The PI Headswap and You -

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by Dalamar, Apr 23, 2006.

1. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

Go over to www.modulardepot.com and go into the ford parts section of the forum and post up...Tell Randy what you have and what you are doing and he will know exactly what you need and give you the best prices on it...Even with the shipping charges he was alot cheaper then my local ford when i did my swap.

2. silverstang1996

silverstang1996 New Member

yeah i did that and he said it was $525 plus shipping for all the stuff necessary, i wasn't gonna pay half a grand in gaskets and bolts for the pi swap so unless i find better prices im not gonna do the swap

3. DropTopPony

I think he might be adding new timing equipment in that price...I only paid @ $300 for all my extra parts excluding the heads/cam/intake...I do know that the head gaskets are insanely fucking expensive on there own and you would be better off buying the head changing kit for $100 then getting the rest of the gaskets/bolts needed.

Another thing is Randy gets alot of requests from people who never buy anything so he may be giving ballpark prices figuring most are just window shopping so until they are serious he won't give the best price...idk

4. phil_the_thrill

phil_the_thrill Active Member

i got the ford head change kit which came with the head bolts, head gaskets, and exhaust gaskets. then i went to autozone and picked up the rest of the stuff i needed and it only came out to $170 with all fel pro gaskets.

5. myillwillinc

myillwillinc New Member

i did the pi head/intake swap plus headers/off-road x-pipe. felt better then a newer pi gt. but after that i went to a 5.4 2v and WOW i was in heaven. the feeling of power was insane. i had a nonpi 5.4 and with a couple of bolt ons i beat fairly stock cobras(cai, exhaust, pullies) now i'm building a 5.4 with stage 3 heads/cams, bored .020" every bolt on you can think of.
    so basicly it boils down to how much time and money do you want to spend on your car to go faster?

6. Dalamar

Dalamar Post Whore Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

Sounds pretty sweet man, the 5.4's are tough motors. It should haul ass when your done.

7. DropTopPony

If i could find a aluminum 5.4 block at a good price i would give it a shot...but the gains in hp/tq and weight aren't worth the hassle of the iron block. But i do keep it in the back of my mind :)

8. myillwillinc

myillwillinc New Member

if u rode in mine u would change ur thinking. i had at first a non-pi 5.4 and it beat a 98 cobra with a few bolt ons fairly easily.

9. Daywalker

Daywalker Member

I've already scored some PI heads/cams, but I need the rest of it. Do I need anything more besides the FRPP head change kit, and the PI Intake manifold? I wonder if Parkway Ford sells the kit minus the heads? ???

EDIT - Just got off the horn with Parkway, and it everything minus the heads/cams is $600 shipped. Is that good or no? :help2:

10. Dalamar

It's ok, but kinda spendy since it's from a dealer.

Top of my head you'll want the head changing kit, front cover gaskets, some RTV and plenty to drink.

11. DropTopPony

Thats about it...The heads/cams are like 700 new...there are alot of misc gaskets/bolts etc besides the intake...which i think is already drilled and tapped for the 2nd sensor plus instructions...so it sounds like a good deal to me.

12. Darkhorse

Darkhorse New Member

Very cool thread!!

13. Adam

Adam Member

19lbs injectors will support 337 CRANK hp at 100% duty cycle....not where you want to run them, nor where they want to run. You need to run 24lb injectors when approaching 300rwhp level. 24lbers will support 426 crank hp. This is on a NA motor, a motor with a poweradder will support considerably less. For example 36lb injectors on a blower motor will only support 480crank hp where as they will support 640 crank hp on an NA motor. The BSFC(Brake Specific Fuel Consumption) is much higher on blower cars. BSFC is the pounds of fuel it takes to make one HP for one hour.

Adam

14. 19inchmustang

19inchmustang New Member

how did you fit that 5.4liter 8)

15. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

Someone wanted to sell me a 5.4 out of a Cobra R for $800......

16. DropTopPony

If it was the complete engine then you should have in a second...could probably sell the intake for double that.

17. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

i believe it was complete but i didn't get a whole lot of info on it.

18. TRUES97GT

TRUES97GT New Member

Hey great post!

Makes me feel good about the Stage II kit I just ordered from Powerheads in San Diego. The difference is that I bought and shipped them the new Typhoon intake to port and match to the ported heads. This should give me another 20rwh on top of the 110rwh they claim from the kit with a stock intake?? I already have all they other standard bolt-on inlcuding plenty of breathing space (95mm MAF, 75mm Throttle body). Have you heard of anyone matching the Typhoon to a set of ported PIs? The kit should be in so I can get to work next week. I look forward to posting the results.

19. DropTopPony

Nice setup but don't hold your breath for a 20hp gain from the ported Typhoon intake...

20. Dalamar

Please do!
    I'd like to get mine port matched as well.

Did you get cams with it?