The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 09/25

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 08/24

Send me a PM with all the stuff you want done and what colors. I'm sure we could figure something out. It doesn't take that long as long as everything is pretty clean and ready to go.

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score

i commend you on your thorough and sanitary work. Everything looks very professionally done and like new. :thumb:

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

I don't have a lot of money - but I do have time and attention to detail!! :)

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

So this weekend should be a good one for the notch. I will be completing...

:banana: :banana: THE SUPER NOTCH EL-CHEAPO FRONT SUSPENSION SWAP!!! :banana: :banana:

So because I don't have tons of money and I'm somewhat of a cheap bastard when it comes to this build, I've been trying to assemble the nicest front suspension I can without breaking the bank. Since this build has been going since November of '07, I've had some time to scour the internet for good deals on parts. The front suspension on this car was literally SCARY when I bought it. There was so much slop in the front end that the car switched lanes on me once and scared the shit outta me. It was then I decided that not one part would remain. Everything will basically be thrown in the trash and new stuff put on.

Thus far, here's what I've got:

Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates - New - got 'em for $80
Caster%20Camber%20Plates.jpg

Mystery coil-overs with mystery springs - Used - got 'em from a friend. Haven't given him any money yet, he hasn't told me what he wants. These will work until I can afford some Maximum Motorsports coilovers with probably Bilsteins.
Coil%20Overs.jpg

Steeda Bumpsteer-Adjustable Outer Tie Rod Ends - Basically New - got 'em for $70 shipped on the Corral
Outer%20Tie%20Rod%20Ends.jpg

Stock Fox Steering Rack - Used - Free! A buddy gave it to me. :)
Steering%20Rack.jpg

Delrin Steering Rack Bushings - New - Free! My friend made them for me on his CNC machine. :)
Steering%20Rack%20Bushings.jpg

Flaming River Steering Shaft - Used - Got it for $60 shipped. It was all surface rusted and looked terrible which is why I got it so cheap. Luckily, I have a blast cabinet so it's good as new! :happydrunks:
Steering%20Shaft.jpg

PA Performance Tubular K-Member and Mystery A-Arms - Used - $250. That includes the Delrin A-arms bushings that my friend made for me for free.
K%20Member%20Assembled.jpg

OEM Ford NOS (New Old Stock) 1994-1995 Spindles - New - Picked these up for $80 from the Bondurant School here in Phoenix when they sold all their Ford stuff.
Spindles.jpg

Moroso Wheels Studs - New - Got them from a place local to here for about $20
Wheels%20Studs.jpg

Timken Hubs - New - Got 'em for about $100 from Rock Auto if I remember right.
Hubs.jpg

I'm going to re-use the struts that are on the car for now - they work fine. I think they're Tokico blues... Don't remember. This should allow me to get the car on the road and drive it and enjoy it a bit. Once everything is sorted out, I fully intend to both road race and drag race the shit outta this car. :hammer: I've got some stock '94 brakes I could rebuild and put on this, but if I find a really great deal on Cobra brakes I'll go that way.

So I've assembled all this stuff for less than $700!! :)

More to come this weekend!

Paul.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 09/05

cool, you got ya a nice project to assemble there.

The Coils are the GMS parts, I had the same set my first go round with coilovers.

Great spread for the $$

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Well, I ran into a minor snag today. When we were machining my bushings, we modeled them after my friend's car which happens to be a 1979 Mercury Capri. It turns out that they have slightly different size rack bushings, and they don't fit. :( According to my dial caliper, I have almost twenty thousandths interference fit so despite my best efforts with my deadblow mallet - this is definitely a no-go.

As a result, I have delayed my suspension swap until next weekend. I order some urethane rack bushings, end links, and swaybar bushings from StangSuspension so they should be here sometime next week, at which point I'll be ready to go. It's all part of putting cars together I guess... but still a bit of a let-down. I was excited to make big progress this weekend. :(

Paul.

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score

man you got a steal on what you got for your car. that will for sure be a fun car when you are done with it, it looks that you will be setting it up to be sort of a g-machine that will be able to do it all. superb work my friend

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

That's what I'm hoping, I don't think it will be "fast" in any venue, but I'm hoping it will be good enough to be lots of fun in any venue. :) If I can run 13s at the strip, and beat it mercilessly on the road course, then I'm a happy camper.

Paul.

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score

thats whats up. dont have to be stupid fast to be a great car.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

super nice work as always paul. Hopefully both mine and your experience with coil overs on tokico blues will be a decent one, as I haven't found anyone who can vouch for them,

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

The Tokico's and "mystery" coilovers aren't a permanent solution for me. I'm going to use them to get the car on the road, then likely replace them with bilsteins and MM coilovers down the road when I can separate myself from $800. :( Who knows though, maybe they'll work out great! My biggest concern is that I have no idea what spring rate I have, and they're probably crappy drag springs.

Paul.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

Yea, spring rate is a big deal when it comes to coil overs. 25#'s can make a noticeable difference. A friend is trading me his qa1 coilovers with 300# springs for my brand new steeda sports. It will be interesting to see how they perform. I may step down or up on rate eventually, if I do, i'll be selling the 300 springs. He was a big road course guy.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

I still need to get up in the attic and see if I have any extra usable springs up there. I've got a variety of springs for the racecar, but they're all very stiff (like 450-500) so I don't think I can use them.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

Paul said:
I still need to get up in the attic and see if I have any extra usable springs up there. I've got a variety of springs for the racecar, but they're all very stiff (like 450-500) so I don't think I can use them.

Well i don't believe a tokico blue could take that kind of spring rate. I know bilsteins give out a bit over 350, and we all know tokico's a good shock, just not super compared to a well tuned bilstein. However I believe tokico D specs that are adjustable could take such a high spring rate.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

I wouldn't ever run something that high on a streetcar. The suspension on my racecar is so stiff you can literally jump up and down on the core support and the car will barely move. I run custom valved Koni double adjustables with those spring rates.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

you almost have to lol. It would take probably 5 miles before a set of bilsteins were wore out from that spring rate

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online