The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 09/25

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 02/14

I have really been working hard to make progress this week. Every night after work I've been spending a few hours in the garage working on stuff.

Tonight I bead blasted the accessory brackets that I smoothed out last night. They're not perfect, but it's the best I could do with a somewhat pitted Ford casting and limited tools.
Accessory%20Brackets%20Blasted.jpg

Then I spent about two hours powdercoating everything. It's gunmetal gray just like the timing cover. Here's the finished product.
Accessory%20Brackets%20Coated.jpg

Also, while I waiting for some parts to pre-heat in the oven, I saw my throttle body sitting on the shelf. You know that weird brass tube that sticks out of the top? Well, as I've done on previous cars, I deleted it. This is ultra simple and takes about ten minutes.

First, grap a 1/8" NPT tap, and clamp the TB in a vice. Then tap the threads carefully, making sure to use some WD40. Don't He-Man the thing. Go slowly and use some compressed air to clean out the shavings every couple turns to ensure you don't gall up the threads with crap.
Throttle%20Body%20Tap.jpg

Here's what it looks like when you're done. Good enough for the girls we go with.
Throttle%20Body%20Tapped%20Hole.jpg

Then grab a 1/8" NPT pipe plug and screw it in. You're done.
Throttle%20Body%20Plugged%20Hole.jpg

That's all for now. More to come. I need to order some more gunmetal gray powder - I'm running low. :(

Paul.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Those heads are lightly ported TFS-TW, plus I have a ported TFS Street intake, and a 70mm TB. Oh, and shorty headers. I'm looking for about 270-280 rwhp out of this setup. I only have 19 lb injectors, and the TFS1 cam is pretty small, so I'm not expecting much. Down the line I'll probably put a blower or a turbo on it. I just want a fun car to drive.

Paul.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score

cool im looking forward to completion

GaryG

Reaction score

thats awesome man, nice progress

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 02/19

I got my fasteners in the mail today, so I was anxious to get all my accessories mocked up and see how well I can measure bolts. :uglystupid2:

It appears my skills aren't too bad. :) Aside from one bolt missing that they forgot to send me, everything so far is just right. I mocked up all my accessories and they all fit perfect. Now I need to go back and powdercoat the two steel A/C brackets, the alternator housing, my spare A/C compressor which I intend to get rebuilt, the tensioner, and the heads of the large tensioner bolts. (ARP doesn't make bolts that size, otherwise they'd match everything else)

I also picked up a spare T-5 transmission case from a friend, which I intend to blast and powdercoat, then I will swap the internals from my existing tranny into it, along with a few key upgrades designed to increase the torque capacity of the transmission.

Anyway, here are the pics of tonight's mock-up.
Bracket%20Mock%20Up.jpg

Bracket%20Mock%20Up%201.jpg

Bracket%20Mock%20Up%202.jpg

Bracket%20Mock%20Up%203.jpg

Oh, and I got some additional fuel system stuff. I need to get some things to the anodizer as well. I have a vision in my head of how all this should turn out - hopefully I can fulfill that vision!

Paul.

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score

looking good!

that powder coated stuff looks really PRO!

and yea that water pump is a mammoth!

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

you should powder coat your alternator housings. and do something with that compressor. is that of an 82 F150 or what? :hammer:

(just poking fun)

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Dalamar said:
you should powder coat your alternator housings. and do something with that compressor. is that of an 82 F150 or what?

Paul said:
Now I need to go back and powdercoat the two steel A/C brackets, the alternator housing, my spare A/C compressor which I intend to get rebuilt, the tensioner, and the heads of the large tensioner bolts.

:)

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Roger that! my reading button doesn't work some times.

Dairy King

Reaction score

Damn, I love this thread.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score

Awesome work Paul keep us updated as I've already read through the entire thread three times.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 02/24

I didn't have much time this weekend to do much because I went to the track yesterday with my daily driver (yay 13s!) and I have to fly to Kommiefornia tonight for work. :(

However, I did get a few things coated.

These are the steel brackets that hold the A/C in place, as well as the washer for the tensioner pulley, the two tensioner bolts. (because they aren't available from ARP)

Steel%20Brackets%20Matte%20Black.jpg

I'm really busy with work, but hopefully next week I can find some time to do my upper/lower intake manifold, my valve covers, and my tensioner. I bought two pounds of gunmetal gray so I won't run out this time. :)

I also did the part for my friend Trent's quad. It is Super Mirror Orange and this stuff is BRIGHT! The powder looks like Tang. :uglystupid2: It came out pretty nice.

Trent's%20Bumper.jpg

Trent's%20Bumper%202.jpg

That's all for now.

Paul.

94Pro-5.0

Reaction score

looking really good paul, very similar to my set-up

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score

Have a few questions:

• What are the benefits of running forged pistons with no power adder?
  • What do you mean buy main oil cap clearance?
  • What are the benefits and meaning of chamfering the oil holes on the crank?
  • Am I right in assuming the crank was ground to shave weight off the rotating assembly or are there other reasons?
  • I was looking on Probe Industries site and read the compression ratio was anywhere from 9.65:1 to 8.60:1. Is this variability due to the differences of head's combustion chambers? From my experience, the CR seems on the low to average side. Are there advantages besides being able to run a lower octance fuel? Why not put a higher compression piston to boost power?

-Brice

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score

* What are the benefits of running forged pistons with no power adder?
- none really except the fact that you can run more nitrous in the future or it will be stronger to handle a power adder.

* What do you mean buy main oil cap clearance?
- the clearance between the crankshaft and main bearings.

* What are the benefits and meaning of chamfering the oil holes on the crank?
- chamfering is to smooth out the entrance of the oil holes for better oiling distribution to the crank and rods.

* Am I right in assuming the crank was ground to shave weight off the rotating assembly or are there other reasons?
- it would be ground to get the crank to have a specific oil clearance and to make sure they are all the same diameter and roundness.

* I was looking on Probe Industries site and read the compression ratio was anywhere from 9.65:1 to 8.60:1. Is this variability due to the differences of head's combustion chambers? From my experience, the CR seems on the low to average side. Are there advantages besides being able to run a lower octance fuel? Why not put a higher compression piston to boost power?
- yes that is for variations of cylinder heads and different head gasket thicknesses. how much compression you want depends on what your intentions of the engine are. if going strictly n/a you would want more compression to get more power. lower compression would be for more of a power adder like a turbo or supercharger.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

• What are the benefits of running forged pistons with no power adder?

I plan to add a power adder later, but mostly because they were already included in the engine, and thus, free. :)

Fastgtfairlane pretty much covered the rest.

Paul.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Well, not a whole lot new, but I did manage to do one thing tonight - I got my lower intake prepped and ready for powdercoating... which I intend to do tomorrow.

There is still a little bit of residue from the old powder, but the new stuff will lay right over it and you won't even know it was there. I taped off all the machined surfaces with hi-temp tape, razored it to the contours of the manifold, and plugged all the holes with silicone plugs. I bought a HUGE plug kit because what came with my "intro kit" wasn't even close to enough.

Anyway, here's the pictures of the prepped manifold, I'll post the final product as soo as it's finished - hopefully tomorrow. :)

Lower%20Intake%20Prepped%201.jpg

Lower%20Intake%20Prepped%202.jpg

Lower%20Intake%20Prepped%203.jpg

Paul.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 02/28

Well, I just finished up my lower intake and my tensioner.

I thought it might be interesting for you guys to see what it looks like covered in powder before it goes in the oven.

Lower%20Intake%20Powdered.jpg

Then this is fresh out of the oven. It takes quite a while for a big part like this to cool down because all that aluminum retains a lot of heat.
Lower%20Intake%20Cured.jpg

Then this is the finished product. All the masking tape has been removed, the silicone plugs have been removed, and my ARP bolts are waiting for some fuel rails. :)
Lower%20Intake%20Finished.jpg

I still need to do the upper intake manifold, the alternator housing, and the A/C compressor housing. I ordered some pulleys today too - overdrive alternator, and standard power steering and idler. :)

More to come!

Paul.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online