referring to Ryan98GT (aka 98Saleen). He went with Fox Lake Heads and aftermarket cams.

I only gained about 40rwhp w/ the Headswap. The only thing I did different was to lower the C/R slightly, but that wouldn't make for a 70rwhp difference. Nothing else was changed at the time. Same tuner, same dyno.

In other words you won't get 110rwhp (~130BHP) from the headswap only on a blown setup.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I dont think that's the same guy.
I asked him specifically about it. He said he was running as much boost as he could on his NPI's.
He said 100 HP, but I have no proof. It could be inflated.

I looked through my Corral PM's, but couldnt find it.
That was years ago.
You could be right, I'd have to do some research.

97_SN95GT

Reaction score
Im so lost. I have the PI heads and cams but Im thinking about getting a custom ground cam from Jay Allen (best cam guy for custom cams) but I dont now if I should keep the NPI heads or just swap the PI heads

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Im saving for that kit. That place is somewhere in Ga, so i'll probally give them a call and go pick one up when im ready. I also want something besides my stock cam, you know try and squeeze a little more out of her.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd definately do a cam, they're more efficient than the stockers.

97 - What do you mean, you say you have PI heads, but don't know if you should keep the NPI heads?
Do you have the heads or not? :)
I'd recommend a cam, there's a number of good grinds out there.

97_SN95GT

Reaction score
I just bought some brand new PI heads and cams but I dont know if I should just keep the NPI heads that are on the motor and just do a custom cam swap or since i got the heads should I just go ahead and swap them out. I am planning on runnin a procharger down the road so Im trying to build up what i got now. Theres too much back and forth for my little brain to concieve

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you already have the PI heads and cams then use them. The PI heads will give you a better selection of cams later down the road.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
True that, you'll also get more top end, especially with the Procharger.
Sould be sweet.
Let us know how it goes!

97_SN95GT

Reaction score
I have a guy that owns a nice cylinder head business and he wants me to port the heads before i go and put them on if I port the headsout will i have to get bigger injectors ive already got the HF Fuel Pump. Would 24's be enough??

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
97_SN95GT said:
I have a guy that owns a nice cylinder head business and he wants me to port the heads before i go and put them on if I port the headsout will i have to get bigger injectors ive already got the HF Fuel Pump. Would 24's be enough??

If your staying NA then the stock 19lb injectors are fine...they are good for over 300rwhp NA.

silverstang1996

Reaction score
i read about all the neccessary parts for the PI intake swap, what website were all those parts numbers from? And another thing, i want to do the whole swap so what kind of accessories would i need to make the PI heads also fit? I was looking at the FRPP head changing kit with all the gaskets and bolts but wasn't sure if that would get me all the stuff i needed, plus the stuff you mentioned for the intake swap.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you do a headswap kit, it comes with the intake and all the bolts and gaskets you'll need.

silverstang1996

Reaction score
yeah but i already would be buying the heads/intake used and would just need the gaskets/bolts and other stuff to put them on.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
All right.
you'll want a head changing kit which has new head bolts.
I'd also get new intake manifold gaskets, and front cover gaskets.
RTV silicone.

Think that's it.
Good luck, you'll like the results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online