The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 09/25

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 03/02

Chrome doesn't stick to aluminum, but copper does. Multiple copper coats can reduce all the pitting in the casting, which is pretty bad like I mentioned before. All those little pinholes are really apparent when you put the chrome on, so the copper reduces it a bit.

Paul.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Well, I've been working REALLY long hours at work for a couple of weeks, so I've not gotten much done on my car. :nonono:

However, I did manage to squeeze a few hours of car stuff into my schedule today. After another 6 hours of prep today in addition to the 8 hours I've already spent on it, my upper intake is FINALLY ready to be powdercoated.

I finished sanding the intake smooth. This is a LONG process starting with 40 grit sandpaper, then 60, 100, 150, and finally 220. I have four pneumatic die grinders, an electric angle grinder, and an electric vibrating sander. (which does most of the work) I do large sections with the vibrating sander, smaller ones with various die grinders, and tight spots with a sanpaper roll on the end of a die grinder. Although this is a ridiculous amount of work, I've done it before once and it turns out incredible when it's done. Plus, I don't have to worry about seeing it on someone else's car because most folks don't have the tools are just aren't willing to spend this much time to do it.

Here's the pictures after it was sanded down:
Intake%20Sanded.jpg

Intake%20Sanded%20(1).jpg

Intake%20Sanded%20(3).jpg

Intake%20Sanded%20(4).jpg

Once that was all done, it was off to the blast cabinet to even out the finish and take off any remaining original powdercoat. I had to up the pressure to 140 psi to get the powdercoat out from the little groove on the top of the manifold. I had to be really careful when blasting it because just dragging it across the floor of the blast cabinet could scratch the finish.

Here's the final pics of the manifold before powdercoat.
Intake%20Blasted%20(1).jpg

Intake%20Blasted%20(2).jpg

Intake%20Blasted%20(3).jpg

Intake%20Blasted%20(9).jpg

Of course, after it came out of the cabinet I spent about half an hour with a garden hose and a pressure fitting running about 50 gallons of water through it to get out all the glass. Then I followed that up with another 20 minutes with the air hose. Glass will wreck a motor in a hurry.

I'm going to do a custom powdercoat job on this. Probably a two-tone deal with a pinstripe. I've never tried multi-colored powdercoating, but I think I can do it. It should look really neat when it's finished.

More to come.

Paul.

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score

That is a lot of work on that intake. But it will look great when you finish it.

Petek

Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 03/23

That intake is going to look amazing. one of a kind parts are the best.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Oh you guys just wait - you'll like the other stuff I did. :) Hopefully I can post those pics next weekend.

Petek

Reaction score

these pics make me excited to tear into my car and add my custom touch to it.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

I've been thinking about buying OEM bracketry from various Mustangs and powdercoating it. I might be able to make a little money on the side, but I don't know if there would be much of a market for it. Most Mustang guys (at least the ones that own older ones) are cheap bastards and it may not be worth it.

Paul.

Petek

Reaction score

you wont know if you dont try.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Stole a few minutes away tonight and bolted down my lower intake manifold. I also mocked up my new water neck, but I'll bolt it on for real later on. I like the way it looks though...

Anyway, here's some pictures:
Intake%20Bolted%20Down.jpg

Intake%20Bolted%20Down%20(2).jpg

Intake%20Bolted%20Down%20(3).jpg

Intake%20Bolted%20Down%20(4).jpg

I forgot to blast and powdercoat my coolant hardlines so I can bolt them down. I'll try to do that maybe this weekend. I'll also try to do the fuel rails and related stuffs.

Paul.

Petek

Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 03/24

That is going to look awesome, what colour are you going to powder your upper intake manifold?

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

I think right now that I will do a gunmetal gray and ultra mirror black combination with a signal blue (dark, like Ford blue) pinstripe seperating the two.

Of course, that's if I can actually pull it off without it looking like crap. :uglystupid2:

Paul.

Petek

Reaction score

Paul said:
I think right now that I will do a gunmetal gray and ultra mirror black combination with a signal blue (dark, like Ford blue) pinstripe seperating the two.

Of course, that's if I can actually pull it off without it looking like crap. :uglystupid2:

Paul.

That is going to look good! what colour is the car that this motor is going into?

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Pete k said:
That is going to look good! what colour is the car that this motor is going into?

Front.jpg

Paul.

Petek

Reaction score

i love notchbacks.. thats a sweet fox.

Nestromo

Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 02/24

Paul said:
I also did the part for my friend Trent's quad. It is Super Mirror Orange and this stuff is BRIGHT! The powder looks like Tang. :uglystupid2: It came out pretty nice.

Are you in Arizona?

Nestromo

Reaction score

Paul said:
Nestromo said:
Are you in Arizona?

Why do you ask?

Because of the orange quad stuff. Is it for TK's quad (the one he blew up a couple of weeks ago)?

EDIT: Here is a pic... same quad?

punkinhed.jpg

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Indeed it is. The reason his quad blew up was because I already coated his back bumper (which you can see earlier in this thread) which caused a 30% increase in horsepower from the back side of the quad. This caused the piston to side load (since the front bumper wasn't as fast) and ultimately caused catastrophic engine failure.

Now he has equally fast bumpers both front and back, and he should be faster than anyone in his class from now on.

Paul.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Well, had a little SNAFU with the black car this weekend, so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped - but a little progress was made...

I got my throttle body, EGR delete, fuel rails, and a couple other parts back from the anodizer. I had my friend add some awesome to them with his CNC machines. He's my personal CNC christ. I really wish I was a machinist instead of an auditor. :(

I picked up a spare A/C compressor case from a friend, and got it all blasted and ready to coat. I took my alternator apart and blasted the housing so I can coat it at the same time. For some reason, I can't find my stupid heater hard lines or I would've blasted them at the same time. They're around here somewhere.

Given the way the motor looks now - should I:
a) Have the A/C pump and alternator housing polished
b) Powdercoat them silver
c) Powdercoat them flat black

I'm not sure which way to go. I really like the flat black, but I'm afraid it might be too much - what do you guys think?

Anyway, here are the pics:
Throttle%20Body%20w%20Bolts%201.jpg

Throttle%20Body%20w%20Bolts%202.jpg

Throttle%20Body%20w%20Bolts%203.jpg

AC%20Pump%20Blasted.jpg

Fuel%20Rails%20Anodized.jpg

Fuel%20Rails%20Anodized%202.jpg

More to come...

Paul.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads